Self loathing

Project Zelo

The boy stared wide eyed at Yongguk and Himchan. Yongguk was staring at him, his eyes squinting slightly as he was deep in thought. It wasn't normal for Yongguk to be lost at where to start with a patient, but dealing with children was not really his forte.

"Where do we go from here?" Himchan asked. Himchan had submitted to being Yongguk's right hand man in this case as it seemed that one man was not enough.

Yongguk took a step towards the boy who remained on his metal framed bed with his knees tucked up to his chest. The boy's eyes widened like flowers yearning towards sunlight and his irises glistened a little too much. The narrow strips of light bounced off the teenagers milky skin, emphasising each raised bump and bruise. Noticing this, Yongguk took a hold of the boy's left arm, leaving him panting heavily and a cold sweat developing on his brow. Each marking was precise. Every cut was lined up with such precision it was impossible that it could have happened accidently. Not one cut was alone, but continued as a row of gashes in equal lengths, spaced out in uniform intervals.

Back at the office, Yongguk was doodling on his notepad. "Self harming?" Himchan burst out in disgust.

"Yes, it's not uncommon for kids of his age."

"What do you mean of his age? We don't know how old he is!" Himchan spat.

"Well, what do you think then?" Yongguk challenged, annoyed at Himchan's resistance.

"I don't know hyung. I don't have a phD do I?"

Before he had realised, he had written down 'Zelo' on his notepad. He looked down, sighed and then scribbled it out. "I want to go back to that place." He stated. Himchan raised an eyebrow but didn't protest. He brushed his chestnut shaded hair back with his fingers. His eyes were shrouded by the fringe of long black lashes. 

Yongguk continued. "There's something about the place. It looks normal. Too normal. It has such a strong sense of normality that you can tell it's homey feel is forged. It's like the Mona Lisa."

"Yah. You found a scribbling on an envelope. How is that similar to a famous painting?"

"It wasn't just that. On the walls. Underneath the wallpaper."

"What are you saying?"

Yongguk ignored him and began to think out loud. "I think it was due to the time of day. Pure luck. If I didn't visit on that exact time in the morning when the sun had differed by a single degree, I wouldn't have noticed it. Imagine what would happen if I was there at a different time. Don't judge a book by it's cover Himchan. If there's one thing I've learned working in mental health, it's that."

Himchan nodded. "Okay, let's say we return. And someone else is there. We don't know if the property is vacant or not, hyung. We don't have a warrant. We can't do anything until we have some background information. Not to mention you theoretically vandalised somebodies house! The word 'Zelo' isn't gonna help us while we've still technically got some kid hostage!"

"Well we're going to have to be sneaky. It's the only lead we've got!" Yongguk started to feel pleased with himself. He was like a kitten at times like these. If even a small string dangled itself in front of him, he would pounce and lead it to the end, even if he knew that it would lead to a unbreakable brick wall. Until they could find the perfect time to visit the building, he needed some new ideas.

"Do you think Zelo is like some kind of nickname?" Himchan's eyes twinkled with inspiration. It wasn't often he came up with such an idea.

"We could try it." Yongguk quickly turned away to the exit and Himchan followed like a lost puppy.

Before entering the room, Yongguk turned to Himchan.

"In which sense do you think would be easier to address him with?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I could simply call him Zelo. Or Zelo-ah, like a parent or hyung."

"I thought you were looking for a reaction, Yongguk."

"Yes I am. But doctor's have to pay utmost attention to patient hospitality."

"You've got him illegally locked up in a small bedroom similar to a prison cell. WHAT DOES IT MATTER?"

Yongguk sighed. He knew Himchan was right but he wasn't going to give up so early. He sauntered into the room confidently, smiling at the boy who had not changed position since they had left earlier. Yongguk crouched down at the boy's level, his eyes smiling. It was the first trick a doctor could learn, feigning sincerity in a glance. He was very careful not to touch him as from experience he knew that if this turned ugly, something dangerous could happen. The boy was small and scrawny, but powerful things could erupt from small packages.

"Zelo-ah," Yongguk said as warmingly and lovingly as he could fake on whim. It all happened fast then. The boy pounced on Yongguk, his small hands shooting straight up to his neck. His thumb was expertly the major vein in the doctor's neck, knowing far too well what would happen if he increased the pressure in his hands.