Lies

Project Zelo

Yongguk felt that familiar dull throbbing pain in the back of his head and groaned. Lately he had been haunted by piercing migraines that would hit at the worst of times, especially when work had to be done. Working overtime had become a regular occurance as it became harder to keep up with other patients needs when Zelo arrived at the institute. Yongguk fumbled into his pocket for a pack of pills in his jacket pocket and popped two into his mouth. He saw Himchan look at him with confusion as he washed the medication down with some water. Himchan's eyebrows furrowed.

"Are you alright, Yongguk-hyung?" Himchan's voice was laced with worry towards his hyung.

"I'm fine. Why?" Yongguk looked at him, puzzled.

"You must be ill. You're taking tablets!" Himchan felt rejected not knowing that his best friend could be potentially ill. Yongguk shook it off with a sympathetic smile and got back with his work. Luckily the condition of the majority of his patient's conditions had deteriorated, if anything they had improved. One lady had even been able to discharge from the institute and once again start a new life in the relentless world. Yongguk promised the nurse that he would see out the patient as she had grown so fondly attached to the doctor. She treat him like her own son.

The lady was middle aged, her face accented with laugh lines, however, no wrinkles tainted her now leathery skin. She was caucasian and didn't speak much Korean, causing her to only speak to staff when she was comfortable. It was later found out that she had run away from her husband to Korea. Yongguk didn't know why, but she was a very mysterious woman. "Are you all set?" Yongguk smiled at her. Being the gentleman he was, he'd carried her bags to the entrance. The woman smiled and waved to the taxi driver, signalling that she would be a short while.

"Don't forget what I said. If anything happens, you have my number, don't hesitate to ask!" Yongguk said sternly. He'd grown attached also to his makeshift mother and wanted to see her off well. She kissed him on the cheek swiftly and gave him a post-it note. Before getting into the taxi, she turned to Yongguk and spoke in her heavily accented voice. "Take care of Joonhong, my son" She blew him another kiss.

Yongguk opened the door of his apartment. He placed his hand in his pocket and threw the packet of pills on the kitchen counter, once again finding the note he was given. He opened it up to read the three words on it. Choi Joon Hong. No matter how much he thought about it, he couldn't make sense of the note. Eventually he passed it off as the woman's bad communication skills. Yongguk placed it under a magnet on his fridge, wanting to keep the note as a memory of the strong woman.

His head throbbed again so he threw his work away to one side and got up to shower. As the hot water scalded his skin he felt alive again, his back against the icy cold tiles. Time passed slowly as water carried on flowing down his hair and shoulders, but the pain in the back of his head would not cease. This was one of the drawbacks of working too hard, but the workaholic would not stop. Wrapping a towel around himself, he shut off the water. 

Yongguk didn't even notice he had put back on the clothes he had worn the other day until he felt that velvet box in the pocket brush against his thigh. Unfortunately he couldn't find a lighter in there. After looking around the house, he still couldn't find his lighter. He always kept a spare in his bag. Which was at work. Jieun never liked Yongguk's smoking habit and occasionally hid his cigarettes or lighters. "She must've put it somewhere." He checked every drawer in their shared room apart from her bedside table.

Yongguk opened the drawer of her bedside table. He pushed all the contents around and found the lighter amongst a selection of white plastic sticks. Curiously he picked them up and examined them. Pregnancy tests. Thinking she must've kept them for sentimental value, he placed them carefully back in her drawer. Yongguk accidently knocked his knee against the drawer, causing things inside to shake about. He noticed one of the tests flipped over. He couldn't help but notice the bright blue line on it's little display, standing proudly against it's plastic casing. Flustered, he checked them all. Though they were different brands and different styles, they all said the same thing. Not pregnant.