Helping Hand

Project Zelo

Yongguk felt his throat still burning from the bile lodged in his throat, though nothing felt more disgusting than the atmosphere of this place, the scent of horror still lingering in the stagnant air. It did not take long for him to quickly remove himself and return to the original room, the only sounds being the aging floorboards and his eerily ragged breath. He had always known what had happened to Zelo, but seeing it first hand, the scene of the crime, the evidence and the after effects of the child, it was all too much. "I didn't sign up for this," Yongguk said to himself, crashing down into a heap on the floor and wrapping his arms around his knees as if trying to keep himself in one piece. "All I wanted to d-do was help people and now, now all of this happened."

A familiar chain of events then unfolded. Yongguk could feel his pulse drumming in his ears, the rhythm fast an uneven, like an unfit athlete running a marathon in his head. The pulsations in his brain were painful and his eyesight blurred which every beat. His head became the drum that was getting hit across by the musician. The conductor. The puppet master. The dizziness continued as everything seemed to blend together, everything in the room was now in motion, the bed slowly moving across the tainted floors, the peeling wallpaper reaching out to the ceiling with it's spindly fingers and the stained curtains rearing their ugly stains.

Yongguk bit down on his now blue lips, he was going into shock.

"Yah, Yongguk. Get up now." Yongguk heard that familiar yet distant female voice harping at him again, though it swore to never chime again. He looked up at her towering up over him and groaned, placing his head in his hands. He was his own last support. He tried to speak slowly as his lips were trembling from the almighty cold engulfing him.

"Go away. You said you wouldn't come back."

She laughed, the sound healthy and lighthearted, though somehow sickening. "You believed that when I died too." Her sarcastic nature was new, she was never so twisted when she lived.

"What do you want?"

"I want to make things right." She smiled sympathetically towards her mess of a son on the floor. "I can't do much obviously. I just want to ask you something."

"If I answer, will you go away?"

"You really should think higher of yourself, dear. Stop beating yourself up over it, you'll only get worse-"

"I thought you had something to ask."

"I do. Do you think you are doing the right thing? Can you walk away from this all with no regrets and assure yourself that you are not at fault?"

Yongguk nodded as if the answer was obvious, not needing a verbal response from him. Something about her voice was off. It seemed strangely familar, more..masculine than usual.

"You're an idiot." The vocal tone was strikingly familiar, making him sick to his stomach once again.

"D-Daehyun?" Yongguk asked, not wanting to lift his head once more, frozen from the guilt. Instinct took over his body when the lock on the door, on his only exit, started jiggling about, emitting a distorted metallic noise that echoed through the tainted walls. Yongguk's breathing quickened into a borderline hyperventilating pace when the door itself started to move, as if possessed. Light seeped and diffused into the darkened expanse of air, illuminating the gangly silhouette like a halo. Jongup.

"Jongup?"

The younger doctor smiled sadly at Yongguk. "Up you get." He muttered, placing a hand in front of Yongguk's face, indicating for him to accept his help. Yongguk was lifted up off the ground, shocking himself at how light he had actually become. He opened his mouth to speak but quickly shut it again as his mouth was far too dry to emit sound. Jongup realised this and cut him off.

"Yongguk, let's play a game."

"A g-game?"

"I've managed to open every door in this house, including the front door. Let's play hide and seek, Gukkie. I'll count to one hundred and you'll get out of here. I owe you a headstart, so we'll play a game. I don't expect to find you."

"Jongup?"

Jongup ignored Yongguk and started slowly counting with his eyes closed. He stopped for a moment and muttered a 'good luck'.