Intelligence

Project Zelo

On the way to work, Yongguk decided to stop for some coffee in a local café. Since the weather was nice that day, he decided it would be nice to stroll down a high street and catch himself some vitamin D. It was early morning and the path ahead was still hazy, dew dripping off leaves on the ornamental bushes and trees. The moisture caused the air to feel chilly so Yongguk was wrapped up in a scarf that Jieun had given him for Christmas one year. Nearly hugging his coffee for warmth, a certain store caught his attention. As the shop assistant opened up the shutters, he peered into the window of the jewellery store. "If I'm being tied down with that, I might as well have both hands shackled" He mumbled to himself before stepping into the glamorously overpriced shop.

"Why a Rubix cube? Hyung, I think you've finally cracked." Himchan eyed the multicoloured plastic cube in Yongguk's hand. Yongguk laughed at his skeptical friend.

"Himchan-ah, you disappoint me. I thought even you could work this out!"

"What do you mean, Dr. Bang?"

"I'm getting this vibe from Zelo. The look in his eyes. It's as if they speak to me."

"I think you're delusional."

"Touché! Think of it as an IQ test, but better. We can potentially see his train of thought, or there abouts. It's just trying to see things from his perspective." And with that, Himchan went off grumbling to give the toy to Zelo.

When Himchan returned, they both looked attentively at their camera. They watched Zelo pick up the Rubix cube and view all of it's faces. "It'll probably take a while, so can you sort out this paperwork?" Yongguk asked, handing Himchan a wad of paper. Yongguk reached in his pocket for a lighter, but instead caressed his fingers against the velvet box. Less than two minutes later, the rhythmic clicking of the cube's sides through the disorted speakers stopped. Looking up, Yongguk saw that Zelo had the completed puzzle in his palm. "You're kidding me."

"He did it?! In under two minutes?" Himchan was astounded.

"I told you, he's a smart kid."

"Well then, Mr. Smart Guy. What can you deduct from this?"

"Simple. From our spaghetti episode we can see that he has a childlike brain that has never matured. That could be seen a lack of education. If he hasn't been schooled, we can suspect something has happened with his family. I thought that he could have been slow at school, maybe with a learning difficulty. So I tried this. Subconsciously, he has the ability to work out a difficult situation in a matter of minutes. He could have learned this from abuse. If you've pissed off your dad, he hits you. If you start to develop ways of not pissing him off and he still hits you, you'll create scenarios and strategies that will help you find a way out of that situation. He's naturally a very intelligent kid."

Himchan learned to just nod when needed when Yongguk was off on one of his babbling episodes, but this time he interrupted.

"What are we going to do about the house?"

"No idea, it's a magnificent place though."

Himchan quickly grabbed his iPad from the desk. "Hold on a second!" He typed in the address of the building in the search engine and found a real estate website. "Bingo!" He yelled with glee, turning the tablet towards Yongguk. The house was vacant and up for sale, at a staggeringly cheap price.

"Kim Himchan, my brilliance seems to be rubbing off on you!" Yongguk crossed his legs, smiling idiotically at his friend. Himchan sighed.

"It's still a lot of money, regardless. Plus, you know you now have a family to look after."

"My job comes first."

"Yongguk, your girlfriend of five years is pregnant."

"My job comes first."

Himchan raised an eyebrow knowing he wasn't going to win this fight. "Right, right. Look, I'll go and see the real estate agent today. I'll buy it in my name since you are quite famous in the professional world. Just transfer the money to my account, yeah?"