The Boy

Project Zelo

Yongguk sat at his desk typing away absent mindedly. The office had grey walls that were decorated with plain grey curtains and a grey carpet. Though this office of his was very bland, he himself was quite the opposite. He wore a fitted black suit which contrasted well against his red hair. Yongguk was working so hard on his latest psychology novel that he did not notice his phone vibrate violently. Only 22 years old and Yongguk had graduated at the top of his class in a year less than his degree was supposed to take. He had become one of Korea's finest psychologists and had published educational novels on the subject.

"Come in," he called automatically as he heard a quick knock on the office door. He smiled. "Secretary Kim, what can I do for you?"

"Dr. Bang, there's a call for you from Seoul General Hospital. They say there's a patient there who doesn't respond to any treatment. They have requested that they transfer the boy over here."

Yongguk nodded thoughtfully, the statement intruiging him.

"All treatment?"

"Yes. It seems the boy won't even speak to any of the staff."

"When he's brought over, I'll take a look immediately."

Secretary Kim picked up the vibrating phone and showed the caller ID to Yongguk. His girlfriend Song Jieun had been trying to call him for about twenty minutes. His handset was becoming impatient as he groaned irritably. Handing him the phone, Secretary Kim smiled.

"Excuse me," Yongguk mumbled politely as the other man headed for the door. "Thank you, Himchan." He added quickly and smiled back at his friend.

"Yongguk-ah? When are you coming home?"


"Sorry Jieun, I'm tied up at work."


"Yah! Bang Yongguk! You haven't come home in two days now!"

 

"Jieun, I'm sorry. I'll be back tonight. I have to go, bye"

 

Yongguk hung up the phone quickly. Lately Jieun had been becoming impatient and controlling in the relationship. The two were high school sweethearts, but now since he had such an important job, they hadn't been seeing each other later. Shortly after, Yongguk got through the majority of his workload when he received another call. He groaned once more.

"Yah! Jieun, I'm busy. I thought I told you."
"Yongguk! It's Himchan you pabo!" Himchan laughed loudly through the phone.

"Anyway, the boy has arrived. He's in room 23,"

Yongguk made his way to the room. Working in a mental institute had taken his toll on the doctor but he also felt tranquil as all the patients greeted him politely, no matter what their state was. Bowing politely and greeting them also, Yongguk made his way to room 23. Upon opening the door, he saw the patient. A small blonde boy was curled up on the metal bed, staring at the intruder. He was a teenager, still quite young. He had long curly hair which was nearly the same shade as his white porcelain skin. His skin was blemished with many scars and discolourations on every inch of his exposed body which looked painful against the blue hospital gown he wore.

"My name is Bang Yongguk, I'll be your doctor while you stay here." He smiled friendily as he repeated his lines he had rehearsed and practised the last few years. "What's your name?"

The boy continued to stare, his brown eyes visually darkening. It was obvious that the young boy felt threatened due to his surroundings. Yongguk made a mental note of this. The boys eyes flickered past Yongguk.

"Erm, Yongguk?" Himchan was behind him, holding the boys medical folder. The folder was empty and unnamed. Yongguk hummed in answer.

"The thing is, we don't actually know his name. Or anything about him in fact."