Destruction

Project Zelo

"What are you going to do?"

"What do you mean, what am I going to do? This is your problem!"

Zelo leaned back towards the wall and grinned. "Don't you think I've done enough." Yongguk rolled his eyes. "You'll know what I mean, once you dip your hands in the blood yourself."

"Why would I be bleeding?"

"Not your own blood. The blood of someone else. When someone dies by your hands, it doesn't go away." Zelo's hands clenched. "I've scrubbed at it and washed it until my hands go raw but it doesn't go. It feels slimy and wrong."

Zelo looked beyond Yongguk as if looking at whatever was behind him. The look in his eyes were detached from his body, seeing things that were not visible to the eye. Not even the potentially grave situation he had fallen into could not wipe away his overwhelming feeling of euphoria.

"Someone is going to fall and they won't get back up."

 

 

Jongup slipped his hand into the jacket pocket, his thumb gently the tape recorder, making sure that there was absolutely no chance that anyone could get their hands on it. No one in the room noticed his arm shaking in fear. Youngjae kept a blister packet of lithium pills in his palm, treating them as if they were delicate ornaments.

"Himchan. Why didn't you say anything about Jieun to Yongguk?"

"I'm being honest when I say I didn't know."

"I thought you two were close."

Jieun joined in. "When Yongguk left to study, Himchan was still there. We did go to school together and for some reason, Himchan felt like home to me. I'd see him when I wanted to get away and we'd talk. We'd talk mostly about nothing, just random statements or queries that would pop into our heads. However, like the way we see home, we always as people want to move away. Yongguk was like a villa abroad. Though home is supposedly where the heart is, my heart was always yearning towards England. By the time I'd saved enough money to visit him, he'd finished his degree."

Jongup nodded, watching Jieun's eyes fill up.

"Why did he do this? I thought he loved me."

Jongup thought for a minute, realising that staying as quiet as he would could spark suspicion on himself.

"How did you and Yongguk get together?"

Himchan answered for the girl who cringed away at the question. "Jieun and Yongguk had one thing in common that brought them together. They both lost someone they loved."

Jieun placed a hand on Himchan's shoulder and smiled wearily to indicate that he could stop. "Before I dated Yongguk I had a previous boyfriend. We were fading away and we had both decided to become friends. We'd arranged to meet once more before calling it quits to see if the spark between us was still there. He never turned up. He'd died, in a car accident. I remember the last thing he told me. 'Jieun, I'm being truthful when I say that I cannot live without you, even as friends I will persevere in making you happy. I promise you.' I guess he was right saying he couldn't live without me. I knew Yongguk had liked me for a long time and I knew he'd lost his mother. It was our masochistic connection."

"Is this perhaps?"

"Daehyun's brother."

Youngjae and Jongup stared at him in disbelief. Everyone somehow had gotten involved with Zelo, even if indirectly. They were all in danger.

"Daehyun told me he felt inclined to do the deed his brother could not. He became my friend. They look alike. They sound alike. They have the same smile. I can't help it if I'm just using him for the nostalgia. I can't be without him now, he's my best friend."

 

 

Yongguk closed the door behind him, remembering Zelo's words.

"You can either help me or you can't. I really do like you and I hope you like me too. If you do, be my saviour. I'll be devoted to you for every single day that I live. I need to get out. Away from Daehyun. Away from Himchan. Away from Jongup and Youngjae. Especially Jieun. She doesn't know anything that happened between me and hyung and I know fine well she won't take it well. Youngjae and Jongup won't let this be easy, I can tell by their personalities. You're scared of needles, Yongguk, I saw the way you cringed when they sedated me. I'm really sorry I tried to attack you, but it's all an act. Junhong is sorry too, that it ended up this way. That every single movement was for this day. Two needles, that's all you need. Sedate them and I'll escape. I'll be out of your hair. Junhong doesn't deserve this. Junhong did nothing wrong. Why did Junhong's daddy have to this all up for us?"

"Yongguk?"

Yongguk looked up, snapping from his trance.

"Daehyun."