Awakening

Project Zelo

Yongguk groaned loudly, grasping his head that was spinning at a vicious pace. He looked around the darkened area he had been placed in. More like thrown, judging by the dull throbbing radiating from both spine and buttocks. The room he was in bore a familiar scent to the doctor, somewhere that was not home but it was not a new area. He tried to narrow down any possibility of working out where it his they could have hid him.

When he arrived, the building was just an average home. The curtains were drawn and the front garden had become unruly, as if someone had not tended to it for a while. The door was unlocked, naturally. Downstairs, the house was an average family home. Crockery was placed in an orderly fashion, though it was now covered in a healthy layer of dust. The carpets were dull but spotless throughout. Up the stairs, Yongguk had found no margin of alarm and nothing seemed out of order. He reached for the door at the end of the corridor. It wouldn't budge. He lined himself up against it and shoved his shoulder into it as it groaned audibly, like an old willow tree in a strong gale. After a few attempts, it gave way.

The room seemed normal. Walking slowly around the open expanse, he felt a crackling sound underneath his foot, causing him to jump. The startled Yongguk looked down at the damage and saw an envelope on the ground. Picking it up, he noticed the top of the envelope had been severed off with no contents inside. He cocked his head, and checked for a name and address on the front. To his dismay, the details had been scribbled out thoroughly, even under a strong light the name could not be legible. Underneath the scribbling, a similar scrawl was in the corner of the envelope. The scrawl belonged to someone with violent handwriting. Yongguk came to the conclusion that it was most likely belonging to a man as there was no sense of femininity in the shape. As he threw it on the ground, he noticed from a certain angle that he could make out some letters. Roman letters.

The letters "Z" and "E" were amongst the scrawl. Looking up to the wall, he noticed a faint grey marking on the translucent wallpaper. His brain clicked. Pushing the wooden dresser away from the wall, which surprised him as it was extremely light, Yongguk began to pick at the wallpaper. After a few minutes of picking, the paper loosened up significantly. He ripped off the majority of the wall and took a step back. He was right. Upon the wall, the big scrawling grey blemish created a word. "Zelo"

"Of course!" Yongguk gasped to himself. Scrambling to his feet which took a longer time than it would usually for a man of his age and capability, he tried to remember the layout of said room that he had only visited a select number of times. He felt for the mahogany bedside table in this ghastly room, an uncomfortable room that he was now dismayed to call his own. A place that was recently sold, a place that was next to a murder site that was never investigated thoroughly due to assumptions of suicide, a place that he would never be found. Of course Youngjae and Himchan would choose to hide him here, whilst they fixed the situation. Which means that naturally the police would be involved and they respected Yongguk enough to keep him out of it? He hoped so.

Yongguk found the light switch and the yellowing dim light source. The room was exactly as he left, not a book out of place but the wallpaper was still a destroyed mess. Turning to the door, Yongguk realised that it was indeed locked. They didn't trust him. He leaned onto the locked door and laid an ear against the solid surface to see if anyone was around.

"I think he might have woken up. What should I do now?"

The mysterious voice seemed to belong to Himchan. Himchan, his best friend, didn't trust him.

"I don't want to go in there, Jongup! He's not my friend anymore. He's not Yongguk."

Jongup was in on it.

Yongguk walked over to the strange wall he had pondered over quite a while back.

"Bang Yong Guk! I told you we aren't going in!" Yongguk ignored him and opened the once again unlocked door. The old door screamed as it opened and Yongguk happily intruded. Ignoring every detail in the house apart from his target, he marched up the stairs, followed by the timid Himchan. The severed wallpaper was still hanging from the wall, displaying the scrawl.

Himchan swallowed the lump in his throat, scared as he felt such a strong negative vibe coming from the room. He locked eyes with a picture hanging from one of the walls and swore he felt it stare at him back.

"Yongguk, you were right." Himchan gasped, in awe at Yongguk's last discovery. Yongguk ripped away the last of the wallpaper as it could potentially ruin the likelihood of his latest discovery. He smirked at Himchan.

"Watch this."

Yongguk knocked at the wall and it made a typical sound in response. Himchan was hit by a wave of tiredness as aggrovation began to set in.

"Your point, Yongguk?" He asked venomously. Yongguk moved further along the wall and tapped another part. It made a hollow sound. His discovery excited him as he tapped various points in the wall and laughed as each tapping made a slightly different sound.

"There's something behind here, Himchan."

Yongguk pressed his large hands onto the wall, applying a small amount of pressure onto the area. This time, it moved a little, bending outwards in the place where his hands were. The fake wall could only be made of something of similar lines as fibreboard, a thin wood material that would be made as notice boards or materials to border up windows and doors with. It almost felt as thin as cardboard packaging, with the secrets of the past of this house inside.

"This shouldn't take long." Yongguk muttered to himself once again. Yongguk had noticed earlier that the make up of this house seemed to have been made on the cheap as the floors in most rooms were slightly slanted. Yongguk grinned, but it was not the grin any of his friends had come to know and love. To the right of the room, there was a small wheeled suitcase. Yongguk's eyes flashed with inclination, much like they used to long ago from enthusiasm in work. Quickly, he packed a wad of paper and books into this case and made sure to zip it up, to minimise noise of course. Yongguk lined up the bag next to the small, brick-like bed and let go. He braced himself for a large bang. A bang that did not come. As the case rolled towards the wall on the floors natural slant, it cut through the false wall like paper, barely emitting a sound.

Through the reasonable hole that was created, Yongguk noticed that the light switch had also been connected to a light in this mysterious room as he picked at the wallpaper to enlarge the crevice. When the hole grew to a manageable size, he managed to find a way through. Oh, how he had waited such a long time for this. No one could stop him from solving this case now, even if it killed him.