Work

Project Zelo

Youngjae had the phone in the office on speaker. He sat there, in Yongguk's chair, rubbing his temples with his thumb and forefinger. His stressed expression made him look like he was aging very quickly. The wind outside had died down enough to hear himself think. His eyes darted over to Jongup and back suspiciously before sighing.

"Yes, Dr. Bang is going to be the father."

"Really? When Jieun-ssi was in earlier she seemed a bit jumpy about the situation."

Youngjae gritted his teeth, wanting to get off the phone with this incompetant doctor.

"Jumpy how?"

"Well, we had a patient who wasn't in a very good place so we were contemplating on requesting help from Bang Yong Guk, but as Miss. Song was in the room she was adamant that we should not try and get in contact with the doctor. She even went as far as to say that he was visiting family."

"And what is the problem with that?"

"We all know that he has no family."

Youngjae bit his lip, trying to make a lie conjure up. "It was supposed to be kept on the down low, but Yongguk was to be married to Miss. Jieun. He's away visiting her parents. He said he wanted to go about marriage the right way. Jieun's family, I know them well, are quite conservative and so she's rather worried about the outcome. I've said too much. One of our doctors can come over to the hospital if you need them, so email us with any details."

Youngjae slammed the phone back onto the receiver. "Jieun is creating more problems for us." Jongup hummed in response, shoving some of his belongings into his backpack. Youngjae scrutinised his actions, raising a single brow at the frantic younger. "Jongup, where are you going?"

"Ah, nowhere Hyung. I just want to step out for a little while." Jongup wiped a bead of sweat from his  forehead and made sure he deleted his caller history. Shoving his phone into his pocket, he turned to his hyung, who sighed in pity at Jongup. Youngjae got out of his seat and walked slowly over to Jongup. He placed both hands on Jongup's smaller shoulders, his grip tightening slightly. Youngjae leaned in, his face a mere inch or so from Jongup's who began to blink rapidly. "Jonguppie, you're too soft." He whispered, his tone bringing floods of memories back to Jongup, re-instating Youngjae as his protective elder. "I know he's done so much for you, just don't screw it up." Youngjae's voice turned into a threat.

Jongup sat in the plush chair, hoping he would just sink into it and be swallowed whole by the soft fabric. He'd just gotten into London with Youngjae in hopes that this would be their big break into the career they have been trying so hard to obtain. Speaking of Youngjae, he was over the other side of the room, mingling and laughing with some other students. Jongup stared daggers right into the back of his head.

The entrance party had been going on for about three hours now and there seemed to be no signal that it was going to come to a close any time soon. Jongup sighed at this, wanting to get it over with and just get to sleep. Youngjae had fleetingly introduced him to some new aqaintances that he had met over the couple of hours spent there, but had gone back, probably for the alcohol.

"Moon Jongup-ssi?" Jongup jumped at the sound of his name. Looking up from his seat he saw a young, well dressed man looking down at him with crossed arms, showing his gummy smile. "I've heard about you." He added, causing Jongup to blink in confusion.

"I'd say I've heard about you too, but everyone here has." I said sarcastically.

"I'll introduce myself anyway. Hello, I'm Bang Yong Guk. But you already knew that." He stuck out his hand to shake, which Jongup stared at for a while before taking it in his, shaking curtly. Yongguk took a seat next to Jongup, crossing his leg. "I'm going to be honest with you. Once I heard about you, I've been wanting to know. How did you get in here?" Jongup knew what he meant immediately as he was indeed incapable of doing his job in the way everyone else seemed to here. He was here for a scholarship, as was Youngjae. They'd promised that if one of them didn't get in, they'd both leave. But Jongup knew that with those conditions, they'd be leaving. Before Jongup could open his mouth, Yongguk spoke again. "I'll change my words. Why do you want to be here?"

"I want to be able to help people. I'm not incapable of doing my job, I'll just have to adapt. Do it differently. We all have to adapt at some point, we're not all born the same. That's why I'm here. To help those who were not born the same as normal people, mentally of course. When you don't use a function that is used by everyone normally, your other senses heighten. I might not be able to understand a document regarding a patient, but I'm more...observant. I'll be able to see things a lot easier than you can."

Yongguk smirked at Jongup. "You know if you said that to the panel, they'd probably send you home."

"I know, but I can at least try. You don't get anything from giving up before you've even tried."

"What if I told you that I was one of the officials? A good word from me will give you that scholarship almost automatically, you know."

Jongup opened his mouth to speak, but closed it again like a fish. Yongguk stood up and laughed, sticking out his hand again, this time, friendlier. "Welcome to B.A.P, Jongup!" Yongguk shook his hand before waltzing off to wherever he had come from. Once he was a far distance from Jongup, he turned back. "Oh and Jongup?" He shouted back, causing a few heads to turn. "You owe me."

"What do you mean I owe you? What do i owe you?" 

"I don't know. I'll tell you what, if I'm in a tough situation, you'll be the first one I ask for help." Yongguk walked away laughing to himself.

"Bang Yong Guk spoke to you?" Youngjae asked from behind causing Jongup to jump a little.

Jongup began to tear up a little. "Hyung! I got in!"

"I owe him so much." Jongup whispered. Youngjae heard this and tightened his grip further on Jongup's shoulders, eliciting a hiss of pain from the younger.