Fairy Tales

Project Zelo

A month or so had passed and there had been no further advances with Zelo's case. After the spaghetti incident he had been otherwise unresponsive.

Yongguk started writing on the whiteboard in red marker. The marker injected a flood of colour into the office, though the intent behind the words weren't colourful. Yongguk wrote down the words 'Zelo', 'Jun?', 'Violent', 'Fairy Tale' and 'Self Harming'. Though he wasn't sure about the connection, he used this as a code that no one but Himchan and himself would understand. He flopped back into his chair temperamentally, part of him wanting to give up. He looked at his monitor for any clues. He watched Zelo carefully as he yawned. The yawn was infectious as it caused Yongguk to yawn also. That was when he realised he hadn't been home in four days. Himchan had left the building a while back and Yongguk and Zelo were the only awake ones there, apart from the odd security guard and night nurse. Zelo suddenly sparked Yongguk's attention. He lay down on his bed and cringed. From there, he took a pillow from the bed and lay on the floor. Within minutes, he was asleep. 

"I see." Yongguk began talking to himself out of sheer exhaustion. "Zelo must have spend a majority of his life in an uncomfortable place. The bed has some degree of comfort which makes him feel insecure" Yongguk took his marker and added 'Sensitive to comfort' on his list of jargon. A wave of tiredness hit him like a tsunami. Knowing he wasn't going to be able to work in these conditions, he decided to go home.

"Yongguk-ah?" Jieun said, her hopes up high as she heard the door open. Yongguk stumbled into his house, drunk with tiredness.

"Bang Yongguk. You have to stop this right now. You're hurting yourself!" Jieun raised her voice at her boyfriend.

"Jieun-ah. This is what I do. It's my life. Saving people's lives is more important than making sure I get an optimum level of sleep per night!"

"Saving?" She scoffed. "Nothing can save them. They're not like us, Yongguk. They aren't worth it."

Yongguk thought of Zelo, a healthy young boy resorted to violence to protect himself from whatever tried to hurt him once before. And succeeded. Yongguk remembered the cold sweats drenching the boy's blonde curly locks. "What did you say?" He edged towards his petite woman. "I can't believe you, Song Jieun."

She looked at him with fear in her eyes. "I'm sorry Yongguk. I'm just feeling hormonal."

"Do you have to be so selfish? I don't want to become a bum like you who lives on someone else's money they worked hard for, their own blood, sweat and tears." Yongguk grabbed her wrist to prevent her from escaping.

"Yongguk, you're hurting me!" She started to cry. "You're not just hurting me.."

"What do you mean?" Yongguk demanded fiercely.

"I'm..pregnant?" Jieun stuttered out.

"What?" Yongguk asked again, this time, his brain was a little dazed.

"Yonggukkie. You're going to be a dad. So don't do this to me anymore." Jieun slid her arms under Yongguk's as he let go of his grip on her. She pulled him into a tight hug. His only response was hugging back.

"I don't know if I want this." Yongguk thought to himself.