Last day

A Wall In between

The performance finished with a blast. Today is the last day. Our last day. I'm still quiet saddened by the fact that 11A will never be the same anymore. We've been together for five whole years. Believe it or not, non of us actually got along in the beginning. We all had fights and arguements but in the end, we all became something like a big family. It's quite overused to say that people grow up as a family but in reality we've become siblings, not through blood but through pride. For the last time, I decided to wear my uniform. The uniform I was always proud to wear. I headed out to school earlier than I planned and dropped by at some places.

 

I entered school with my hands full with bags. I was still early and snuck into our homeroom. As I opened the door, I saw Ms Choi. I let out a little 'kya' scream and she looked at me.

"Hyunsoo, what are you doing here so early?" she asked. Oh no, I have to hide the bags.

"Oh, I was planning to meet my hoobae here but seems like he is late." I said and turned around ready to go.

"Hyunsoo?" she called again. Uh, oh, busted. I guess she saw them.

"Yes Miss." I answered.

"Hyun Jae told me to tell you to come upstairs. She said that you had to get a photo taken for a yearbook or something." she said. Way to go Hyun Jae! Even I wouldn't have covered it up this good.

"Yes, I'll go now." I said and was about to leave. I guess she didn't see them.

"Hyunsoo?" she called yet again. I turned around. Maybe she saw them this time.

"Why are you so tense for? It's your last day here so don't be so tense and enjoy your time here." she smiled. I guess she didn't see them then. I gave out a sigh of relief and hurried upstairs before she called me again. I walked up the stairs and saw just one room open. It was a music room we always used to 'practice' singing in. Hyun Jae and Hoo Sook still use it for guitar practice while we just go and watch. I peaked in before entering whether it was the right room.

"Yah! Where have you been?" Mi Jin shouted.

"Sorry, I was held back a little." I apologised.

"Just start helping. The room isn't finished yet. Did you bring the balloons?" Jae Hwa asked.

"Yes." I said and handed her the bags with the decorations in. "I still haven't got the cake yet. I was worried that it'll melt."

"Don't worry, we can tell one of the boys to do that." Hyun Jae said. Young Mi and Sun Hi started blowing the balloons up and handed them to Mi Jin and Hoo Sook who hang them up.

"When is everyone else coming?" I asked.

"The boys went out to get the food. Ji Hyun and her friends went to distract Ms Choi." she explained.

"We have assembly shortly so we have to hurry up. We have to start signing the card too." I pointed out. Just as the boys arrived, I started giving the card out so they could all sign it. 

"Have you done the photo collage yet?" one of them asked.

"Ye- wait why am I doing most of the work?"

"It's just for today Pres." he joked. Hoo Sook was the last person to sign the card.

"Keep the card until the end of assembly as Ji Hyun lot still have to sign it." Young Mi said.

"Yes. Keep it safe. Don't loose it. Protect it with your life!" Jae Hwa warned. We finished decorating the room. It was filled with balloons and confetti. It reminded me of the first day of school where she did something like this for us.

"There you are." Minhwa shouted. I looked up. It was Myungsoo.

"You're late Myungsoo. Put some effort into waking up." I complained.

"Says the one who normally wakes up after me." he commented sarcastically.

"He got the cake." Sun Hi pointed out.

"Great we'll leave it here." Minhwa said. Everyone left the room one by one and I gave Hyun Jae the responsibility of locking the door. Hoo Sook had the card which Ji Hyun and her friends had to sign. The collage is in the room too. Everything was ready.

 

We entered the assembly hall and sat in our usual rows. The other three classes joined us along with our Hoobae classes. I feel really grown up right now. I wanted to stop time right now at this moment. Our headteacher introduced the assembly and handed it over to the debuty head who ranted on and on on how we grew up so well and how we used to be really naughty. Everyone had blank expressions and looked at the time once in a while.

"I would like the class presidents to come up on stage." he finished. If I had to do a speech, couldn't I just do one from here? I got up while my whole class gave me thumbs ups and cheers and walked onto the stage along with the other three class presidents. We all bowed in front of the head teacher and debuty head.

"We would like to thank you four first. You probably grew up the most out of the whole year group. We hope you'll become really big leaders in the future." the debuty head started. He is going to start talking again. It feels like an award ceremony.

"As the debuty head, I am proud to send you all off as students of this very school. You four lead the classes well and represented our school as people who the younger students could look up to. Yesterday, every single one of you made sure that the summer fest was a success. I saw all four of you patrolling the area, looking out for younger students and helping every class. I am also incredibly proud of the class 11A who managed to amuse not just teachers but also students and visitors from other schools." he said and stopped. I hope that's it.

"I would like everyone of them to say a few words." he announced and handed the microphone to me. "Starting with class 11A." I got the microphone in my hand and looked around nervously. The crowd was smiling at me which didn't make me nervous. It made me want to laugh instead.

"Well, I don't really have much to say. I have to admit that 11A was the best though." I started off and got a lot of cheers for my side of the room while the others where just 'boos'.

"Okay, okay I get it." I laughed "A lot happened over the past few years. It seemed like we started school yesterday. To think that this day finally came, it's amazing. Nothing will have a bigger effect on my life than High school." I said.

"I don't want to bore you all so I'll just hand the mic over." I laughed and handed it over. I stood there silently during the other speeches. After they were done, we headed down again and sat down.

"We would like to finish off the assembly with your hoobae's sending you off one by one. Starting with 11A in alphabethical order." the head announced. The names were called out in alphabethical order.

"Kim Jae Hwa." Jae Hwa was called up onto the stage. Hoo Sook was next up. Since she was still hiding the card, she started to figit a little. It caught Ms Choi's attention.

"Hoo Sook, stop figiting, she is looking." Mi Jin pointed out. Hoo Sook couldn't help it. The card might get found out if she wasn't careful. She had to get up next to go up. I nudged her.

"Hey, she is coming here. Pass the card back. Minhwa and Myungsoo are sitting there." I said. She did as I told her. I told them to pass it on to Ji Hyun to sign it later on.

"Hoo Sook, are you fine? Do you have a fever or do you feel unwell?" Ms Choi asked.

"N-no Miss, I was just shaking. It's the last day." she lied.

"I don't know why everyone is so tensed today. First Hyunsoo and now you." she said and everyone shot me a glare. She started walking back and I apologised to everyone for being close to blowing our cover in the morning. Hoo Sook went up next after Jae Hwa followed by Hyun Jae. I was next.

"Lee Hyunsoo." I was called. I walked up onto the stage. I was expecting Sooyeon but it was Yoomi instead. As I walked towards her, she bowed and I bowed in return. She handed me a flower bouquet.

"Thank you." I said as I bowed.

"I should be thanking you sunbae." she said. "But before that, I want to apologise."

"For what"

"I always tought of you as an immature and childish idiot." she started. I felt a little hurt. "But I saw how much you worked yesterday. I heard that Ji Hyun sunbae was meant to play the main role instead but after she collapsed, you managed to learn the lines and improvise the play after practicing for just two hours. Also, you pulled everyone through the play after that mistake and it made it an even bigger hit. Everyone is still talking about it. To be able to be so close to your class and to be able to be such a great leader, I'm really sorry for misjudging you sunbae. I hope you'll forgive me." I bowed.

"There is not much use now is there?" I asked. She kept her head down. "Look Yoomi, I'm not doing anything because I'm the class president, instead I like doing it as a member of the class. You still have quite a few years left. Make good use of it."

"Thank you sunbae, I will." she smiled. "It was really hard fighting with Sooyeon over doing this. He had his eyes fixed for handing you the bouquet. I can understand why he respects you so much."

"I'll catch you around then. Let's exchange phone numbers later." I smiled before walking down. I went and sat down and watched the rest of the assembly. I laughed at the interaction between Sooyeon and Myungsoo. I guess he is still mad.

 

After assembly, everyone walked to the music room upstairs and Ji Hyun managed to safely get the card upstairs. Ms Choi remained in the hall to talk with a few teachers.

"We have to make her come here." Young Mi said.

"Does anyone have a plan?" Ji Hyun asked.

"We can say that a fight broke out." Minhwa suggested.

"We already used it once. It won't work again." Hyun Jae pointed out.

"We can say that Ji Hyun fainted since she wasn't feeling well again." I suggested.

"Great, who is going?" Jae Hwa asked.

"How about Mi Jin?" Sun Hi suggested.

"She will fail again like yesterday." Jae Hwa teased.

"How rude." Mi Jin said making everyone laugh.

"Hyunsoo can go." Minhwa suggested.

"She proved to be a 5 star actress yesterday so I don't think there is any problem." Myungsoo said. His voice was slightly sarcastic. Was it a compliment or a cuss?

"Okay go" Jae Hwa pushed. I walked downstairs and saw her heading upstairs. I have to do this. But I felt bad for lying. I ran down as fast as possible and when I reached her, I pretended to take in deep breaths.

"Miss..... Ji Hyun." I stopped.

"What happened?" she asked. She looked tensed.

"Ji Hyun fainted." I pushed out. She was shocked and we both ran up. I was trying not to laugh while I was running behind her. We entered the room and everyone blasted party poppers.

"Surprise" we said insync. She was frozen. This wasn't the first time this happened so we got used to it. Ji Hyun who was meant to have fainted helped our teacher to her seat.

"Sorry for hiding it. It wouldn't have been a surprise otherwise." Ji Hyun said.

"Shall we start this party?" Minhwa asked. 

"Yeah!" everyone said. We started dancing around, singing, and cutting the cake in the end.

"Gather up guys, I have to make an announcement." Ms Choi said.

"Guys, it's time for the speech." Young Mi joked.

"You may start." Sun Hi laughed.

"Well, I didn't expect this so I didn't prepare anything. I just want to say how proud I am to have had an amazing class as you. You're all so different, yet you all treat eachother as siblings. You've grown up quite alot and I'm proud. Everyone knows that this will be my last year as a teacher at this school. Soon I will be called Mrs. Park instead. It makes me happy to think that I have finally found that one person just for me. I will miss the time when everyone called me Ms Choi though. I will miss everyone dearly. And we all have to exchange phone numbers!" she said.

"Oh yeah, if anyone ends up not coming to my wedding, I will give them a 4 hour detention every day for a year and give them litter duty." she added. The class laughed and she headed back to her seat. I put my hand up.

"I, as the class president would like to add a few words." I said in a sophisticated manner.

"Quit the accent." Jae Hwa said.

"More speech time." Young Mi added.

"Can we just hear the speech already?" Hoo Sook complained.

"Calm it." I said and walked up infront of everyone. They were all sitting in front of me.

"Okay, I've rehearsed this speech but I seemed to have forgotten quite a lot so I will improvise." I said.

"That's nothing new." Jae Hwa laughed.

"First I want to start off with the collage." I started. Minhwa and Mi Jin carefully carried the collage to Ms Choi. 

"I realised that I took quite a lot of pictures over the past 5 years. I used them all to create a collage. We put all of our photos together and made this. We seriously had a hard time to decide what to do. I guess this was the best we could think of. Also, during assembly, it might have looked like Hoo Sook was smugling something. Don't worry she is underaged so I won't allow her to either." Everyone looked at Hoo Sook with a smile and Ji Hyun handed Ms Choi the card.

"Please keep it safe, we had a hard time hiding it throughout assembly." I said and everyone laughed. "Now moving onto the real speech"

"There is more?" Minhwa moaned.

"Yes." I smiled. "I won't make it too boring. First of all, I want to thank everyone for co operating. I remember 5 years ago, I could say that we literally hated eachother. I remember hearing arguements everyday and having to try and sort them up. The members of the football team always had fist fights. Jaejong used to pick fights with Minhwa. I used to pick fights with Jaejong. Mi Jin and Jae Hwa used to bully me. Sun Hi, Young Mi and Hoo Sook were in their own little corner. Ji Hyun and I only started getting along a while ago. Myungsoo joined a while ago and he got into fights too. In the end I noticed how much everyone grew up and these complaints became less. As an only child, I know how it is to have siblings now. I now know how it feels like to be loved by an older brother or to argue with a younger sister. It's all because of you. I might sound like an old lady telling her story from 50 years ago. But I realised that in 50 years I'll do the same anyways, why not do it now. We worked through 5 Summer fests making stalls in the heat, selling food in the rain, making costumes for the haunted house, making cakes for the Cafe and last but not least, putting so much effort into our final Summer fest. We've been on many trips together. We've lived together. We've seen things die and we've seen new birth. It feels like eternity, but at the same time, it feels like we all became old in just a day. I think I sound too overdramatic as most of us are going to go to the same college anyways. But for those of you leaving us behind, and for Ms. Choi, I want you to know that I'm really honoured that you gave me the opportunity to be the class president. I enjoyed being in 11A and I hope everyone, whether they go to a different college of stay in this one, will succeed in life and never forget about this class and what kind of people it formed. Thank you so much." I finished off.

I saw a few of them crying and before I noticed I was shedding a tear or two too. Some guys in the corner hid their faces while wiping their tears. I was truly grateful for the person I became after such a long time. A 5 year struggle of my high school has finally ended and now onwards I will continue as an independant person. Sure, most of these guys will come to the same college as me but 11A will end here and now.

"Wait why are we all crying? We still have our trip left." Myungsoo pointed out.

 


A/N; Sorry not a good chapter and not a good author note either. If you want me to put random skits in the author note like the previous two just tell me and I'll be happy to do so. Again sorry for the crappy chapter, I'll definitely improve next time.

Thanks for reading guys :D