Funeral

Project Zelo

Himchan sat in Yongguk's chair feeling nothing but importance. He scrolled through the documents on the desktop and checking the calendar for appointments. Youngjae was lolling on the sofa without doing anything productive, watching Jongup play cards with himself. He exerted every ounce of energy left to look at Himchan.

"Isn't today the day of the funeral?"

Yongguk bounded through the door, making quite the entrance.

"Come on, get changed. We're going to a funeral!"

They all stared at Yongguk.

"Are you ing insane?" Jongup spat, completely out of character. Though childlike, he was very sensitive to situations such as these.

"Not to mention, you stole from her." Himchan said.

"On her deathbed." Youngjae added.

"Guys." Yongguk cocked his head to the side. "You make me out to be some kind of criminal. We need to go, plus, we're taking Zelo."

The three men looked at him, waiting for the punchline. He was serious.

"His adopted mother has just died and humanely we can't keep him trapped away from saying goodbye for a final time. We'll accompany him and he'll be fine. It'll take less than an hour."

A little later and the four had changed into respectable black suits. Junhong was lending one of Himchan's which fit surprisingly well for a kid of his age. Zelo was really quite tall for his age. The kid fumbled with his tie as he was escorted out by a security guard. His reaction to daylight was similar to that of a vampire.

On the ride over it began to rain. Heavily.

Jongup and Himchan lead the way, with Zelo in the middle. Yongguk and Youngjae were behind, keeping a watchful eye on the boy. He had no way of escaping. The old church door creaked loud, the booming noise shaking the wooden framework. All the attendees were seated, but had turned around due to the noise. The casket lay proudly in front, but all eyes were on Zelo. It was expected that they would quickly turn back in sympathy, but they didn't. They stared and stared for what seemed like forever. Yongguk overheard some of the rude titters.

"Is that her second boy?"

"Poor thing, I heard what happened to his parents."

"I heard he was at fault."

"Why is he here?"

"Losing both parents and adopted parents in the course of a few months, it's a shame."

"He's probably jinxed. I mean, look at him."

Daehyun intervened, quickly shooing his younger adopted sibling to his seat at the front. The three hung out at the back, keeping a low profile. The service was painful, even for someone who did not know the woman at all. She was clearly known in society, people of any age attended. Yongguk even felt the beginnings of guilt well up in his chest. It didn't hurt though.

When the service was over, Himchan brought Zelo to the car. The other guests had began to leave, spreading out in many directions like an infection. Looking over his shoulder, he saw Daehyun exit the church. With Jieun. Jieun stopped and stared, her eyes on Yongguk. They darted from him to the kid who was getting back into the car, strangely submissive judging by his past actions. As the two walked over, Daehyun showed a wary smile to Junhong, who stared daggers back at him.

"Yongguk. That kid you were looking after..was Choi Junhong?"

"What's your point?"

Zelo quickly broke from Himchan's steel like grip. The boy was frighteningly strong. He leaped at Jieun and hugged her. Jieun's hands raised up to his face, as if she couldn't believe it was him. "Noona! Noona, Noona, Noona~" The boy sang, leaving Yongguk, Himchan, Youngjae, Jongup and Daehyun gobsmacked. Daehyun even looked afraid. He grabbed Junhong by the wrist, his grip tightening audibly. After Junhong stopped, the grip still became tighter, Daehyun's nails digging into the skin.

"Hyung! Zelo never did anything wrong! Ever!" The young boy tried to reassure Daehyun, but he spat the word 'Zelo' with a strong distaste. Jieun looked panicked and began to pull Daehyun away. Though he let go, his glare did not move a centimetre.

"Get him away from me. And Jieun-ah."

Zelo kept smiling as if he was unaware of the situation.