Lucid Dreaming

Project Zelo

"Yongguk! You had better not leave me for noona!" Himchan laughed at Yongguk, scruffing up his hair like he was a child. Yongguk had just confided in Himchan, declaring his love for classmate Song Jieun.

"She's in the grade above us! I'd never date her, I like just watching her." Yongguk smiled at his best friend foolishly, awkwardly fixing his school regulation tie.

"Hmm~ Whatever. Hyung, fancy coming over to my house?" Himchan used his aegyo far too often.

Yongguk looked at the ground. "Sorry, I can't. My grandparents are coming over tonight."

"Ah, too bad."

The two walked in near silence until they reached Yongguk's house, where the two bid their farewells. Once Himchan was out of sight, instead of entering his house Yongguk headed to another destination. Soon enough, he reached his local hospital. Walking up to that familiar ward, he was greeted by a doctor.

"Yongguk-ah! We've checked and checked and there's nothing wrong with her. Your mother can go home today." The doctor handed him his mother's luggage. Yongguk was in charge of his mother as his dad was away on a business trip. She'd began to play up, screaming in the middle of the night and hyperventilating, causing her to faint. Yongguk was relieved to be able to take her home knowing nothing was wrong.

Mother and son lay sprawled out on the plush couch. Yongguk's mother was playing with her son's unruly brown hair, messing it up and braiding it like a child. "Umma, don't scare me like that again. I don't think my heart will be able to take it." She giggled, her voice like wind chimes. Her twinkling voice continued as she started singing children's songs, songs that used to calm Yongguk as a child. "Your dad will take care of you, he comes back tonight." She sighed before staring at the back door. "They're here! Yongguk, make them go away!" She screamed, her head in her hands. Yongguk took his mother into his arms like many times before as she squealed like a stuck pig.

"Hello?" Yongguk answered the phone whilst his mother calmed down.

"This is Dr. Park. I took care of your mother until today."

"Ah yes. Is there a problem?"

"Can you bring her in tomorrow? We need to run a few tests."

"I thought she was fine, you said there was no problems!"

"After reviewing her case, we believe she might have psychotic depression. Her symptoms seem to be mild, but it is very important that she comes back tomorrow!"

The doctor hung up on Yongguk, who threw his phone to the ground. As much as he loved his mother, he hated the fact that he was lying to his best friend. "Depression? It can't be that bad, people get depressed all the time" Yongguk said to himself before falling asleep.

Yongguk jumped out of bed sharply, awoken by a bloodcurdling scream coming from downstairs. He overheard his dad yelling for an ambulance. Running into the kitchen, Yongguk found his mother. On the floor. Lying in her own blood. Without further thought, Yongguk ripped his tank top into strips and wrapped them around his mom's wrists to stop the blood from pulsing out. The wound didn't have time to scab over before another wave of liquid would ooze like lava. The woman was out cold..

Dr. Park was the one to announce the inevitable news. Yongguk's father took the news well, expecting it and embracing it. It was bound to happen. She was silently suffering.

Yongguk snapped. "YOU SAID SHE WAS FINE."

"Mental health isn't something you can be sure of. There's no tests to prove of disprove anything, you have to read the signs. It's easy to make a mistake."

"You weren't looking hard enough. I saw it. Everyday. I dealt with it, no matter how hard it was. I told you. I TOLD YOU SHE WASN'T HEALTHY."

"I'm really sorry about your mom Yongguk, but, I can't help that she was suffering and that she commited suicide. Psychotic depression is very hard to diagnose. Sometimes, like this time, it can be discovered too late. Symptoms can peak within hours and can kill. The delusions, the voices, though not schizophrenic, can appear from no where. I can't see into her head."

"I'll show you. I'll make sure this never happens to anyone ever again. I'll kick you off your high horse and be the best doctor in mental health you'll have ever seen."

Yongguk woke from his nightmare in a cold sweat. He flexed his bad hand, the cuts from the glass opening again. "" he groaned at the pain. Physically from the cut and emotionally, from the memory.