Minhwa

A Wall In between

 

"Wanna go out for lunch together?", I asked Myungsoo.
 
"Well I dont have anything better to do so I dont mind", he answered. We all went to our little shelther and sat down on the benches and started eating along with some talk. 
 
"So what kind of music do you listen to?", Hyun Jae asked. I kmow the answer. He is going to say 'All sorts of music. Depends on my mood'.
 
"All sorts of music. Depends on my mood", he answered. I was right.
 
"Any specific bands?", Mi Jin asked. He thought for a moment
and shook his head.
 
"Any idols you look up to?", Hoo Sook asked. He thought again.
 
"TVXQ", he answered.
 
"TVXQ?!", both Hyun Jae and I screamed.
 
"They are awesome. I love them all!!", Hyun Jae got excited. Myungsoo stopped eating to glare at us for a while and continued.
 
"By the way.. that plaster. Its.... cute", Young Mi said. Myungsoo stopped eating to glare at her and continued.
 
"I can see its one of Hyunsoos creations", Jae Hwa laughed
 
"Yep. I call it the special lovey dovey punishment plaster for
boys", I laughed. I could see that Myungsoo was tempted to take the plaster off. I grabbed his hand.
 
"Dont even think about it!", I warned. He glared at me and kept eating.
 
"Come on we all expected you to talk. All you said were 7 words", I moaned.
 
"I said I'll join you because I have nothing better to do", he replied.
 
"We dont want you here then. Get lost", I said while pushing him off the bench lightly.
 
"By the way one of the notifications was about needing senior students to manage a drama/music club", Hyun Jae brought up.
 
"Wasnt it abolished last year?", I asked.
 
"Abolished?", Myungsoo asked.
 
"Yep. The students last year were much more creative than our year. After they all graduated no one was left", I explained.
 
"You two should do it", Hoo Sook said. We all looked at her giving confused looks.
 
"I mean the script reading both of you did was really good. Myungsoo is really good at acting. I never even knew Hyunsoo could act and we all knew eachother for a long time. Also you can play the piano cant you?", Hoo Sook said.
 
Piano? Myungsoo looked at me with a worried expression. So did the rest. My expression darkened.
 
"I'm really sorry Unnie...", Hoo Sook said after realising what she just said.
 
"Dont worry its long forgotten. Besides I'm the class president so I dont have much time on my hand. But Myungsoo can do the acting. Can you play any instruments?", I asked trying to change the subject again.
 
"Yes the guitar", he answered making our jaws drop. Not literally by the way.
 
"Wooooah", we all said insync.
 
"Thats so cool", Sun Hi said.
 
"Remember when we all wanted to play the guitar and never got a chance to", Mi Jin reminded, "Especially Hyun Jae, Hyunsoo and Hoo Sook". We all looked at eachother.
 
"Can you teach us?", I asked.
 
"What?", he sounded confused.
 
"Can-You-Teach-Us-?", I asked emphasising every word.
 
"I'll think about it", Myungsoo said.
 
"And think about the placement to establish the Drama/Music club too.", I added. He nodded. We all talked together and bit by bit Myungsoo started to join into the conversation. After a while I saw a tall, strong builed figure pass the shealther. He had messy black hair and wore black track suit bottoms and white trainers with a purple hoody. He jogged to the water fountains. 
 
"Be right back", I said before jogging to the water fountains too.
 
"Hi Minhwa", I said and bowed.
 
"Hey Hyunsoo is everything okay?", he asked.
 
"Yep. Seems like the tournament is giving you a lot of stress", I said after seeing his sweaty face.
 
"Yes it sure is especially if I have to coach three teams", he said.
 
"Well at least you have your own team to support you on that", I smiled.
 
"Otherwise I would have been dead by now", he joked.
 
"Come to think of it you missed so many lessons because of this. I can give you my notes after you are done", I offered.
 
"You are the class president after all", he teased.
 
"Yep and I have to make sure none of the bright students drop in grades", I laughed.
 
"By the way did you want to say something?", he asked.
 
"Oh yeah. Year 9 Kim Monsoon cant attend practice today because he caught a flu", I said.
 
"Thats bad to hear especially with the tournament coming up", he worried.
 
"Thats why I told him to stay home today.", I explained.
 
"Well good thing he did. We need a strong player like him. He is quite stubborn when it comes to football I never knew he could be convinced to stay away from practice", he joked.
 
"It was tough. His brother tried but even he couldnt make him listen", I laughed.
 
"He has a brother?", Minhwa asked curiously.
 
"Yep. Kim Myungsoo from our class.", I said.
 
"Really?!! They are total opposites!", he said.
 
"Yes I know I figured that out", I smiled.
 
"By the way you are really nice to that Myungsoo guy although he showed you attitude a few times", he said, "I wonder if there is anything going on", he elbowed me. 
 
"No no he is just my neighbour and as Class president I have the role to help everyone in our class", I sighed.
 
"Neighbours?!! I thought you were dating or something", he said.
 
"Of course not", I laughed, "Anyways I need to be going my friends are all staring at me. Good luck with the tournament and dont dissappoint me. Fighting", I pumped my fist and smiled. He too smiled and pumped his fist. I waved and left and skipped back.
 
"What are you so happy about?", Myungsoo asked.
 
"Nothing. Just felt like skipping.",
I answered.
 
"Is it just me or has everyone from you elementary school grown apart from you!", Jae Hwa teased. Myungsoo looked confused.
 
"Minhwa and Hyunsoo went to the same Elementary school. They were friends aswell", Young Mi explained. Myungsoo got up.
 
"I'm going ahead", he said and left.
 
"That guy gets random moodswings every minute", I thought out loud. Everyone laughed and we all left aswell. Next lesson... maths. We all headed up the stairs towards our class room and sat down. Mrs Sung was teaching us the sin and cosine rule. After she finished we did some exercises in the book and the class finished. As soon as she left I went up the the front and asked the girls at the front if anyone isnt here and marked the register. I looked at the back to see the boys who cause so much trouble in the morning talking among themselves and not causing any trouble. I looked at the time. We still have 10 minutes left.
 
"Listen up guys. I have done the register. You can all go 10 minutes early today", I said. Everyone packed up and smiled and left. Myungsoo was still there with his head down. I walked up to him and tapped his shoulder.
 
 
"We should try and get this done early today.", I looked around the class room. As usual there isnt much mess. Myungsoo got up and put the chairs up while I sweeped the floor. He then whipped the whiteboard and got his bag. I put the broom back and got my bag too.
 
"Lets go", he said and started walking. I followed. We walked side by side.
 
"How about we get some food for both of us and your brother?", I asked. He nodded and kept walking. I dragged him into a little shop. I bowed.
 
"Good afternoon Ajusshi", I said. A old man around the age of 50 greeted me.
 
"Good afternoon Hyunsoo! I havent seen you around in a while. Who is this you brought with you?", He asked after seeing Myungsoo.
 
"He is Kim Myungsoo. My neighbour.", I answered. He smiled. Myungsoo bowed.
 
"Good afternoon", Myungsoo said.
 
"Good afternoon young man", he smiled.
 
"Ajusshi can we have two special lunch meals and one chicken soup to take away. And please make the chicken soup spicy.", I said. He knew what I meant. Although I've never tasted the chicken soup, I've heard rumours that it could cure a flu instantly. I paid and both Myungsoo and I bowed and left. We walked in silence.
 
"Myungsoo this is getting heavy. Carry this for me", I said holding the bag with the food.
 
"Rock paper scissors?", he asked. I nodded.
 
"Rock paper scissors.", we both said. I chose paper he chose scissors.
 
"I won", he said before walking.
 
"Come on I carried this for so long now.", I pleaded. He still didnt seem convinced.
 
"Please I'll do anything", I pleaded once again.
 
"Anything?", he asked. He giggled. 
 
"Do aegyo", he laughed.
 
"But"
 
"No buts. If you want me to carry the bag, do aegyo!"
 
I couldnt look him straight into his face.
 
"Myungsoo Oppa can you please carry this bag for me?", I asked. This was too embarrassing. He smiled teasingly but then took the bag off me and started walking. I walked behind him. We reached his house.
 
"I'm taking a shower and I'll wake Monsoon up after", he said and headed up stairs after handing me the bag. I took it to the kitchen and placed it on the counter and went to the sitting room and took my blazer off. I looked at the time.
It passed so quickly. I decided to go to the kitchen and warm up Monsoons soup. I took a spoon and headed upstairs to Monsoons room and knocked on the door. Noone answered so I went in and woke him up. I felt his forehead. It was still burning. He seemed to have lost his voice too.
 
"Here drink some soup and get some sleep. The captain doesnt mind you getting rest", I said and handed him the soup. Monsoon seemed somewhat relieved and drank his soup. I gave him a cup of water and he went back to sleep. I walked out as soon as he fell asleep before looking at the time. Its been 40 minutes since Myungsoo went inside. I knocked on the bathroom door. 
 
"Yaah Pea brain! Open the door",
I shouted.
 
"Why", he said before opening the door. He was wearing black clothes again and was drying his hair with a towel. I looked at him. 
 
"Dont I look handsome after a shower?", he asked.
 
"You wish", I laughed.
 
"Why did you call me?", he asked.
 
"Your food is getting cold", I answered.
 
"What are you?", he asked.
 
"Human", I answered.
 
"Really? I thought you were an ape", he laughed.
 
"Shut up pea brain.", I said.
 
"Dont go sounding like my wife", he said.
 
"Who wants to do that", I asked while laughing.
 
"Just go back to the kitchen and warm the food and come upstairs.", he said. I glared at him but did as he said. I heated the food and went upstairs and gave him his plate. We were both hungry so we ate the food without any talking. I handed him the empty plate and he placed them on his desk. He got up and went to get something from downstairs.
 
"Sit there", he said pointing at the bed. I sat on the bed and he came upstairs with a pink acoustic guitar.
 
"It might be a bit big for you but I think it should be fine once you get the hang of it.", he said and handed me the guitar.
 
"By the way its a left handed guitar so it might not be of any use. I bought it for Kyunsoon long ago but I never had the chance to give it to her", he explained.
 
"Thats perfect then because I'm a lefty too", I smiled. He got out another black guitar and sat next to me. He started to teach me the strumming techniques and basics of a guitar. He then showed me his hand.
 
"I've been playing guitar for so long now the skin on my fingers got really thick", he explained. I nodded.
 
"You might get cuts there and here but your skin will get thicker that way", he continued. I nodded. He then taught me the C and G chords and told me to play it after I mastered them.
 
"Okay you are doing good for a beginner", he smiled, "Make sure to practice". I nodded.
 
"Thanks", I smiled and handed him the guitar. He looked at me.
 
"Its for you to keep", he said.
 
"Are you sure?", I asked.
 
"Sure! I was going to throw it out anyways!", he smiled.
 
"Thanks a lot Oppa", I laughed. He joined in.
 
"I'll help you cook in return", I smiled.
 
"Why not", he agreed. We both went downstairs and prepared some dinner. I took my blazer and my bag and Myungsoo gave me the guitar in a guitar bag.
 
"Thanks again Myungsoo", I smiled. He nodded. I went back home and put food downstairs for mum and me and went to take a shower. I came out and looked at the time. Its 6:43pm. I dried my hair and went into my room. The guitar caught my attention. I took the bag and sat on my bed and opened the bag. I took out the guitar and played the two chords Myungsoo taught me today. I was about to put it back when I saw something on the bottom. An engraving?
 
'Forever is a long time. I wouldnt mind spending it by your side'
 
I could still feel that Myungsoos filled this guitar with feelings for that Kyunsoon girl. I'm really sorry Myungsoo...