Class Trip Pt. 4

A Wall In between

Note for last chapters. I know I keep going on about snack but the reason why I say 'snacks' is because here in the UK Chips as everyone else in the world calls them are called crisps. French fries are called chips here. So I didn't want to confuse anyone since I don't know what you would call them in your country because if I call them Chips, my friends over here would ask me since when I carried around french fries on trips... Well you know all the junk food we take on trips anyways and Hyunsoo and co. is no different.

 


 

 

“Hey, what’s that under the bed over there?” Myungsoo asked.

 

Why, do you have to cause so much trouble today Myungsoo…

 

The girls look at each other and froze.

 

“Are you guys hiding anything from us. You’ve all gone awfully quiet.” I looked around and the girls were looking around hoping that someone would sort this mess out. All the other boys turned towards the bed that Myungsoo pointed at.

 

“We put our bags under the beds. It’s the most obvious thing to do to clear some space.” I managed to stutter some words out. “Don’t tell me you guys don’t do that.”

 

“I don’t mean the bags. There is a piece of paper there.” This Myungsoo can’t keep his mouth shut for a while can he?

 

“It’s probably a clothing tag or something like that.”

 

“No, it looks like a piece of paper.” One of the boys who was close to the bed leaned towards it and reached out for it.

 

“Hey! We’ve got a minute left. Girls lets head out before these guys.” Jihyun managed to catch everyones attention and turned their attention towards the time and just like she said, we had a minute left before going out.

 

“Let’s go guys! We don’t want to lose do we?” Minhwa announced to which all the boys got up and headed out.

 

We were saved by Jihyun, the time and their own Captain.

 

“Damn that was a close call.” Mijin let out a sigh of relief.

 

“We should hurry out too before we are late.” Hyunjae stated. We all quickly cleaned up the mess and ran out towards the playing field and were greeted by the boys who were sitting on the sand waiting for us and Ms. Choi who was holding a scoreboard.

 

“When did the net get here?” Eunji asked. The net wasn’t here when we left the beach to change.

 

“Yo!” We turned around and it was Jaehyun who smiled at us. “I was asked to set up a net by your teacher.”

 

“Way to go Miss.”

 

“By the way, where were you girls. I thought you wouldn’t come since the boys were here already.”

 

“We had to clean up the mess ‘some people’ made before coming here!” Choa said before staring straight at the group of boys who just innocently smiled back at her.

 

“What mess?”

 

“The boys raided our emergency food supply!” Hoosook explained to Ms. Choi.

 

“Hold up. You mean to tell me that you all had a food party and didn’t bother inviting me while I was busy setting up the net for your game?” She asked sternly.

 

“We didn’t plan it. They just barged in and made themselves comfortable.”

 

“Can we just stop yapping and start playing?” Jongdae asked. They boys were already spreading themselves out and we observed them. They naturally took a position on their side of the field without thinking too much about it. It’s as if they knew exactly where to stand and what their strongest points are. But like we predicted, the shorter people would line up at the front while the taller players would line up right at the back. It seemed as if they were using their instincts to choose their positions. But the fact that they seemed confident with their positioning and observed their surrounding and their team members around them made us worry a little.

 

“Before we start, the game is forty minutes long. The team with the most points wins, obviously!” Jaejong explained.

 

Our teacher took out her stopwatch and started setting the time to forty minutes. We looked at each other and nodded before taking our positions. We all memorized our positions and the people around us. We knew who was good at defending and who was good at attacking. Everyone knew what they were doing, which people they could pass to. We took a minute to look at all the open spaces on the other side of the field and planned where we could hit the ball.

 

Our opponents were a little impressed with the way we dealt with the situation and were surprised that Minah and Choa were near the front lines as they were two of the taller team players.They’ve seen some of us play other games such as basketball during mixed PE lessons and knew a little about our strengths and weaknesses but no as much as we knew about most of them. To be honest, some of them looked a little intimidated by the looks on our faces trying to concentrate and observe our surroundings.

 

“Who’s going to start?” Ms. Choi asked. Although the other team was impressed by our efforts,  they were still too confident with their own team.

 

“We’ll let the girls go. After all, ladies first!”

 

“No! We’ll toss a coin to decide who’s going to start. Don’t treat us like we are weak opponents!” I answered. They were taken back by my comment but agreed. Both Minhwa and I left our positions and headed towards our teacher who had a coin prepared.

 

“I’ll choose heads.” I said.

 

“I’ll choose tails then!”

 

Ms. Choi threw the coin in the air and it landed in her hand which she covered with her other hand before flipping it around. As she took out her hand we could clearly see the outcome.

 

It was heads.

 

“The girls get to go first!” Ms. Choi announced. Minhwa and I headed back our respective sides of the field.

 

“Way to go Hyunsoo!”

 

I turned around and the other team was still confident.

 

“Guys, treat this as a football game. Just focus and try to pick out the opponents weak spots.” Minhwa told his own team.

 

“Hey Minhwa, stop coaching your team like you and your team are professionals. Get ready to be beaten!” I shouted over to the other side.

 

“I’m not sure if you can actually feel this too but don’t you think the girls seem a bit angry and serious about this game? It’s a little scary…” Jaejong pointed out. “They are glaring straight at us.”

 

“Well if they are serious about this, it’s going to be fun! They might actually be a bit of a challenge to beat.” Jimin commented.

 

“Hey, you over there. Don’t get a big head!” Jaehwa shouted back.

 

“Okay, enough fighting everyone. Let’s start!” Ms. Choi said. Everyone became focused on the game once again. Since our team was going to start, the teacher handed over the ball to us. We decided ahead that Hyunjae was going to start off so Minah who got the ball from our teacher handed it to Hyunjae. We all looked around once more trying to find the open spaces around us and making sure we are aware of them.

 

As soon as Ms. Choi blew the whistle and started the stopwatch, Hyunjae threw the ball in the air. The boys kept an eye on both the ball and Hyunjae who was getting ready to hit the ball with all her might but were thrown off guard by Choa who ran towards the ball instead and hit it with all her strength. The ball flew towards Minho who was right at the centre and just like the others, he was caught off guard by our first move.

 

“Hit it Minho!” It was Minhwa. The boys seemed to have snapped out of it and Minho lightly hit the ball towards Youngjae who hit the ball over the net to our side of the field.

 

“Mijin, that’s yours!” Jihyun shouted. Mijin who was at the back tried to look out for it and passed it to Sunhi who was in the middle. Sunhi hit it over the net onto the other side into and open space between Youngjae and Jimin. Our teacher blew the whistle.

 

“One point to the girls!” She announced and wrote it down on her scoreboard. We smiled at each other and took our positions again. Jongdae had the ball this time. He threw it in the air and hit it over the net.

 

“Yuna, it’s coming towards you.” I said. Yuna got ready and hit the ball towards Hyunjae who was getting ready to hit the ball over the net. The ball flew over the net and flew towards the open space between Myungsoo and Jongin.

 

“We won’t fall for the same trick twice.” Myungsoo declared before running towards that open space and hitting the ball over the net once again. This time the ball flew quite a distance towards Eunji.

 

“Eunji!” Jihyun called out. Eunji hit the ball towards Choa who knew that it was going to come to her and got herself ready. She hit it over the net to the boys’ side once again. The ball landed in the open space between Jongup and Jongdae and our teacher blew the whistle once again.

 

“The girls scored another point.” Some of the boys started to look a little uneasy at this point. Sure, the first point could have just been lucky but now that we scored another point it didn’t look like luck anymore. Minseok took the ball this time and hit it over the net but Choa who’s one of the tall members right at the front hit it right back and the ball landed in the empty space behind Minseok.

 

“Way to go Choa!” We cheered.

 

Minhwa took the matters into his own hands this time. He hit the ball with all his force towards the me. I took a moment to look at it and everyone waited for me to act.

 

“Leave it! It’s going to go out of the field.” I announced. Like I said, the ball landed out of our field and we gained another point. At this point the other team just glared at Minhwa for using brute force.

 

“We want a timeout!” Minhwa declared. Twenty-five minutes of the game has already past and we are down to the last fifteen minutes.

 

“Do you accept the request?” Ms. Choi asked our team. I looked around and some of us could use a little water break. We agreed in the end and noticed the boys gathering up in a circle on the other side. They are probably going to plan something.

 

I walked to get my water bottle and was greeted by the other girls.

 

“We actually managed to get a good start.” I said.

 

“Yeah. I guess brains does actually help!” Eunji answered and laughed. We all looked over to the other team and saw them discussing something.

 

“Knowing Minhwa, he would have probably caught on. They are probably making a strategy for themselves.”

 

“But then again, that’s why we made a plan B!” Sunhi smiled. It did put us to ease somehow.

 

“I think they might have a feeling that we are going to change our positions.”

 

“Yeah, but still. Having Jihyun and you command us around really helped us.” Hoosook said.

 

“We did say that it does have it’s cons too. Hyunsoo and I can’t concentrate properly on our own defences with us observing the rest of the field. That’s why we are an open space to score on!” Jihyun explained. What she said was true. The only reason why we agreed on this plan was because it would take the other team time to figure out that Jihyun and I were actually the ‘commanders’ as you like to call them. We would call the name of the person who the ball was approaching but it was also a signal for the second person to get ready since we already planned out who is going to throw to who.

 

“We have to remember that Minhwa knows about this all as a captain. Not just him, but the rest of the team would have probably noticed what we were doing all along during the game. They would have probably picked up that in that formation the space between Jihyun and I is our weak spot. They have played matches against teams they have never seen before so they can easily adapt to these things.”

 

“Are we going to use plan B then?” Mijin asked. I nodded.

 

 

In Plan B Jihyun and I are going to be on different sides of the field this side. She will be in charge of people on her side and I will be in charge of people on my side. In Plan A Jihyun and I were both on the same side and I took over the front line while she watched over the back line. We have have discussed this line up too and everyone knows who to throw the ball to.

 

“Okay, it’s time for the second round. Please get back to your fields!” Ms. Choi announced.

 

We are currently ahead by four points. It at least put me to ease thinking of that. Us girls were the first ones to get on the fields and arrange ourselves. The boys just watched us line up in our new positions. Judging by their expressions, they weren’t too surprised by our new line up. They waited for us to finish before lining up themselves. As they lined up, we noticed that they didn’t really seem like the last line up. It seemed a lot more thought out this time.

 

 

“Since the ball landed on the girls’ side, they’ll start.”

 

The teacher handed the ball over to our team and Hyunjae passed it Sunhi to start. As the whistle blew, Sunhi threw the ball in the air and was about to hit it. Some of the boys looked at Choa who pulled off a trick along with Hyunjae last time. Choa was also getting ready to hit the ball however the boys knew we won’t pull the same stunt twice and focused on Sunhi instead.

 

But they were wrong. Choa hit the ball again this time just like planned and it flew over the net but was blocked by Myungsoo who was right at the front who hit the ball straight back over the net to our field. It flew towards Eunji.

 

“Eunji, that’s yours.” Jihyun stated. Youngmi who was going to receive the ball also got ready. Eunji passed the ball to Youngmi who hit it over the net.

 

“Jongdae!” Minseok called.

 

“I’ve got this one!”

 

The ball flew towards Jongdae and he hit the ball on Minseoks command. The ball flew towards Jimin and he hit it over the net in Jihyuns direction. Jihyun hit it towards Hyunjae who hit it over the net.

 

“Jimin, it’s coming back to you!” Myungsoo called out. We expected Jimin to hit it over the net again but he hit it to Myungsoo who hit the ball towards me. I hit it towards Choa who hit it back to their side. Minhwa however blocked it like Myungsoo did previously. It was going towards Jihyuns side of the field.

 

“Youngmi!” She called. At first it looked like it was going towards Youngmi but it flew straight past her and landed behind Youngmi and in front of Jihyun. The whistle blew.

 

“The boys scored one point!”

 

“Alright!” The other team shouted. Our team was too busy looking towards Jihyuns side who was still in shock.

 

“Jihyun it’s okay. It’s just one point!” I tried to reassure her. She looked at the rest of us and we send her reassuring smiles. We looked back at the other team and were a little confused.

 

Myungsoo swapped his position with Jaejong and Minhwa swapped with Minseok.

 

Hyunjae was passed the ball instead to start this time.

 

Thirteen minutes passed. The boys have caught up with us already. I’m sure that I’m not the only one who noticed but Myungsoo, Minhwa, Jaejong and Minseok rotate around once in a while and stay on the outside while everyone inside stays the same. It took me some time to realise but I’m sure it’s to confuse us. Also, those four are their commanders who are incharge of their own quarters of the team. We managed to get another point however and right now the score is 5:5.

 

“Jihyun. You’ve caught on right?” I asked.

 

“Yeah. They took our strategy and made it their own.”

 

“This is the last  two minutes!” Ms. Choi announced. The commotion actually attracted some other guests who were staying in the hostel to come and watch along with some of the staff who were on their break.

 

It was their turn to start off since we scored. Right now, their ‘commanders’ are back to how their were when they started with Minhwa and Myungsoo at the front and Jaejong and Minseok at the back. Minhwa was going to start off. He hit the ball straight across the net. I was on my side of the field. The other team would have figured our strategy out by now.

 

“Minah!” I called. Minah was getting ready to deflect it. I started running forward.

 

“Toss it to me!” I shouted. Minah was caught off guard by what I just said but still managed to toss it to her right. I hit the ball over the net but Myungsoo blocked it and hit it straight back to where I originally stood.

 

“Mijin. Take that one!” I commanded. She managed to hit it and the ball flew straight to Hyunjae.

 

“Hyunjae.” Jihyun called out. Hyunjae hit the ball over to the other side.

 

“Sehun!” Myungsoo signalled Sehun to get ready. Sehun hit the ball towards Choa.

 

“Twenty seconds!”

 

“Choa. Jihyun. Yuna!” I shouted. The fact that I called Jihyun and Yuna threw everyone off guard again but they knew what I meant. Choa hit the ball back to Jihyun and she hit it to Yuna.

 

“Yuna. Put all your force into it!” I shouted.

 

“Here you go Yuna!” Jihyun passed the ball to Yuna and Yuna hit it with all her force.

 

Yuna hit the ball.


Ms. Choi blew the whistle.

 


Authors note - Dun dun dun, another cliff hanger hehehe. I know someones probably cursing me while reading this right now. lol xD

Well, who do you think won? I really want to see what you think. It only takes a second anyways ^^