No Choice

Project Zelo

Yongguk followed instructions easier than expected for a man of his calibar. He felt the plastic casing of said needles push against his leg through his doctor's coat. 

"Daehyun." He carefully addressed the man in front of him, keeping his voice quiet and calm. He smiled and nodded professionally, his mind running through every tactic he had learned over the years of studying and working in mental health. "Don't judge a book by it's cover." The thought stuck in his head, skipping and replaying like a scratched vinyl disk that struggled to be heard.

Daehyun's eyes were crazed, blood shot and sunken. The purple shades created a deathly hue in contrast to the rest of his facial features. Daehyun was panting. He had evidently been running to the hospital, or limping, an action that would suit his physique better. His hair was dripping, the light brown tangle looking nearly green in the flickering flourescent lighting. Yongguk grinned, remembering that today there was supposed to be a typhoon hitting the city. Last time, it messed up the electricity cables in the hospital, causing lights that were not attached to the generator to flicker - making escape simple.

"I'm sorry." Daehyun choked.

Yongguk raised his eyebrow.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Daehyun kept repeating, his hands clawing manically at his hair. He was going through a typical sequence of a panic attack and Yongguk being the certified doctor he was, lowered Daehyun down to the floor, lightly pushing his head between his legs that were tucked up under his chin.

"Breathe." Yongguk commanded in a hushed voice. He grabbed Daehyun's wrist which was shaking, his hands and face turning a sickly white.

"I had to do it. It's haunted me for too long. I can't sleep. I can't eat. I can't think. He's everywhere. It's the only regret I have and that's coming from me. I've managed to lose all of my family, but he is on my mind more than my whole family tree combined."

"What did you do?"

Daehyun pushed Yongguk away, trying to make it to his feet with great difficulty. He backed up against the wall, feeling the old plaster crumble by the touch, creating a distance between him and the doctor.

"I'm calling the police." He stated, losing all of his panicked tone and replacing it with newfound authority. "I'm calling the police in concern to Junhong."

Yongguk nodded slowly, letting the information sink in. "Zelo..I'm sorry." Daehyun's panicked self was back, choking on the three words. Yongguk's brow furrowed, closing in the gap between them. It all happened fast then. The doctor pounced on the cripple, his hands shooting straight up to his neck. His thumb was the major vein in the neck, though he trembled, knowing far too well what would happen if he increased the pressure in his hands.

Yongguk gulped, a cold sweat forming on his face. He could not move to wipe away the perspiration.

"Yongguk!" Himchan shouted, his voice laboured in shock. He quickly ran out of the room. At the moment of abandonment, Yongguk quickly moved his hands from his sides, wrapping them around the tops of the small boy's skinny arms. As the boy flexed, not wanting to let go of his neck, Yongguk could feel every tendon moving in his malnourished limbs. He thought he heard a hiss escape the boy's trembling lips but it was sharply cut off by Himchan entering the room again with a nurse, followed by two large security guards.

This had happened before.

Daehyun looked up at the doctor who had him pinned to the cold concrete flooring. His face was expressionless, though the corners of his mouth twitched. The mime-like man still did not make a sound as he tightened his grip around his neck. The only sound in the room was hands tightening, sounding shockingly similar to a rope groaning under unwanted weight. It was truely a grotesque sound. The room felt like they had stepped into a vintage silent film. Blotches of black tainted Daehyun's vision. He coughed, trying to grasp any oxygen into his lungs.

The cold sweat dripped from Yongguk's face to Daehyun's. The two needles rolled out of his pocket, hitting the floor with an almighty clang, breaking the terrifying silence. Daehyun's eyes looked over to where the noise came from. When his brain registered the two items, he felt his heart drop. Skillfully, he wrapped his lame leg around Yongguk's, tripping him up and getting him off. Daehyun crawled away, noticing that only one needle had been filled with a liquid. The other was not empty, but filled with a gas. Most likely air.

Yongguk also noticed this. Hesitantly, he noticed Daehyun's phone in the pocket of his ripped jeans. He was not kidding. He would phone the authorities. They would come. Zelo would be arrested.

Yongguk growled and picked up one of the needles, without looking to identify the content. He stabbed the thin metal into Daehyun's injured leg, ripping open the flesh as it made a sound similar to the crinkling of wafer thin paper. Daehyun emitted a blood-curdling scream, his body slowly becoming limp as he slid down to the floor for a final time. Yongguk sat for a minute, himself hyperventilating at a dangerous rate. His eyes scanned the corridor for the other needle to find that in the fight between him and Daehyun, it had been emptied of his contents.