Chapter Eight

Spectrum {[Apply Closed]}

 

There was a silence that followed the filming crew’s departure; the members were all just relaxing and thinking of what exactly they had to talk about, not all of them really knowing since they all thought they knew each other pretty well.

“What exactly are we supposed to be talking about?”

“We’re supposed to get to know each other,” stated Younghun, looking up from where he was staring at the flames of the first, looking around to the other members who had spread out around the fire – some struggling with the fact that the wind was blowing the smoke into their faces.

“Don’t we already know each other though?” questioned Jay.

“We do, but do we really know a lot about each other aside from our names, birthdays, and a little – not a lot – of our past?” asked Younghun, “They probably want – no, they want – us to talk of our past because they feel as though we’re not getting as close as we should be cause we don’t honestly know each other.”

The younger males nodded, watching as the elder chewed on his lip.

“Something bothering you hyung?” asked Minseok.

Younghun shook his head, “Who wants to go first?”

“Is this something we all can just suddenly choose to talk about?” asked Shin.

Min agreed with the male, for once his arrogant side didn’t appear.

Younghun sighed, “It’s not, but Andy-hyung is right we can’t really get closer until the walls come down and we start to trust each other more.”

The boys nodded.

“I was talking to Andy last week and he told me that this needed to come because some fans – not a lot, but enough to be recognized by the company have begun to notice that we are comfortable together, but we don’t seem like we know each other all that well,” stated Younghun, “They’ve started seeing the fact more recently than when we first started the show.”

The boys nodded in understanding yet again and they fell silent again and the silence was the first thick silence they had had in a while – even Minseok and Sora were quiet, which was quite an accomplishment.

“If you are so determined to get us to suddenly speak about our past, why don’t you start us off, hyung,” stated Minhyun, the tone of his voice making the elder flinch a bit.

Younghun looked around the little circle they had made and observed the other members Shin’s usual expression was nowhere on his face and the male looked rather frustrated, Minhyun was sending a slight glare towards the elder who he was joking around with just hours earlier, Minseok was fidgeting in his chair, Chris was playing with the hem of his shirt while shying away from the flames of the fire, Sora didn’t seemed too bothered by what was going on, Woo Jung sat silently not really showing much emotion as it was, Minki sat sipping on one of the various water bottles he had brought to sit around his chair, Xue was staring at the oldest but his mind was elsewhere, and Jay just sat curled up in his chair staring.

The oldest’s attention was brought back to Minhyun as the other male laughed rather bitterly, “Why are you so hesitant about telling us about your history? You probably came from perfect house hold with a hard working appa and a stay at home umma who catered to your needs. You’re probably just one of those snobby, rich kids that think their life is the worst in the world when it’s nowhere half as bad as others’ lives.”

Almost all of the members flinched at Min’s words – Woo Jung gave the older male a warning glance; however everyone’s attention turned back towards Younghun to see a look of pure rage on the elder’s face – for the first time ever, the male’s smile had vanished from his face.

“Being rich isn’t everything,” growled out Younghun.

“Bull sh*t,” responded Minhyun, “Your life couldn’t be that bad.”

Younghun stood up, “It wasn’t but things happen and you learn to lose trust in people…you know what, forget it, why should we be talking like this if it’s only going to bring hostility up towards each other? My life might not have been as hard as yours Minhyun, but sh*t happened in my life too. Sh*t has happened in all our lives not just yours.” The older was trembling from how much anger he felt – not just towards Minhyun but towards himself. “Forget it, do whatever you all want.”

“Hyung,” called a couple of the members – trying hard to get themselves to move towards the oldest member who was walking away from the camp. However, their calls fell onto deaf ears and in seconds, the camp was engulfed by a tense silence.

“Why did he get so hurt?” muttered Minhyun.

“May because you attacked him,” muttered Minseok towards the other.

“We don’t really know about each other’s past – we know you escaped from North Korea but other than that we know nothing about you like how we only know he came from Jeju – we only know of his sister, brother-in-law, and their children. Other than that we don’t know anything about his life in Jeju,” stated Shin, “Also, I don’t think he’s ‘ hurt’ because of the argument but of your comment that pretty much implied that he was a snobby, rich kid who pretty much lives a life of luxury with no worries in his life. Plus that you implied he had people catering to his needs. I think you hurt because you’ve brought up a stereotype that he’s had to deal with – the label set on him – that he has had to deal with for his whole life.”

“What do you want me to do then? Apologize?” muttered Minhyun.

“That’s always a good start,” muttered Shin, “but also don’t automatically bring up stereo types.”

“We could come up with quite a few for you,” muttered Sora, earning a glare from the older male.

The boys carried on a light conversation, letting the eldest member to calm down a bit. When the elder returned, he was visibly calmer, but it was obvious that he was still not in the best of moods.

“Hyung,” muttered Xue rather quietly from where he was in the seat next to the oldest member, “are you okay?”

The oldest nodded, forcing a smile on his face – trying to reassure the younger of his words, “I’m fine, don’t worry about me.”  

The younger looked at him with doubt but nodded, leaving the elder alone, not wanting to bother the older male, who was still visibly tense.

“Minhyun,” muttered Younghun, breaking the tense silence that had enveloped the boys upon his arrival, “Guys,” the oldest casted a quick glance towards the other members before turning back to Minhyun, “I’m sorry for walking away like that – it might have seemed a bit immature, it was immature, but I needed to get away because you struck a very dangerous nerve to strike.”

The boys nodded in response, understanding the elder for his action.

“Minhyun, I just wanted to let you know just because my family is rich doesn’t mean I live a life of luxury because when you go to a school with other rich and arrogant bums, it’s almost impossible to make friends who like you because of you and not because of money – it is also difficult to find someone who actually wants you and not your money,” stated Younghun, “those whom I went to school were really good actors and actresses, they’d always get you to trust them only to – days later – stab you in the back and betray you; spread your secrets that you thought would never get out. Not all ‘rich’ people are like this, but a lot of them are – the world I lived in, in Jeju was pretty much a life of politics. It was where people would become ‘allies’ with people only to turn around and talk sh*t about their so called friends. I understand that you’ve had hardships in your life as well and I’m not saying that you didn’t, I’m just telling you not to just jump to stereotypes.”

The younger nodded, but still didn’t speak.

Younghun fell silent again, but look like he was going to say something – that he wanted to, but could really get the words to come out, “I put up with the constant backstabbing, only to be stupid and naïve and forgive others so that they could then again betray my trust. Over time, the trust wore off – especially when I moved to Seoul with my noona and entered SM Entertainment, where I was beat up by a group of kids who I thought were my friends – after the first beating many followed. Of course I fought back, but still, they kept coming back. Even though the wounds they physically inflicted healed, their words stuck with me. Yeah, it’s gotten a lot better in Top Media, but those wounds are still there.”

The other members listened to the oldest, slightly afraid of the scolding tone in his voice, “The main reason I came to Seoul wasn’t just because I was trying to chase my dream of being a singer, but because I wanted to get away from the whispers about how I was some loser chasing a silly dream, about how my dad hated me for the dream, and how my mother was under so much stress from my ‘dangerous’ dream that I kicked her to her grave early.” Younghun then added, “I wanted to get away from the girls who had dated me not because of me but because of my money – the girls that stole money from my wallet when I wasn’t paying attention, some even resorting to steal a couple of my cards, however, I moved to Seoul only get the same words that I did before.”

The older fell silent again before speaking once more, before speaking, “Listen, I’m not trying to conjure up sympathy for me – I honestly don’t want it, I’m just trying to tell you, don’t hold people to the stereotypes they fit under. Don’t automatically assume something about people, most of all, do not pin me to some petty stereotype. “

The boys fell into silence yet again, absorbing the older male’s past. Woo Jung and Shin glanced towards the other male who had been on the other end of the argument, the male sighed and turned towards Younghun.

“I’m sorry,” muttered Minhyun, not really wanting to say the words due his ‘pride’ but knowing that he should.

“Well, since we’ve started on our topic of our pasts, I guess I could talk about mine a bit,” muttered Minseok slouching forward in his chair, “I lived in a normal house hold, I attended school like a normal person and made average/above average grades. I lived happily with my sister, my mom, and my dad but that happiness ended up when I noticed my mother was pregnant again, my parents began to argue a lot and when my mother did finally give birth to my brother Xing, my father vanished from our lives. He didn’t die – at least from what I know – he just walked out. Through a vacation to visit my cousins here in South Korea, my sister, brother, and I realized that we belong here and decided to stay here with our cousins. Our mother left us here and went back to Japan. As for my past experiences training, I had been in TS for a couple of years and was in SM for a single year before coming to Top Media – I won a lot of trainee contests for my voice in SM and TS.”

The others hummed in acknowledgement, the tension surround the group dispersing a bit, Minseok’s story finished and another member spoke up about his life – bring them all to do it at some point, well most of them.

“My parents travel a lot,” stated Sora, “I used to travel with them, but their bosses suddenly stopped giving them tickets for me to travel with them. As I grew up, they taught me proper manners and a proper attitude – I guess that it what you’d call it.” The male’s comment made the others chuckle a bit, “Also, they told my siblings and I to find something we love to do, which is why they never complained about my choice to come here to Korea to become a singer and even bought me an apartment here. When I got to training, it was heck, dancing for so long.” Again the other members laughed, “somethings happened and I had to leave Cube Entertainment thought,” muttered Sora, looking a little sad as he remembered the reason he had to leave Cube and who he had to leave behind, “However, I came to Top Media and quickly found friends and  life got better.”

Chris frowned slightly, “I don’t have much of a story aside from the fact that my family moved to Korea from Qingdao, China and my parents opened a flower shop and ten months ago I got a younger brother.”

“It’s okay that you don’t have a big story to tell,” muttered one of the other members, their voice too low to specify who it was, “It’s probably best.”

Chris smiled slightly at the words.

“I guess I go next,” stated Jayden, “When I grew up, my brother and I were inseparable – we really did everything together. We moved to Union City, New Jersey before moving to Seoul since my appa got a job as a college professor here in Korea, which led to me wanting to chase after a music career. After five years of trying to convince my appa to let me do it, he finally let me audition. I was in JYP Entertainment, however when I partically tore my ACL, the dropped me and that lead to me joining Top Media.”

Minki then decided to speak up, playing with the fabric of the chair he was sitting in, it was a thin fabric to make the seat slightly comfortable, “My family is a long line of businessmen, the first born has been a male in for ten generations and they always become high ranking in some company, whether or not our family owns it. My family is rich and it is really traditional,” muttered Minki, a little uncomfortable, “My mom was against my dream of becoming a singer, she thinks it’s some phase I’m going to grow out of – she thinks that I’m going to come home and go to business school. I originally started in SM Entertainment, but then moved into Top Media for a fresh start.”

The boys nodded and the attention turned towards Ha Joon, who timidly spoke up, “I was also raised in a high class and wealthy family. My family was caring and loving, and we lived in Beijing, China. However, when I turned nine my appa’s business required him to move to Bucheon, so we did – despite me being appalled by the idea. I honestly hated everything about South Korea, but I’ve come to love it. I was scouted into NH Media when I was leaving school one day. I took advantage of the invitation to audition and ended up getting in to the company. I then later joined Top Media in 2010.”

The boys were staring at the male in shock, Minhyun then spoke up, “So you do speak.”

“He does,” muttered Younghun, the tension was still between the two, but it was just a little flame now, making those around them able to relax again.

“Who’s next?” asked Minseok, smiling towards the remaining three, who sat a bit reluctant to speak.

“Guys, if they don’t want to speak, they don’t have to,” muttered Younghun, eyeing the three remaining members, “They can open up whenever they’d like.”

“If I have to, I’ll talk,” muttered Woo Jung.

“You don’t have to, but it’d be nice if you would,” muttered Sora, “maybe it would make the tension between all of us disperse completely.”

The others sighed and looked at each other and Woo Jung spoke up, “Don’t expect this to be as long as some of yours or as detailed.” The other members nodded and Woo Jung spoke up, “My parents died when I was eleven and when my sister was one and we were forced to live with our grandma who made me work for our keep. As soon as I turned eighteen, I moved to Seoul so she could attend a better school. That’s it.”

The others looked at him, a little shocked, but no one said anything, seeing as how the male looked like he didn’t want anyone to say anything to him. The attention turned to Minhyun since Woo Jung had spoken up, they expected him to do so as well.

Seeing that the others were all expecting him to talk, he sighed and muttered, “My father passed away when my mother was pregnant with my younger sister. We came to South Korea as refugees and when I was fourteen we found a permenate home with our distant relatives in Seoul. The end. That’s all you need to know.”

“That’s all we need to know,” muttered Younghun, his smile back on his face, making the other glare at him slightly.

“Shin-hyung, it’s your turn,” stated Jay, cutely.

Shin looked at the magnae and sighed. Again, Younghun repeated, “If you don’t feel comfortable speaking, then you do not have to speak.”

“I feel that I need to speak though,” muttered Shin, he sighed, “I was born in Busan, and I was a star player on my school’s soccer team and was in a dance crew in middle school. I quit music for a point in time. I got into a fist fight during a game and ended up having to transfer schools, I moved to Seoul when I was 16 with my mother and brother. I was rather popular in my last two years at school.”

“That wasn’t too hard, now was it?” asked Jay, blinking towards the older male.

The 93 liner shrugged and the direction of the conversation changed and the boys returned to how it usually was with Minseok and Sora being rather loud – this time including Chris and Minki into the conversation. Woo Jung was talking with Shin and Ha Joon listened in to the two’s conversation only to be distracted by Jay who started to speak to him. Younghun watched from where he sat in his seat as the others held a stead conversation with each other, the oldest looked towards the youngest 93er and saw that the male was back to be rather arrogant.

The oldest shook his head and stood up, “I think I’m going to bed.”

“You’re no fun hyung,” muttered Sora, “Going to bed as soon as we actually get rid of all the tension.”

“Sorry, I’m human and get tired,” muttered Younghun.

“You’re not human if you’re going to sleep so early,” muttered Minhyun.

“It’s not early last I checked, it’s past midnight,” responded Younghun, the two both acting like the slight attack towards each other earlier never happened.

“Who is sleeping in what tent?” muttered Jay, “Are we really going to sleep in the tents for our teams?”

“I think we’re supposed to,” muttered Minseok, turning towards Shin and Younghun, “Right?”

The two nodded towards the younger, “We go to the tent we set up.”

Younghun sighed, “Going to bed or not, I’m taking out my contacts.”

The eldest they moved into the tent.

“We should play some sort of game out here,” muttered Chris, “Isn’t it a bit boring to just sit around and talk all night?”

“What game could we play?” questioned Minhyun, looking at the four that had come up with the idea to play a game, “We’re pretty much out in the middle of nowhere and it’s dark aside from the few lights around and the campfire.”

“We could play hide and seek,” stated Sora.

Younghun exited the tent, wearing thick framed black glasses, “Because that is going to work so well in the dark.”

“Hey, those hiding would have plenty of places to hide,” stated Shin.

“The seeker would have a major disadvantage,” muttered Jay.

“That’s the point,” stated Sora, a smile playing on his lips.

“How about the four of you go and play it and tell us how it turns out,” stated Minhyun.

“Don’t give them ideas,” griped Younghun as he looked up at the sky, a sigh escaping his lips, “I don’t want to have to go looking for them and I’m sure the rest of you don’t want to either.”

“We could just leave them out there,” added Woo Jung, siding with Minhyun.

“Alright,” muttered Younghun, “but you’re the ones that are going to have to face the wrath of Hyun Soo.”

The others laughed and then the whole group – with the exception of Younghun – had a conversation together including all the boys. The boys all decided about an hour later that they were going to have a snack before finally going to bed – remembering that they did resume filming the following day. The boys all stood up and saw that the oldest was still sitting in his chair.

“Younghun – hyung!” called Ha Joon, trying to get the elder’s attention. The older groaned and blinked at the nine groggily.

“What?”

“Were you sleeping?” asked Jay.

“Did it look like I was?”

The others all nodded and the oldest shook his head.

“What did you all want?”

“We wanted to let you know we were going to have a snack before bed,” stated Minseok, “Plus, the way you were sitting looking uncomfortable.”

“We were also wondering if you wanted some.”

Younghun nodded and yawned, standing up with the rest and moving to where their food was stored – the boys happily ate their snack and Shin and Younghun were stuck with the task of putting out the fire. Once they were done, the moved towards their tents, biding the other a good night as well as the opposite tents’ inhabitants. 

 

Sorry if I disappointed any of you with this chapter. There will be more interaction in the following chapter and it'll help you all get to know the boys better. Anyway, it may be up in the next twelve or so hours, if it isn't then it isn't going to be out until Monday...

 

This is random, but have any of you heard 2PM's "A.D.T.O.Y" yet? I listened to it once and didn't really like it, but then after listening to it a second time I've become addicted to it.