Monitoring

Project Zelo

Himchan flopped into the plush armchair in Yongguk's office, a audible "oof" as he hit the cushion.

"Set up a baby monitor in Zelo's room." Yongguk demanded.

"Are we calling him Zelo now?"

"We have to call him something. I think calling him 'boy' is a bit belittling, don't you agree?"

"And setting up a baby monitor in a teenage boy's room isn't"

"We don't know how old he is." Yongguk said, in a voice that clearly mocked Himchan. Himchan growled at the humiliation caused by his friend.

"He doesn't move. Why do you want to watch him?"

Yongguk ignored him. "He'll still be out cold. Make sure he doesn't see it" And with that, Himchan his heel and exited Yongguk's office. The elder kept himself occupied by noting down today's discoveries regarding Zelo. He thought of something brilliant and shone his gummy smile to himself.

Himchan returned swiftly, holding a small monitor with him. After tuning it up, they could see a black and white image of Zelo, who was still asleep on his bed in a somewhat uncomfortable position. After a short discussion of their findings, they heard a distorted sound of groaning springs. They looked up to see that Zelo had awoken. He redeemed his previous position, but this time placed his head in his hands.

"Dr. Bang, I'm doing my dinner rounds. Would you and Mr. Kim care for a cup of coffee?" The dinner lady smiled warmly at Yongguk. After working here a while, she had begun to treat Yongguk like a son, and they bonded quite quickly due to Yongguk being here more often than at home. 

"That would be lovely thank you. Mrs. Lee? Will you be making dinner for the patient in room 23 tonight?"

"Yes dear. I was just on my way now." The ahjumma smiled warmly, passing warm mugs of coffee to the two men.

"Can you do me a favour, it might sound strange."

"Yongguk-ah, we all work with strange in this institute" Her smile was surprisingly warm. 

"Would you serve alphabetti spaghetti with his meal tonight?"

The dinner lady simply nodded and went to serve the meal. Himchan turned to Yongguk and flashed an expression that seemed to say 'what the Hell?' but Yongguk simply shushed him and pointed to the screen. Yongguk hooked up the monitor to his computer so that he could take screenshots and zoom in certain areas. As the boys looks attentively at the screen, they saw the lady toddle into the room, flashing a worried look to Zelo. She had heard what had happened earlier so she kept her distance. She placed the plastic plate on the table then quickly left.

"What are you up to, Yongguk?" Himchan questioned. Yongguk simply pointed at the screen once more.

Zelo moved from the bed in jerked movements. It looked like he was in pain by his posture. He sat down at the table where the food was. The camera zoomed in on the food.
"Don't you want to see his face?"

Yongguk shook his head and looked again. "Watch, Himchannie" He said playfully.

Zelo had picked up the plastic fork and pushed all the food to the rims of the plate, apart from the spaghetti. After a few minutes, he had started to push spaghetti around the plate.

"I don't understand" Himchan said, his voice agitated. Yongguk zoomed in further. Zelo was trying to put together words with his food. Though the picture was blurry, Yongguk made out the words he was trying to make amongst the bloody mess. Once upon a time, there was a boy called Jun-. Before reading it all, Zelo pushed the mashed potato back onto the plate and mixed it until it made a disgusting red paste.

"Who's Jun?" Yongguk asked himself in a hushed voice. Himchan was flabbergasted.

"How did you know he was going to do that?!" He asked excitedly.

"Himchan, you said it yourself. He's still a kid. Once upon a time, huh? He has a childlike side to him, probably due to a lack of education. He probably educated himself through books. Something happened as a child if he has only had access to fairytales up to this age. Plus, kids like to play with their food" Yongguk skipped over details and told Himchan what he wanted to hear.

Himchan gasped. "Yongguk, you really are a genius."