Rescue

Project Zelo

Youngjae stared emptily towards the lazily printed fax he received earlier, motioning for Jongup to come over and take a look. Jongup glared at Youngjae, feeling as if Youngjae was mocking him. He remembered and then bowed in apology to Jongup. In the tense atmosphere, they were all forgetting the smaller details. Youngjae turned to Jieun, thinking of a million different strategies to cushion the blow.

"Jieun-"

He was cut off by the sound of footsteps closing in on them, followed by a slim shadow behind the door. The shadow was distorted and strange, surrounded by an eerie bright light, almost otherwordly. On cue, he entered the room after an intake of breath by Jieun's lungs. Yongguk.

"Hi Gukkie~" Jongup chimed, feigning the most sickingingly sweet aegyo that had ever lived.

Yongguk nodded in formal greeting before his eyes locked on the sight of Jieun. "What is she doing here?" Jieun in response edged towards Youngjae for protection, an action that did not go unnoticed by Yongguk himself. She, after an attempt to get away from her increasingly taunting ex, opened to speak, only to be cut off by her own bout of stuttering and ramble.

"She's pregnant, Yongguk."

Yongguk nodded slowly, his eyes scanning the room for Himchan, the man he thought was at fault for that. His indifference and emotionless response shocked Jongup, an effect opposite to the anti-depressant's purpose. Himchan wasn't present, an outcome that surprised Yongguk as the man had always been a puppy to him.

"That's got nothing to do with me, we broke up."

Youngjae contemplated and smiled. "What if I was to tell you that the baby was yours?"

Yongguk snorted, doubting the implication.

Youngjae's fist clenched in the anger of being ridiculed, passing Yongguk the fax he'd gotten. Yongguk glanced shortly at the fuzzy writing with his eyebrow raised. Youngjae nodded at him to read it.

Yongguk couldn't make sense of the words at all, they all blended together and started to sound the same.

"Read it."

Yongguk frowned at the paper, watching the letters change. YOUR FAULT. The only two words he could understand, blemishing the page with its unruly scrawl. He the letter back at Youngjae who seemed bemused.

"I guess I'll read it then." Jieun turned to Youngjae with a confused frown. Youngjae cleared his throat. "It's from Daehyun.

I highly suggest to prevent any chance of suspicion on your part, you dispose of this letter in an orderly fashion after reading it.

I am also sending a similar fax to the Seoul police station in about an hours time. I'd like to apologise to Youngjae, Jongup and Yongguk sincerely on this situation. I can't go on any longer with this immense feeling of guilt hanging to on my bare shoulders. 

I, Jung Daehyun, will be confessing to the murder of Junhong's father, though my motives were clear. I could not physically cope from the disgust and regret of seeing Junhong, a friend and neighbour of mine, being abused in both a ual and physical manner.

I also agree that my actions were unforgivable in a court of law. On this note, I will be sending the police officers to this hospital, it's the only way. Junhong will not react very well to this, but he will have to be questioned.

Yongguk. Keep him silent. You are his doctor. If you can lie to the police and say that he is suffering from emotional trauma, causing him to become mute, you can save him. I apologise to Youngjae and Jongup who are unlikely to understand what I mean here, but Yongguk, you know exactly what I am implying."

Jieun burst into uncontrollable tears in harmony with the ugly sobbing noises that emitted not from her lungs, but from her heart.

"And Yongguk, please don't treat Jieun like this for any longer. You know she doesn't deserve it.

Jieun, if you have any chance of reading this before it is destroyed forever, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I can't be there for you, I'm sorry I was a bad friend and I'm sorry I did this to a boy whom you fawned over. I can apologise a thousand times, but nothing will make this alright. This is for the best."

Daehyun had left the note without a goodbye. Goodbye's are always the gesture that hurt, the gesture that people will remember. Come fifty years time, you will only remember the good times, the love and the adoration of your family, your friends and even your pets after they are gone.

Yongguk's heart raced, a feeling of undiluted guilt washing through him, turning his muscles to jelly. He glanced up at Jongup who was purposely avoiding Youngjae and Jieun's glares, his eyes glassy with unfallen tears. He too was feeling guilt.

"Have you seen him?" Youngjae demanded.

Yongguk shook his head forcefully, feeling the bone grind from the exertion. Youngjae saw Jongup fumbling in his pocket with trembling hands.

"What's in your pocket, Jongup?"