Walls Can Tell Stories

Project Zelo

"What are you saying, Himchan?" Yongguk growled as he slammed the door of his office. The windows rattled violently in protest. Yongguk continued to glare at Himchan.

"We don't have any information" He repeated automatically.

"I'm keeping a boy locked up in a room. An underage boy. I don't know his name. We don't have any information. In our documents, he doesn't exist. Kim Himchan, do you know how illegal that is? I do not plan on becoming a kidnapper or e any time soon." Yongguk shouted at Himchan before realising that the nurses in their station could potentially hear their conversation. "Just try to find something out. Please." He begged his friend.

"I can find out where the hospital had found him. That could leave us some clues."

"Great, I'll call them now. Anything on record will get us out of this predicament."

"Yongguk-hyung. You promised Jieun-unni that you would be home tonight. Just go. I'll figure something out by morning" Himchan smiled at the elder, watching him gather his notes to take home with him.

"Yah, Himchan. I'm only a few weeks older than you, quit the hyung business!" He laughed and left the building, leaving Himchan his computer for investigation purposes.

Yongguk found his girlfriend lost in a novel when he eventually entered his apartment. Jieun's head snapped up when she heard the door click shut and footsteps coming closer to her. Discarding her book she jumped into her boyfriends arms and wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing every inch of his face. "I didn't actually think you were going to come home! I'm so happy"

"I'm home." He stuttered, still taken aback by the girls advances. He lifted her to his face as her legs wrapped around his waist, feeling the cold satin nightdress caress his exposed arm. He kissed her gently on the lips, which she responded by deepening a second one. Swirling her tongue on his lips, she forced it in and playfully bit his lip, smiling into the kiss. Yongguk felt her hands creep up his shirt. "Jieun-ah." He started when she started to bite his neck. Though he could not see her face, he felt her pout. "Not tonight."

"Why?" She let herself down from his hold. "Do you not love me anymore? You never want to touch me!" Tears stung her pretty eyes, smearing her eyeliner as they tipped out. To Yongguk, this was a scene they played out regularly when work began to pile up. Jieun was still a university student so she did not understand his feelings, though she was always a little selfish in the relationship. Yongguk sighed, knowing he would never hear the end of it until he gave her what she wanted.

He was awoken by his phone vibrating, the strong movement creating an ugly noise that was totally unwanted. Streams of light peaked through the half-open blinds and pooled into the bedroom. Slowly, he removed Jieun who was snuggled into his chest and answered the call.

"Good morning, hyung. Sorry it's early but I found the address."

"Himchan, thank you. Keep the situation on the down low and I'll visit the place before I come in today."

"Yes, that'll be fine. I'll email you the address now."

Yongguk got dressed as he received the email. He squinted at the bright LED screen, the feeling of morning still washed over him. The address was unfamiliar to him.

When he arrived, the building was just an average home. The curtains were drawn and the front garden had become unruly, as if someone had not tended to it for a while. The door was unlocked, naturally. Downstairs, the house was an average family home. Crockery was placed in an orderly fashion, though it was now covered in a healthy layer of dust. The carpets were dull but spotless throughout. Up the stairs, Yongguk had found no margin of alarm and nothing seemed out of order. He reached for the door at the end of the corridor. It wouldn't budge. He lined himself up against it and shoved his shoulder into it as it groaned audibly, like an old willow tree in a strong gale. After a few attempts, it gave way.

The room seemed normal. Walking slowly around the open expanse, he felt a crackling sound underneath his foot, causing him to jump. The startled Yongguk looked down at the damage and saw an envelope on the ground. Picking it up, he noticed the top of the envelope had been severed off with no contents inside. He cocked his head, and checked for a name and address on the front. To his dismay, the details had been scribbled out thoroughly, even under a strong light the name could not be legible. Underneath the scribbling, a similar scrawl was in the corner of the envelope. The scrawl belonged to someone with violent handwriting. Yongguk came to the conclusion that it was most likely belonging to a man as there was no sense of femininity in the shape. As he threw it on the ground, he noticed from a certain angle that he could make out some letters. Roman letters.

The letters "Z" and "E" were amongst the scrawl. Looking up to the wall, he noticed a faint grey marking on the translucent wallpaper. His brain clicked. Pushing the wooden dresser away from the wall, which surprised him as it was extremely light, Yongguk began to pick at the wallpaper. After a few minutes of picking, the paper loosened up significantly. He ripped off the majority of the wall and took a step back. He was right. Upon the wall, the big scrawling grey blemish created a word. "Zelo"

He pulled out his phone quickly and hit speed dial. "Himchan, I've found something."