Sterile

Project Zelo

He opened his eyes to a bright light, the sterile stench stinging his nose. Scent was the first sense to awaken, sending the man into a short bout of panic.

"Rise and shine, genius." Youngjae's voice as cold. Irritable. He sounded both suspicious and tired, as if he hadn't slept for a good while.

"Hyung's awake!" Jongup jumped on the bed, making it creak loudly. Yongguk had yet to open his eyes. Touch was the next sense he felt when the boy landed almost right on top of him.

"You'd think a genius like you would know how to fight off the common cold."

Yongguk groaned and clutched his throbbing head in an attempt to stop the pulsing sensation. The room he was in was white. Tidy with the undeniable odour of bleach and cleaning products.

"Yeah, hyung! You were out for nearly two days!"

Yongguk tried to shut Jongup up. "What about Junhong?"

"He hasn't spoken to anyone, he only trusts you." Youngjae intercepted so matter of factly.

"What kind of behaviour has he shown?"

"Hyung! Do you ever think of anything but work?"

Yongguk shook his head causing Jongup to sigh.

"Well.."

Jongup was cut off by a man clearing his throat by the room's door. Infamous Dr. Park was leaning against it, eyebrows slightly raised in amusement. He motioned for the other two men to leave the room. Yongguk didn't even notice that Himchan was not there. Yongguk sighed, not ever wanting to see this man's face for a long time.

"I never thought we'd meet like this, doctor and patient."

"Small world." Yongguk did not want to seem rude, but gave off the impression that he didn't want to talk.

"You had a very high fever and collapsed. I just need to take your blood and you're free to go."

Without warning, he withdrew the daunting needle. Yongguk was always known to have an intense fear of needles. As the damned thing got closer, he waited for his instincts to push the doctor away. Nothing happened. The glistening pointed tip sunk it's teeth deep into the nook of Yongguk's exposed elbow. Pain didn't come. Yongguk looked up at the doctor feeling numb. Not even alive.

When the doctor removed the needle, he saw blood. "At least I know I'm alive."

"Oh! One last question."

Yongguk nodded

"Are you on any medications at the moment? I need to know in case something shows up in your blood stream which I'm not aware about."

Yongguk looked the doctor in the eye. "None." He answered innocently.

With a turn of the heel, soon the doctor was gone and Yongguk had had enough. He reached for his coat and walked out, unofficially discharging himself.