Dad

Project Zelo

Himchan circled the entrance of the airport like a mad man which is quite ironic since he has spent a few years around them, but joking aside, he wasn't going to let the opportunity slip through his fingertips this time. Schools of people that represented mere mackerals swam through the humid terminal and out of the glass sliding doors into the exposed city of Seoul, the same streets darkened in hue and slid into darkness. It wasn't long until the reasonably fit man was panting from both over exhaustion and desperation and began to claw at his throat to loosen the slim casual tie that constricted, preventing the flow of air from and to his lungs. Suddenly he jumped, feeling a cold, large hand lay on his shoulder and shrugged away from the skeletal feeling. He spun around at a quickened pace, to meet the pair of cold eyes he had expected to match with that grip. The face belonged to a man who looked so foreign, yet so familar. His face had aged respectively, but his glare had become very cold and distant, even his pores had become withdrawn.The eyes looked like Yongguk's.

"Kim Himchan?"

Himchan bowed politely at the much older man, a man he once respected and cherished as his own father.

"What are you doing here?"

"I need to talk to you for a minute, please." Himchan led the man to a café not far from the airport who followed him with a rather bemused look. He didn't expect to have anyone waiting for him, especially not his son's best childhood friend. Once seated, his brow furrowed, feeling as if he was being mocked.

"It's about Yongguk."

"I suspected that. Are you hear to rub in my face how successful my son has become without the help and guidance of his father?"

Himchan was taken aback by the question and it took him a moment or so to retaliate, causing the impatient man to tap his foot in frustration. "No, I'm not. Quite the opposite actually, hyung doesn't even know that we are speaking."

"Really? I'm surprised. All I've seen in China is all about his success and all of th-"

"He's ill."

"He's what?" Mr. Bang's eyes widened. "How ill?"

Himchan stayed silent for a moment, not knowing how to bring it up in conversation. The two stayed silent for a moment longer, Himchan inwardly wishing he could hide in his hole he had began to dig himself into. The father leaned back in his chair, letting out a large sigh.

"I knew it."

"You knew?" Himchan's anger bubbled up again and he let go of any honorific he had towards the man. "Then why the did you leave?"

He snapped back. "Do you think I had a choice, I had to leave!"

"You could've prevented to much. You could've helped. You could've... Do you know how much he blames you for everything that happened?"

"He doesn't blame me for leaving. He blames himself. After she...after his mom died, things became really hard for both Yongguk and I. I'd quit work for a while to look after him, he was still technically a kid you know, he didn't know anything about what it was like for me, what it's like to be a father." Himchan sunk into his chair at the last comment, but Mr. Bang continued his tangent. "He didn't want me around. He did all of his school work himself, without asking any help, he got a part time job so he didn't have to ask for any money from me and he saved it all up so he could get into university, not that he needed it. The kid got a scholarship and then he got that fancy job and the money came in abundance. Somewhere along the line I left, he didn't want me there and he was becoming successful without me, so why should I stay? I moved to China and worked my off, got remarried just so I could forget her, but nothing worked. I even have another son and though I love him, he has nothing on Yongguk."

Himchan's voice shrunk down to a mere whisper. "Why didn't you visit?"

"He didn't want me and he is married to his job. A job he doesn't even want, he just does it because he feels guilt because of his mother. I knew it would drive him mad." Himchan hissed at him. "He has all this money and fame in the medical world, but no one to share it with. He knows nothing of having to work hard, everything has come easy to him. I suppose he has that Jieun girl."

"That Jieun girl is pregnant." Himchan spat at Yongguk's dad. "Congratulations, Grandfather Bang." He added with a sarcastic acid flooding through his words.

"Yongguk's becoming a dad? But..he can't. Not if he's ill."

"Precisely."

"How ill is he, he can't be as bad as she was?"

"You'd be surprised. He's not well in the slightest and you know it. Stop trying to spread the guilt, you know deep down that you have to speak to him, he's your son. I don't care if you have a new wife and a new son back in China. Yongguk. Still. Exists."

And with that, Himchan stormed off to a location that not even he knows himself.

Yongguk's father groaned, rubbing the familiar throbbing pain in his temples between his forefinger and thumb and headed to a short cut he knew to Yongguk's apartment. Even though they didn't talk, he still took the liberty to at least know where his son was living. To get there, he had to travel through a deserted part of Seoul, the notorious place that was home to several black markets and illegal doings. Through one of the cold, dark alleyways, he saw a shadow come towards him. He'd had enough today to even care what was going on. The figure stopped but was close enough for him to see the face. The face that looked neither dead or alive. Lost. The voice grumbled, nearly inaudible, but he would never have to think twice about the owner. He'd heard the word a million and one times, but this time, it sounded haunting in his ears.

"Dad?"