Neighbours

Project Zelo

"We're meeting far too often."

Yongguk turned to see Daehyun staring at him with his eyebrows raised. It wasn't intentional, of course, Yongguk just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Yongguk didn't answer and walked on, holding his coffee as if it were his own life force. The coffee warmed him extremely since he had gotten ill from being out in that rain a few days back, plus he needed the energy and caffeine.

"Yongguk!" He heard Daehyun shout. "Can I see him?" The question came out as a throaty croak.

Yongguk didn't want Daehyun near him. Not at all. He had to remind him that Daehyun was technically the only 'family' he had and by law his guardian, so he could not say no, no matter how much he wanted to.

Somehow he had quickly gotten back to his place of work. With Daehyun.

"Zelo?" Daehyun said, trying to wake up the sleeping boy.

Junhong woke up from his slumber, eyes widening when he saw Daehyun standing above him. He was down by the bed on one knee, trying hard not to hurt his injury.

"Hyung." He whispered, not knowing if he should be happy or not at Daehyun's appearance. Yongguk lurked in the background, making notes of what may occur.

"I'm sorry. For before. At the funeral. I was just still angry."

Junhong ignored him.

"Hyung, what happened to the nice lady who lived next door?"

"She moved, I think. Why?"

"She was here. When Junhong first came here. She sneaked into Junhong's room and told us something."

Yongguk smirked at the use of 'us'. Finally he was right. Success. He'd never been unable to diagnose a patient and this kid had given him a run for his money. But something was still off. Who was that woman? Why was she here?

"What did she say?"

"She said, 'Yongguk is a good boy. He'll look after you. Umma wouldn't leave you alone with a nasty man'. Junhong trusts Yongguk now."

Daehyun's head snapped around to look at Yongguk.

"Yah, Yongguk. Did you ever have a caucasian woman staying here? Middle aged, really sweet. She'd ran away from her husband after he had abused both her and her son. I don't know what happened to the boy, but it sounded grim. She lived not far from us and treat Junhong like her old son."

Yongguk did not need to think. He knew exactly who they meant.

The lady was middle aged, her face accented with laugh lines, however, no wrinkles tainted her now leathery skin. She was caucasian and didn't speak much Korean, causing her to only speak to staff when she was comfortable. It was later found out that she had run away from her husband to Korea. Yongguk didn't know why, but she was a very mysterious woman. "Are you all set?" Yongguk smiled at her. Being the gentleman he was, he'd carried her bags to the entrance. The woman smiled and waved to the taxi driver, signalling that she would be a short while.

"Don't forget what I said. If anything happens, you have my number, don't hesitate to ask!" Yongguk said sternly. He'd grown attached also to his makeshift mother and wanted to see her off well. She kissed him on the cheek swiftly and gave him a post-it note. Before getting into the taxi, she turned to Yongguk and spoke in her heavily accented voice. "Take care of Joonhong, my son" She blew him another kiss.

He swallowed, still not answering the question.

"Where did she go?"

Zelo joined in.

"Hyung, she said she wouldn't leave me, but then she did. In your 'capable' hands. Where is she?"

"She killed herself." Yongguk whispered, not believing anything he was hearing.

The room fell silent.

Yongguk dragged Daehyun out of the room when he finally composed himself. He had a perfect idea of what may have happened here.

"You said she treated Junhong like her own son, yes?"

Daehyun nodded.

"And what happened to her son was grim?"

Daehyun nodded, this time a shorter nod.

"You know what happened to him. You just didn't want to mention it to Junhong. Obviously it is something he'd react to. Badly."

Daehyun's lips pursed.

"What happened to her kid, Daehyun?"

"He was . By his dad."

Of course.