Truth

Project Zelo

"I'm somewhat glad you asked me to come, I need to talk to Yongguk."

Himchan sighed. "I doubt he'd want to speak to you."

Jieun took a seat opposite Himchan. Across the desk obstructing the two, he sat in Yongguk's chair. It was as if sitting in the proud doctor's chair could somehow boost the lack of confidence he had in himself, especially at this moment right now. Himchan looked down, not able to make eye contact with the woman. "I'm sorry it had to happen like this."

Jieun nodded, taking in a quick gasp of breath, choking from the impact. "I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I even spoke to Daehyun about it. He didn't see a problem."

"Daehyun knows?"

Jieun nodded once more, her eyes blank and marble-like. Her stare was otherworldly, seeing not the pristine office but a sequence of now painful memories.

"Himchan. Don't mistaken love for pity. I'm a pitiful person, I know."

Himchan gulped, unable to protest.

"Jieun, what happened?"

She the pale healing scar across her cheek and ran her hands through her slightly unkempt hair, sniffing away the invisible tears.

"I said I'd pay him back."

"Pay him?"

"I had to quit my job. I didn't tell him but I assumed it would be obvious. I took a loan from our shared bank account. You know how I don't like to depend on him for money, even though he has quite an income."

"I don't think he's bothered about the loan.." Himchan's brain was numb. "Why did you take the loan?"

"I went to my university to request a leave of absence but because I'd opted to go on a trip with the college to Jeju, I had to pay to cancel my flight. I don't have a lot of money, you know that. I don't want to rely on him." She repeated. "I wanted to at least be able to pay for one thing regarding my child."

"Your what?"

"Come on, Himchan. This isn't news to me."

Youngjae was leaning in the doorway.

"What are you saying, Jieun?"

"I thought you all knew.. Yongguk and I didn't keep it a secret." Jieun's eyebrows furrowed in intense confusion, eyes darting at the two men who's eyes boggled in distress and shock. She turned around and fumbled in her bag. "If you don't believe me.." Jieun pulled out an envelope she'd recently been given and passed it to Youngjae. Youngjae scrambled to open the seal and pulled out a scan. A perfectly printed picture of a developing fetus.

"Yongguk said you lied."

Jieun stood, frozen. "Why would he say that? Does he hate me that much?"

"." Jongup shouted from behind the door. He had been listening in to the conversation.

"Come with me." Youngjae said to both Himchan and Jieun. "You have a spare key to his house, right?" Jieun nodded, pointing at Himchan.

"What's wrong with him? Why would he say that."

"Jieun-ah. He's not well."

Jieun gasped, forming a perfect 'o' shape. "His mother.."

"Exactly."

"What about his mother?" Himchan joined in.

"Long story short. His mother died of complications due to mental illness. She killed herself, to be blunt. Now, what she had is capable of running through genetics to her children. I always knew that he would be very much likely to develop symptoms so I illegally gave him a prescription on tablets to balance out chemical levels in his brain, to stop the development. It is possible that they have not worked but I want to check something out. I'm surprised he didn't tell you, Himchan."

"No." Himchan whispered. "He probably didn't want me to see him in another light."

Youngjae's hands trembled violently as he forced the key into the protesting lock. He knew the answer to the query he faced, but he needed to be sure. Once inside, Youngjae ordered Jongup and Himchan to search the house, one member in the bedroom and another in the kitchen.

Youngjae himself checked the bathroom. Jongup came in. "I had my suspicions. You were right, I did give him the medication. The anti-depressants that is. I wanted to see if they intensified the psychosis I suspected he had. I'm sorry, hyung." Youngjae nodded along, opening the cabinet above the sink. He peered into the dimly lit space. Before him was multiple packets stacked up, almost like a Jenga puzzle. He took the top packet off, knocking all of the other boxes onto the glossy floor tiles. "." He read the name on the front of the box. The same Lithium based tablets he had sent to him for the last few years. Thousands of dollars worth. "Yongguk. I am going to KILL you!" Youngjae shouted, anger rushing through every vein, mixed with betrayal.