Crashing Down

Project Zelo

Yongguk stood in awe at what he saw before him. Again everything in his life had become a lie, something he tried preciously to stop from happening. He clenched his knuckles as he heard the front door open. Shakily, he walked to meet the figure in the hall. Jieun.

"Yonggukkie! You're home early? I'm so happy!" Jieun's smile beamed, lighting every nook and cranny in the house. Yongguk's jaw tightened. He crossed his arms.

"Cut the crap, Song Jieun."

"I don't know what you're talking about, yeobo." Her eyes shone pure innocence, clearly not understanding Yongguk's intent. She attempted to squeeze past the man who was blocking the corridor towards the kitchen to put away her grocery shopping. She was stopped as Yongguk slammed her against the wall. Jieun yelped out in pain.

"Bang Yong Guk! You'll hurt the-"

"I'll hurt nothing." Yongguk growled, placing both hands on the wall with Jieun in between them. Looking at the muscular arms in the way of her escape, she began to panic. She placed her hands on each of Yongguk's biceps gently, but slowly dug her manicured nails into the hard muscle.

"I can explain." Jieun stuttered, staring into her boyfriend's half crazed eyes. If looks could kill, she'd be six feet under. She removed one of her hands and caressed the dark circles under his eyes with the pad of her soft white thumb. Instead of calming him, she elicited a sarcastic laugh from him.

"Explain what Jieunnie~ I didn't even mention your crime."

"I'm not a criminal."

"You're disgusting." Yongguk spat in her face. Jieun started to shake in anger. Their hushed discussion quickly became shouting.

"It was the only thing to save us! You didn't come home. You endangered your health. You didn't even notice my existence!"

"It's my job! I don't want to end up living as a bum on the street."

Jieun's face softened. "Is this about your mother?"

"Watch your mouth, Song Jieun." Yongguk had a steel tight grip on her which would without a doubt leave bruises in the morning.

She continued. "You need to let it go. You don't need to be there all the time, not with that kid."

"Are you jealous?" Yongguk was in fits of laughter now. "You're jealous. Of a child. A patient."

"Yongguk! They're already ed up. Don't yourself up with them. They're an anchor. And you'll sink."

Yongguk's hand took an almighty blow across the side of Jieun's face. She fell to the floor with a choked scream. Yongguk ignored her and walked into the kitchen to get a glass of water, wiping the smear of blood on his sleeve. Jieun staggered into the room, dazed by her boyfriend's sudden change of behaviour. Yongguk was never violent, even when he suspected her of cheating on him. She eyed the packet of pills on the table in shock.

"Yah, Yongguk,"

Yongguk slammed the glass on the bench, smashing the fragile form under his hand, slicing his palm in multiple directions. Jieun screamed.

"Bang Yong Guk! No. No. NO!" She shouted and continued to repeat herself, eyes wide in disbelief.

"Get out. I don't want to see you."

"Yongguk. You're not well. Sleep it off."

"Out."

"Where am I going to go? I have no money to my name. I went against my parents for you, I can't go back now."

Yongguk passed her the velvet box from his pocket and placed it in her hand. Her grip tightened on the blood soaked box. "Sell this and find someone to stay. Never see me again. If you see me in the street, turn away or." Yongguk stopped and placed his hand on her neck, able to nearly wrap it round her full length and squeezed gently. "I'll kill you." He pushed her away, Yongguk's blood dripping from her neck. She opened up the wet box to find a gold diamond encrusted engagement ring.