Restrictions

Project Zelo

"I'm telling you, we can't do anything without a warrant!" Himchan nearly shouted at the persistant Yongguk who continued to jot things down, his scrawl illegible to any other eyes. Yongguk smiled at his friend's complaint. Though Yongguk was smart, the relationship had built up to be two sides of one being, conscience and will. Pulling up a chair, Himchan's curious eyes met his hyungs. "Tell me one thing." He whispered, as if the walls had ears. Yongguk's eyebrow raised slightly in question. "That whole spaghetti thing, what does it actually mean?"

Yongguk smiled sympathetically towards Himchan. "You noticed, it was the beginning of many fairy tales we know today. The conclusion I can draw from that was Zelo was trying to tell a story. But, he didn't know we were watching, therefore, we know he wasn't trying to tell us anything in particular. I think that through using a different alias, Zelo was trying to tell himself a story. Maybe even rewriting his past if something painful had remembered. Even making up some alternate dimension where everything is normal, in his head."

Himchan blinked rapidly like a deer caught in headlights as the information sunk in. He nodded slowly as he tried to take mental notes. He jolted upwards as there was a quick knock at the door.

"Sir." The nurse who stood halfway in the office, addressing Yongguk formally. "The patient in 23 has spiked a fever, we've given medicine but I was told to inform you." She bowed politely and went back to work.

"This is excellent!" Yongguk's eyes twinkled.

"What are you talking about? The kid is ill!" Himchan was taken aback by Yongguk's glee, slightly disgusted at his behaviour.

"An ill patient, one sicker than what they were admitted to the hospital for, can show many different things that you would not see in his/her usual state. Zelo will probably be more vulnerable, and so I need to see how he has changed since his fever started." Yongguk dragged Himchan away from the desk and out the glass door.

Zelo lay surprisingly on the bed, panting as cold sweat slid down his forehead. He didn't even hear the door open, or the two men greeting him with a bow as they intruded. Yongguk instinctively walked over to the bed and sat right on the edge as he felt great empathy towards the helpless boy. It had become silent, apart from Zelo's shivering and breathing. Yongguk hestitated for a moment, then lay a warm hand on Zelo's curly hair. He began it, trying to sooth the boy who had now resembled a startled puppy.

Himchan assisted by returning with a cold damp rag and wiped away Zelo's sweat. Both men were shocked at the lack of Zelo's resistance. He left once again, to give back the rag and bowl of iced water to the housekeeper. Under Yongguk's touch, the boy began to shake once more.

Zelo had made his first sounds. Tears streamed down his face as he ripped a choking sob through his throat, shocking the elder with his childlike cry. Zelo had now reminded Yongguk of a hedgehog. The exterior was tough and almost impenetrable, but once flipped on it's back it was terribly vulnerable. Subconsciously, Yongguk's hand moved down to his arm, astounding him when he felt every imperfection, lump and bump due to scarring under his fingertips. He left Zelo, the sobbing mess, to get some rest.

Yongguk had decided to go home early as there was not much more you could decode from an unfit patient. He was greeted at the door by the smell of vomit. Listening for the retching sound, he manovuered himself to the bathroom, finding Jieun with her head in the porcelain bowl. "Are you okay?" He asked, patting her back and holding back her hair like a gentleman.

"Go away." She said sharply, staring daggers at her boyfriend. Suspecting mood swings, Yongguk, without question, left her to finish her business.

For some reason, he could almost swear he smelled alcohol.