Professionalism

Project Zelo

Yongguk didn't make it far past a park in the middle of town. The concrete surrounded bundle of lush greenery and pleasant atmosphere glistened with fresh tears that were earthy and had a naturally enticing aroma. It hadn't passed 6am yet. He didn't even contact Youngjae and Jongup who were still at the damned hospital waiting for his discharge. Something was attracting him like a polar magnet without a clue of what the appealing aura was. 

Suddenly he felt winded and had to sit down, taking a rest by a designated oak that hung it's branches close to the ground in shame.

Yongguk saw a woman walk towards him, wearing a fitted black dress that hung to her womanly figure nicely, keeping a classy attitude. Instead of walking on, it seemed she had intended to walk over to him.

As she got closer, he facial features became more distinguishable. Her eyes were warm and mysterious, an eerie black ring around the edge of her muddy irises. Her face had become to age nicely, a few laugh lines sprinkled around the pale clear skin. Her hair was tied up in a messy bun with a few stray hairs escaped from it's grip, scattered across her scalp leaving cherubic ringlets.

Yongguk held his breath, pulse quickening at an alarming rate.

"Yongguk." Her voice was calm and soothing, like chime bells in the wind.

"Mom?"

"This doesn't make sense. This isn't happening. Yongguk. You're sleeping. You'll wake up. You'll wake up in bed with your girlfriend beside you and everything will be perfect. Wake. Up."

Yongguk subconsciously pinched himself, his mother watching the action with her brows raised.

"Gukkie, don't be so silly."

She sat down by the tree next to him, legs tucked under like a lady.

"What's wrong? You know you can tell your mom. It's what I'm here for."

"Mom..I'm scared."

A petite pale hand his matted hair like that of a newborn puppy.

"Yongguk. You're not like me. You can change things. I couldn't. And now I never will. I'm here for you, even if you don't see it, or realise it. The way you are around that kid, I can't describe it. You can save him."

Yongguk choked up an uncharacteristic sob.

"You'd make a great father, you know that."

Yongguk never thought of himself as a father to Junhong. He never actually pictured himself as anything to Junhong, or what Junhong was to him. Just a patient. They all move on and leave eventually.

He didn't want the boy to go.

"Maybe you are like me, after all."

"Mom, why did you have to die and leave me. You promised you wouldn't!"

"Yongguk, who are you talking to?"

Yongguk's head snapped up to see a confused Jongup. He made sure before lifting his head that he wiped any residue of tear from his face.

"Daydreaming!" Yongguk smiled a sickly and uneasy smile.