Death 2

Project Zelo

"I'm sorry you had to go through that, I really am. It must be a miracle that he is gone."

Zelo hushed the rambling Yongguk.

"For a while after, Junhong experienced that night many times over. Sometimes he couldn't walk. Junhong stopped going to school because of teachers being nosy. He couldn't even remember how to multiply or divide two simple numbers. Every day he just sat there, remembering the feeling many times over. It was awful.

When Junhong had a moment away from his dad, he normally met with a boy who lived in the same neighbourhood. He was called Jung Daehyun and he was a bit older than Junhong, but treat him like a brother. Not that Junhong ever got that family-like feeling. A woman who lived next to Daehyun-hyung would bring Junhong and Daehyun juice. She was a nice lady, but she didn't speak much Korean.

It still got worse though and Junhong needed a cry for help. He'd make little marks, but he was too scared to hurt himself. The marks and scars were supposed to help make someone guess that Junhong wasn't okay. It didn't work though."

Yongguk stopped Zelo for a moment by caressing his abused arms. He knew it wasn't very healthy for a patient to reveal so much about a repressed past without going into an intense state of shock.

"One night, it was extremely bad. His daddy hurt Junhong in that way three times that night. Junhong didn't even know that you could bleed from there. Halfway through the fourth time, his dad got a phone call. So he left Junhong on the floor in pain. He wasn't done there and once he would return, it would be twice as bad. Junhong's dad went outside on the balcony to take his call and to have a cigarette at the same time."

Zelo gripped at the obvious cigarette burn in the hollow of his collar bone, remembering the scene.

"Junhong had to leave, he had no choice. He put on his clothes quickly, but he was caught. His dad dragged him out to the balcony and threatened that he'd never see the light of day again. Junhong could feel the pain from the healing wounds open again, so in reflex, he pushed his dad away from him, wishing he would just leave. Hyung, do you believe in angels granting wishes? I do."

Yongguk stayed silent for a minute, digesting the information. Suddenly his brain kick started and he started to vomit a random array of words.

"So Mr. Choi that died on the news? The house. The crime scene. He's your dad."

"Daehyun was there and he saw from outside. I think he was walking home. He took Junhong to his house and reassured him that he had done nothing wrong. The foreign woman saw Junhong and gave him a look. She just knew somehow. That's why Daehyun's mom took Junhong in. Junhong is so thankful to Daehyun, even though Daehyun hates him now."

"Why does Daehyun hate you?"

"Daehyun told Junhong that if he could forget about what happened. Repress the memories. It didn't work. So Daehyun said that Junhong could give himself a new identity, someone he wants to be. Then Junhong met me, Zelo. But one day, I was talking to Daehyun in the kitchen and he was saying how he needs to get the police involved to sort out all of the legal work. Then they'd find out Junhong killed him, one way or another. So Junhong refused profusely, trying to get away, but Daehyun had him pinned down. So Junhong used a tactic that helped him survive earlier in his life. To hurt someone before they'd hurt him. He reached for the knife on the bench and ed it into Daehyun's leg. Daehyun finally understood and promised to take Junhong somewhere safe. I ended up here."