Helplessness

Project Zelo

Jieun the cold neck of her friend and became surprised at how soft and vulnerable it felt, though it's icy cold was evident and frightening. A signal of things to come. As she grazed her manicured fingers across the solid outline of his collarbones, she felt a flimsy silver chain grace its hollows. The metal was warmer than the papery skin. Following the trail of silver chinks, Jieun found a pendant. A locket, to be precise. She opened it with abandon, ignoring any guilt due to the sudden invasion of privacy, ripping open the tiny lock from the sterling teardrop shape. Inside, there was a single image on one of the two sides of the locket. The picture was small, nearly too tiny and precious to make out, but Jieun knew. It was the only image Daehyun had of him and his older brother.

"Daehyun-ah, I'm sorry." Jieun whispered before tearing the necklace from his being, the silver easily giving way underneath her trembling grip.

Jieun got up off her knees and quickly retreated back up the corridor, pulling out her phone from her dress pocket. She dialled an old number.

"Hyosung?"

"Jieun? Is that you?"

"Yeah, it is." Jieun's voice was desperate, her voice trembling as she fought back tears.

"What can I do for you?" Hyosung's voice was it's cheery self.

"Can I...Would I be able to stay with you for a bit?"

"Now? It's my day off...but I've been asked to go into work. There isn't enough staff on the emergency squad and if anything happens, I'll need to be on call."

Jieun remembered that Hyosung was a police inspector. She gasped in realisation.

"Hyosung. Don't go to work. Please." Jieun begged. 

"Jieun, what's wrong? We haven't spoken in eight months but I know you. You're being weird. Did something happen with Yongguk?"

"I'm pregnant, Hyosung."

"I'll leave the door unlocked. Get over here, now."

Jieun hung up on Hyosung, unable to make another word come out of . Being five months pregnant and having such an intense situation in her life was taking a toll on her heart. She walked onwards on wobbling legs that attempted to betray her.

Jongup peered out of the blinds and into the rain. In the distance, he saw the shadow of a woman. A woman with Jieun's petite figure, recently becoming disproportionate. He sighed at the sight. "I hope she knows what she's doing." Suddenly, his own phone began to vibrate.

Jongup looked at the text from Himchan.

I think he might be waking up. What should I do?

Biting his lip, Jongup responded tentitively.

Don't worry, I'll leave Youngjae and I'll be over soon.