Plans

A Wall In between

 

"Myungsoo?", I called. No reply. He probably fell asleep. Guess he didnt hear what I said. Maybe he shouldnt know that. Its better if he doesnt.
 
Maybe I should go to sleep too... I woke up in the morning. I went downstairs after dressing and had breakfast. I waited for Myungsoo and Monsoon and went to school. After dropping Monsoon of, Myungsoo and I headed to our homeroom and sat down. We saw students come in one by one. I looked at the time and we were 5 minutes into homeroom session but there was no sign of our homeroom teacher. Myungsoo flicked paper at me.
 
"Oww.. what was that for?", I asked.
 
"Take over homeroom", he whispered. I got up and headed to the front. I marked the register and looked at the time. She still wasnt here.
 
"Does anyone know where Miss Choi might be?", I asked the class. No reply. The door opened and Miss Choi entered with a bright smile.
 
"Oh Hyunsoo you took over homeroom for me thanks", she grinned. She was in a good mood.
 
"There is no need to apologize. Just make sure to come on time next time", I replied.
 
"Of course Miss Pres", she smiled. I bowed and went to take my seat. Jae Hwa kicked my chair. It turned around.
 
"Yah what was that for?", I whispered.
 
"She seems a bit too happy today dont you think", she said. Mi Jin overheard the conversation.
 
"I'm glad that I wasnt the only one thinking that.", she said while turning to face us.
 
"Maybe we are just imagining things", I said. Both of them just thought for a while.
 
"Maybe we are thinking too much", Jae Hwa muttered. Mi Jin nodded and turned around. Like that the whole day passed. Myungsoo and I were left doing classroom duty. 
 
"You can go home without me", he said, "I have football practice".
 
I looked at him. I put up the final few chairs.
 
"I have to go and write reports up for the term. It will take me around an hour anyways", I replied.
 
"Then I'll come and get you. Just dont move from where you are", he said and left. 
 
I put one chair down and put my glasses on and started the writing up the reports for the last term. This will have to include the students performances and any incidents that happened in school regarding the students of our class. I have to write one up every term and present it to the head in meetings. I had to mention grades and the football tournament aswell. To be honest I'm going to miss this position. Next year I wont be in high school anymore. This will probably be one of my last reports. I finished writing the report and checked through to see if I made any errors. I heared a knock on the door.
 
"Come in", I said. Myungsoo entered the room in his kit.
 
"Looks like you are done", he said. I nodded.
 
"Wait who are you?", he asked.
 
"What kind of a stupid question is that?", I asked.
 
"I never recognised you with glasses. You look so mature!", he said amazed. "How come you wear glasses".
 
"I always forget them at home. Thats why I have to copy Young Mis notes most of the time", I said.
 
"You actually look like a class president with those", he teased.
 
"You are getting on my nerves", I said annoyed. He laughed. I got up and put the chair up. I then grabbed my bag and we both left the room. We walked to the staff room to give the report in.
 
"Is Miss Choi here?", I asked.
 
"No she left an hour ago. She had to attend a meeting.", a teacher said. I thanked her and bowed and we went to the headteacher to give the report in personally. We then walked home.
 
"Can we go and get a hot chocolate?", I asked.
 
"Where do you want to get it from?", he asked.
 
"There is a coffee shop nearby. But we would have to take the long route through the shopping mall", I said.
 
"I cant be asked", he moaned.
 
"Come on. Please!", I begged.
 
"Okay okay"
 
We walked through the shopping mall to the coffee store and were about to enter. Myungsoo tapped my shoulders.
 
"Isnt that our homeroom teacher?", he asked. I looked through the window and nodded. She sat in the coffee shop with a man around 30. He was tall and slender but built but handsome. He had dark brown hair and wore a white shirt and a tie. A business man? Miss Choi wore a red dress and held her coffee and thats when I saw it. A ring on her ring finger. She is getting married?
 
"Hey do you see that?", I whispered to Myungsoo.
 
"Yes she is sitting with a man", he whispered back.
 
"No not that. She is wearing a ring", I replied.
 
"Is it a crime to wear a ring?", he asked.
 
"Its an engagement ring stupid", I said. He looked more closely.
 
"Want your hot chocolate or not? If you dont want it lets go!", he said and was about to walk off. I grabbed his hand and grinned.
 
"Lee Hyunsoo you are not thinking of spying are you?", he asked.
 
"Of course not. I just feel like drinking my hot chocolate in the store today", I grinned. I dragged him inside trying not to catch attention. We sat a few tables behind them so we can see them but they cant.
 
"May I take your order?", a lady came and asked.
 
"One Latte and one hot chocolate", Myungsoo ordered. I was too busy watching them. The lady went.
 
"Dont you think they make a cute couple?", I asked. He thought about it.
 
"What would you know. Why am I asking you in the first place?", I asked myself. We got our order and started drinking. I tried listening to the conversation.
 
"When do you want to plan the wedding?", Miss Choi asked. I couldnt help but cringe my fingers. Its too cute. She is so embarrassed its cute. Myungsoo just gave me the look. He finished drinking.
 
"Now that you finished can we go?", he asked. I didnt reply. He got up and pulled my hand.
 
"You never mind your own business do you?", he laughed. He paid and we left.
 
"Dont you think the are cute?", I asked.
 
"Yes", he replied.
 
"Really? You think so too?", I asked.
 
"I just said that because you would have repeated the question again if I said no", he replied.
 
"True. But they are cute!", I smiled.
 
"Okay okay they are a cute couple they are cute!!", he got really annoyed.
 
"I'm glad you agree", I smiled again. He just started getting angry.
 
"You see Myungsoo, Miss Choi has done a lot for us for over 4 years. We never got to repay her.", I said.
 
"So got a plan?", he asked.
 
"I think you know what I'm thinking of", I replied. He nodded. 
 
"I will discuss it with the class tomorrow. Tell Minhwa and the boys to meet me at the playground after school tomorrow. I will tell the girls. By the way you have to come too", I said. He nodded. We finally reached home and I headed upstairs. She will be really happy. 
 
The next day came and we all met up after school.
 
"Hi guys I got major news. But you cant tell anyone!", I said. Everyone looked at eachother.
 
"Whats with the suspense? Tell us already!", Jihyun said.
 
"Miss Choi got engaged!", I said. 
 
"What?", everyone said insync. I told them the story in the coffee shop and chatter broke out among themselves.
 
"I got a plan. Miss Choi took care for us for nearly 5 years now. We never got a chance to pay her back though. We will also graduate this year! This is the only chance we will get!", I said.
 
"Just tell us already", Minhwa moaned.
 
"An engagement party! With the whole class. As a surprise of course. I can handle all the formalities but we have to work together as a class to accomplish this", I said.
 
"Sounds like a plan", Hyun Jae agreed. Everyone agreed too. 
 
"Thats great", I smiled. "We do have to plan now and split up the roles".
 
We all decided to sit in the playground and started collecting ideas. Ji Hyun finally came up with a good one.
 
"A masked ball?", she suggested.
 
"Please expand on it", I said. 
 
"Isnt it every girls dream to have a Cinderella moment?", she asked. The girls all went into deep thoughts while the boys sat there confused.
 
"Sounds good any objections?", I asked. Everyone agreed.
 
"I will put Ji Hyun and her friends in charge of the decorations", I said. They nodded. 
 
"That reminds me I know a good DJ", Minhwa said.
 
"You know what to do", I smiled. He nodded. I gave out roles one by one until only Myungsoo, Sun Hi, Jae Hwa, Young Mi, Hoo Sook, Mi Jin, Hyun Jae and I were left. 
 
"Something is missing", I wondered.
 
"Entertainment?", Mi Jin suggested.
 
"You need MC's", Jae Hwa said.
 
"How about Mi Jin and Jae Hwa do the announcing?", Hyun Jae suggested. Everyone agreed.
 
"Sun Hi and Young Mi you two should help us with the decorations", Ji Hyun said.
 
"Yep thats cool", Sun Hi agreed.
 
"We need to buy a gift too", Young Mi said.
 
"I can do that with Hyun Jae", Hoo Sook said.
 
"Sure I dont mind", Hyun Jae said.
 
"Whats the dress code?", Mi Jin asked eagerly.
 
"Formal dresses. And for the boys, wear something elegant too", Ji Hyun said. Only Myungsoo and I were left.
 
"Hey what about those speeches you do?", Minhwa asked.
 
"Which speeches?", I asked.
 
"Someone should do one of those thank you speeches", he said.
 
"You want me to do it dont you", I asked.
 
"Bingo", he laughed. I thought about it.
 
"Why dont you sing?", Hyun Jae suggested.
 
"Huh?"
 
"Sing! It would be cool. Your voice is good too", she said.
 
"No you should. Yours is better", I said.
 
"As a class president we want you to do it", she smiled.
 
"Myungsoo should do it too then.", Minhwa said.
 
"I'm not into singing! Its not my style", he said, "I can help with the photography. I have a professional camera at home".
 
"Anyways we distributed the roles. Dont tell anyone about this. I will ask the head teacher about the hall.", I said and everyone left one by one until Myungsoo and I were the only ones left. We decided to walk home.
 
"Myungsoo why wont you sing?", I asked.
 
"Its not my style", he said
 
"Please!!", I begged.
 
"No. Dont try it.", he said. I pouted.
 
"Fail aegyo wont work.", he said.
 
"That wasnt aegyo", I said in a childish manner.
 
"Aigoo how cute", he laughed.
 
"Just do it for the class", I said.
 
"No"
 
"For Miss Choi"
 
"No"
 
"For me?"
 
"Definitely no!"
 
"For love?". He glared at me. Guess not.
 
I stopped walking. He stopped too and turned to face me.
 
"I just wanted to do something for Miss Choi! After all shes done for us. She supported us all through High school. You might not know since you joined a few weeks ago but to us she is more like a friend than a teacher.", I bent down and sniffed while looking down. He walked towards me and bent down too and patted me on my head.
 
"I'll do anything. Just perform one song with me for Miss Choi", I said.
 
"Anything?", he asked.
 
"Anything!", I agreed. He got up. He got hold of my hand and pulled me up.
 
"Aigoo stop crying already I will help you", he said.
 
"Really?", I asked.
 
"Yes yes", he said. We got home. It was friday! It was weekend. 
 
"Tomorrow be ready for practice!", he said before going into his house. I nodded before going in. I went to change and emailed the head teacher and asked if we could use the school hall. I also emailed all my class mates with specific things they needed to do. Then I went into deep thoughts, thinking about which song to sing. I couldnt come up with anything so I just decided to write the speech. The day passed with preparations. Our headteacher emailed us back with a message saying the hall can be used in a weeks time. Not a long time. I decided to let everyone else know. After that I got ready to go and practice. I got out of the house and rang the door bell. Myungsoo came and answered.
 
"Come in.", he said and I walked in. We had a conversation while going into his room.
 
"Do you know what song we should sing?", I asked.
 
"I thought you would have an idea. This whole thing was your idea after all", he replied.
 
"It doesnt mean I have to do everything", I moaned. We got upstairs and sat down and tried to write down lists of songs we could sing.
 
"This wont work out. All these songs are about breakups. We cant sing these.", I said.
 
"The only songs that are all happy are girl group songs and solos. Do you expect me to sing that.", he asked.
 
"Let me phone Hyun Jae. When it comes to music she is the right person to ask.", I phoned her and put the phone on speaker.
 
"Hello?"
 
"Hey Hyun Jae its me Hyunsoo", I replied.
 
"Yes I figured", she laughed.
 
"Myungsoo and I are trying to think of a song to sing.", I said.
 
"And let me guess you have problems with that?", she asked.
 
"All songs and duets are sad and the only happy ones are girl group songs!", I said. There was a moment of silence.
 
"How about a couple song?", she suggested. I could hear Myungsoo choke on his water.
 
"Hey is he okay?", she asked. I looked at him who has calmed down.
 
"Yes he is fine now. But why a couple song?", I asked.
 
"Couple songs are like duets anyways. No difference!", she said.
 
"I'll trust you on this then", I said still hesitant.
 
"Got an idea?", Myungsoo asked.
 
"That song. Naeng Myun? By Jessica from SNSD and Park Myungsoo", she said. There was another silence.
 
"You guys havent heard that song before?", she asked.
 
"No", we both said insync.
 
"Its decided then. You will both do that song. Its not sad at all", she laughed. Whats she laughing about.
 
"Okay anyways just continue practicing the song. I will call back later. Bye", she said and hung up. Myungsoo got his laptop and started looking up the song and put it on. We both stood there in shock. Why did we agree to do this song? We looked at eachother.
 
"I'm not doing this", he said.
 
"You promised though. I dont want to do this song either. Especially not with you.", I said.
 
"I dont want to do it with you either", he said.
 
"Lets just watch it again and get the lyrics up", I sighed. He put it on again and we watch closely.
 
"We have to do the dance too", I said. 
 
"Geez what I do for you", he said. I smiled. That means he agreed. We printed two of the lyrics and highlighted both according to our parts and started reading it in our heads. We started singing it too.
 
"Wooah guess even your fail aegyo can work wonders sometimes.", he said.
 
"So... you think I was good", I asked.
 
"Not bad", he replied.
 
"Your turn. Try singing it in a soft tone", I said.
 
"Stupid I know how to sing", he laughed. Although we fought a lot, it still came out good. Is this what you call a miracle. I looked at the calender and emailed my class. The surprise party will be this friday! We finished practice for today and I got up to leave.
 
"Yah shorty", Myungsoo called.
 
"Dont call me sh-"
 
"Dont be late to practice tomorrow!", he cut me off.
 
"Why dont you come over to my house instead so you know how it feels like.", I replied.
 
"Fine fine. My father will be home tomorrow anyways so it would be better", he said. I sat back down and crawled back to my original place.
 
"Can I ask you something?", I asked.
 
"Why did you settle down again. I thought you were going to leave", he asked.
 
"You sound like you want to get rid of me", I said.
 
"Thats because I do", he laughed.
 
"Idiot", I muttered.
 
"Anyways what did you want to ask?", he asked.
 
"Your father, doesnt he like you playing football or anything?", I asked.
 
"Not just football. Its the same with singing, guitar, girls", he replied.
 
".....So he hates me?", I asked.
 
"Probably", he answered.
 
"Are Monsoon and your mum the only sane ones in this house?", I pouted.
 
"Why do you think I get good grades?", he asked.
 
"Pardon?", I asked. He chuckled.
 
"Why do you think I get good grades?", he repeated. I thought about it.
 
"Is it because of your father?", I asked. He nodded.
 
"He raised both me and Monsoon like that. My mother would occasionally let me go football practice or out with friends", he said.
 
"You've got friends?", I asked.
 
"But my father would control me by keeping me indoors all the time. I have to inherit his business he says.", he continued.
 
"Hey dont ignore me!", I shouted.
 
"Monsoon has it good as the second child. Gets everything he wants, can go out all he wants, doesnt get pressured. I was always envious of that fact", he said. I stayed quiet. He bursted out laughing.
 
"You should have seen your face just now. It was priceless", he laughed.
 
"Jerk.", I said before getting up and leaving. I could hear him laugh behind me. But that laugh is just a lie. Trying to turn yourself away from the truth. What am I doing thinking about him. I opened the door to my house and went in. I headed upstairs and took my phone out. I got a text. It was from Sun Hi.
 
'We are coming over tomorrow to talk about the plan. Be ready' 
 
I replied saying 'Sure but I have practice tomorrow'.
 
She replied saying 'Everyone would definitely want to see that. kekekekekeke.'
 
Why am I even doing this? I turned my laptop on and emailed Ji Hyun to ask her about the preparations. Then I phoned Minhwa. I put the phone on speaker. It went through.
 
"Hello?", I asked. Its been such a long time since I've spoken to him over the phone. I wonder if I sound weird over the phone.
 
"President nim. What a surprise. Whats up?", he asked.
 
"I just wanted to ask you about the DJ.", I replied quietly.
 
"The DJ is booked ready for friday.", he said.
 
"Thats good to hear. Well talk to you later then", I said.
 
"Wait! We havent talked over the phone in ages and you want to cut the phone after 3 minutes?", he asked.
 
"What do you want to do then?", I asked.
 
"Simple! I want to talk. Why are you talking so quietly. Arent you feeling well?", he asked. I decided to talk louder.
 
"No no I'm fine. Nothings wrong", I said.
 
"Thats a relief. You still sound like a child over the phone", he giggled.
 
"At least I dont sound like an Ajusshi", I fought back.
 
"I didnt mean it in that way. Its cute", he chuckled. Cute? I didnt know how to reply.
 
"Are you blushing? Thats not the Hyunsoo from 10 years ago. That Hyunsoo would punch a boy if he called her cute", he laughed.
 
"Yah Mister. I spent most of my childhood protecting you. A bit of respect would be nice", I said. He let out a sigh.
 
"I guess we all changed", he said. I guess he is right. I leaned against a wall to think.
 
"Remember when we first met?", he asked.
 
"You mean in kindergarten?" I asked.
 
"Yep. You said you came from Germany. Yet you were fluent in english.", he giggled.
 
"I was taught english at home. My parents probably planned to move long before we did", I said.
 
"In kindergarten I always used to get bullied", he said.
 
"Yes I know. You were strange from a young age", I laughed.
 
"Then one day you helped me", he  said. 
 
"I remember", I thought about it.
 
*Flash Back*
 
A couple of boys approached Minhwa when he was playing in the sandpit with his bucket and shovel. One of them took the shovel off him.
 
"Give me back my shovel", Minhwa started crying.
 
"This shovel is mine. I want it", the boy said and took off with it. I saw this from the monkey bars that day and approached them.
 
"Thats not nice. You are really mean", I shouted, "Give him back his shovel".
 
"Its my shovel now", the boy said.
 
"You would be sad if I did that to you. Give him his shovel back. He is crying", I said.
 
"He is a crybaby! He always crys", the boy laughed making Minhwa cry even more. I walked up to Minhwa. Whenever I think about what I said I feel like laughing.
 
"Yah why do you always cry? If you cry like this they will never give you your shovel back.", I said. I walked up to the boy.
 
"If I give you my candy will you give him back his shovel?" I asked. The boy agreed and gave Minhwa back his shovel and left.
 
"Look now you are happy", I smiled.
 
"Why did you help me?", he asked.
 
"Because we are friends. Teacher taught us that we are friends with everyone in class and that no one should be left out", I said.
 
"Will you always be my friend?", he asked.
 
"Sure why not.", I said.
 
"Can you help me built a fort for me?", he asked and sat in the sand again. I sat down next to him.
 
"I want to help. But that means it will be my fort aswell then", I replied.
 
"You can be the Princess then", he smiled.
 
"Can I really?", I asked.
 
"Yes and I will protect you and be your Knight", he smiled.
 
"You can only be the Knight if you never ever cry again.", I said. He nodded. That day is still in my memories. 
 
*End of Flashback*
 
"You sure have grown since then", I said.
 
"Do you remember the Princess and Knight part?", he asked.
 
"Seemed more like I was the Knight back then.", I chuckled.
 
"I wasnt able to protect you back then, but I promise I will still protect you. After all you are still the Princess of that fort and I'm still the Knight", he laughed.
 
"Knight crybaby?", I laughed.
 
"More like Knight in shining armour.", he said.
 
"Yeah right". We ended up laughing a lot.
 
"Hyunsoo?", he called.
 
"What is it?", I asked.
 
"What do you think happened to those two?", he asked. I thought while looking at the ceiling.
 
"Who knows. Maybe we'll find ourselves together again.", I said.
 
"Maybe", he replied.
 
"Anyways I guess thats all. Did you talk enough?", I laughed.
 
"Yep. Make sure to call again", he said.
 
"You can call too you know.", I replied.
 
"Sure I will call next time", he said.
 
"Take care. Bye", I said before hanging up.