Secret Love

Project Zelo

"Do you not think it's time to go back into the dating world?"

Himchan looked attentively towards Yongguk who looked at him suspiciously. The two had not been alone since that tense meeting at Yongguk's house a week or so ago. Yongguk's newfound paranoia caused his brain to analyse the question for a hidden meaning with no avail.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't like seeing you act like you're married to your job. You need to get yourself back out there."

Yongguk opened his mouth, but then closed it again.

"So you can get with Jieun." Yongguk finally spoke, his blunt tone alarming Himchan.

"No, that's not-"

"It is though." Yongguk interrupted the stuttering friend of his. "I know you love her."

Himchan slammed his hands down on Yongguk's desk.

"I do ing love her. It wasn't meant to be this way. You said you loved her, but you left. You went away to university for two years without seeing her. Who is she supposed to talk to, isolated from her boyfriend for two whole years? I accompanied her. That was it. She never cheated. When we were together, just talking, do you know what she asked about? You. It was always you. What you were like as a child. What kind of student you were at school. What kind of family life you had. I was there, through everything. I saw her smile and I saw her suffer. You saw nothing, turning a blind eye on the most beautiful and obvious form of love you could grasp. Did you even know she has finance problems? Sure, you could have helped her when you two were together, but this isn't the 50's. She may be a woman but she's a hell of an independant one. She worked, blood sweat and tears, for two whole two years. You didn't even visit. Everything was for you, for your self centred self. And what did you do? You beat her. Yeah, I heard about it."

"You're still in contact with her?"

"I'm a loyal friend. I haven't spoken to her since the night Daehyun's mother died. I asked her to call me, but she never did. It's always you, Yongguk. It always has been."

"She's still a liar." Yongguk muttered, taking an inhilation of breath before being cut off again.

"She's a good person. She obviously had her reasons. She wouldn't do this."

Yongguk and Himchan stared at each other for a minute longer, fists clenched. Over the course of the small argument, Yongguk had become a conceited bastard, and Himchan, a traitor.

"Excuse me, Dr. Bang?" A nurse popped her head out of the door. Yongguk nodded, urging her to continue. "There's a patient that has just been admitted, we need you to see to them."

"Get someone else to do it, I'm busy."

"I'm sorry Sir. You really should come."

Yongguk gave Himchan a look to say 'We'll take later' in which Himchan raised an eyebrow but still nodded to his hyung. Himchan had noticed recently that Youngjae and Jongup had spent a lot of time off site doing other works and engaging in other things. That moment, he realised that Yongguk was indeed married to his job.

"Why is he here?" Yongguk jumped straight into his professional persona.

"It seemed that he had attempted suicide. Recently discharged. Once he regained consciousness and became stable, the hospital transferred him over."

Today was like any other day for Yongguk. He'd dealt with so many similar cases to this one on a daily basis and so interrogating and treating became like learning lines for a school play. Dreary and bordering on pointless. The number of attempted suicides that tried again, sometimes succeeding, was astonishing. The portly woman who rushed ahead had passed Yongguk the documents of the patient he was now to deal with. He squinted, looking at the name. The nurse pushed him into the room, urging him to get there quicker. Yongguk looked up in shock from the paper and into te patients eyes.

"Choi Junhong."