Chapter 5

Rain On Me

I finally got back home after hours of walking and shopping with Edward. He had managed to get my mind off of everything but I felt all the emotions and anxiety from earlier come back to me as soon as I saw my home. I took a deep shaky breath before walking into the house. I bowed to the staff I passed, sprinting to my bedroom. It was the fastest I probably have moved. I got to the safety of my room, putting my shopping bags in my closet. I went to my bathroom, showering and changing into my pajamas. I put the outfit back into it’s bag, placing it in my closet as well. I thought I had been in the clear and was getting ready to go to bed when there was a knock on my door.

“Young master Eunjung, your parents wish to see you in the study.” My head dropped before calling out to let the maid know that I heard her and would be there soon.

I hurried to the study, not wanting to keep them waiting and hoping that they weren’t too angry. But, that was probably wishful thinking for me.

“Mother, father, you wanted to see me?” I timidly asked after giving the okay to enter. I saw my father sitting at his desk while my mother stood next to him, arms crossed over her chest. They’re expressions matching, both stern.

“That was quite a show you put on at the restaurant.” My father took a sip of whiskey from his glass. I stood in front of the desk, hands folded in front of me, head down.

“I didn’t know it was possible.” My mother sneered.

“I apologize. My behavior had been un-called for.” I whispered.

“At least you’re not as stupid as you look.” Did my mother not hear what I had accomplished during high school?

“Eunjung, you’re lucky that the Yoons are still planning to go through with this marriage, or you would’ve been in much bigger trouble.” My father took another sip of whiskey. My mother had a glass of whiskey of her own which she had taken a sip from as well.

“Aera.” My parents always called each other by name, never pet names. And it seemed like my father didn’t need to say more since my mother began walking towards me. I froze in place, watching in horror as my mother grabbed my roughly by the arm.

I cried out as I felt a sharp pain across my legs, causing me to fall. My mother never lost her grip on my arm during the beating.

“Do you see what happens when you speak against and embarrass us like you did?” My father asked once my mom finished. She had moved back to her spot next to his chair, holding her glass of whiskey.

I sniffled, nodding my head, not looking up. I was having difficulty standing up but I didn’t want to sit or hold myself up somewhere from fear of what my parents might do.

“Mrs. Yoon came up with a good idea. You and San won’t get married immediately. You’re going to be able to finish high school but this Monday, you’re going to move into the house Mr. Yoon found. You and San will live together until you finish high school then, you two will marry. It will give you two time to get to know each other.” My father informed me but I wasn’t paying attention.

“How generous everyone is being just for you, you ungrateful child.” My mother threw her whiskey at me. I flinched at the feeling of the ice hitting me and the smell that came from the liquid.

“Go, you just need to pack your clothes and personal…whatever. Furniture will be provided.” I bowed to my parents, walking out the room.

Once the door was closed behind me was when my legs finally gave out from the pain. I tried holding back my sobs, feeling my chest ache. I pulled myself up with the wall, using it to help me stay standing as I walked to my room. My legs and waist stung, my arm aching from where my mother grabbed me. I looked at my arm and that there was a hand shaped bruise. I could also see where my mother’s nails had dug into my arm, the marks bleeding a little. The sight of the blood made me nauseous and dizzy, regardless of the small amount. It was always hard during my time of the month because of that.

“Yah, get up. You’ll be in more trouble.” I found myself looking up at Moonkyu oppa. When did I get on the floor? I felt so disoriented, I couldn’t even find the will to stand up.

“Aish,” Moonkyu oppa mumbled something I didn’t really hear before picking me up. I bit down on my lip to hold back a cry as Moonkyu oppa lifted me up bridal style.

Moonkyu oppa took me to my room, setting me down on my bed. On his way to my room, he told a passing maid to bring the first aid kit to my room. He held his hand to the side of my face, obscuring my view from my arm.

“Have a maid help you with a bath to settle the pain.” Moonkyu oppa said, looking at his phone, his other hand still keeping me from looking at my arm.

Once a maid showed up, with another in tow, one holding the first aid.

“Give her a bath first. It was mainly her waist and legs and there’s cuts on her arms. Take care of it.” Moonkyu oppa then left, the maids bowing to him.

“Thank you, oppa.” He kept on walking and the maids were helping me to my bathroom. I hadn’t even noticed my backpack on my bed until the maids were done taking care of me.

By Monday, my closet and other personal things were packed away. I wouldn’t see them until after I finished at the Daycare center. I had met my personal driver from the new home and had told him where and what time I was to be picked up. He was a nice man and gave me a grandfather/fatherly feel.

I took the bus again to school, seeing as it would be my last time. My parents had fired the personal driver once Moonkyu oppa got his driver’s license and car so since my first year of high school, I’ve been riding the bus.

“Eunjung, are you okay?” I smiled at my classmate, nodding my head. I hadn’t been moving as much. I didn’t even go to see Edward during lunch but I texted him letting him know I would see him after school. The pain in my waist and legs wasn’t as bad as it was Friday but it doesn’t mean it didn’t hurt still. I have been keeping my movement minimal and had a bottle of painkillers in my bag.

“I don’t know, you seem a bit sad.” My classmate noted.

“Thank you for your concern, Kangjun, but I’m really fine.” I assured him.

“Okay Eunjung, if you say so.” He shrugged his shoulders before going back to his friends.

I was happy to be able to walk through the Daycare center doors. I had also been happy to go to school. I thought I wouldn’t be able to graduate, but now, I can continue what makes me happy. The only thing that was bringing me down was that I had to go and live in some new home with a guy I’ve never met. I feared that he would prevent me from going to school since my parents made it clear this morning that my education and how far it could go, would be his decision.

“Eunjung noona!” “Eonni!” I smiled, bending down slightly to hug the kids who ran to greet her.

“Let’s be careful with Eunjung everyone!” I looked up and saw Edward coming over as well, holding a child in his arms.

I laughed, giving the group of kids one last hug before standing up, ruffling some of their hair.

“Has everyone been behaving and listening?” I got a chorus of ‘yes!’ from the group.

“Who’s ready for a snack?” Edward excitedly asked. All the kids jumped excitedly, repeating ‘me!’. It reminded me of the seagulls from Finding Nemo.

Once the children were herded away by another worker and Edward had put the kid down he had been holding to join them, he gave me a gentle hug.

I saw you limping. What happened?” I smiled sadly, shaking my head.

Nothing Edward, I’m fine.” I assured him. He scoffed, shaking his head.

Please. I was born at night, but not last night. Did your parents beat over what had happened.” I didn’t meet his eyes and I guess that answered his question.

Eunjung” He sighed, hugging me again but more tighter. “I don’t want you going back there. You’re ‘family’ is doing nothing but hurting you.”

Edward, it’s fine, really. I’m moving out today anyways.” I said the last part quietly.

What? Where?

With my fiancé.” I spat out the word ‘fiancé’ as if it was poison and in a sense, it kind of was. It could poison my dreams, my schooling.

“You’re moving away from your family, to live with some guy you don’t even know? And how do you know he’s any better? What if he’s worse than your parents? I don’t like this, Eunjung.

I know, Edward. But what can I do? Nothing. I just, have to deal with it, I guess.” I felt so defeated.

Edward sighed again, pulling me for another hug.

You’re not going to work with the kids today. You’re going to take it easy, okay?” I shrugged my shoulders. Edward was stubborn and wasn’t going to take no for an answer if it had to do with my well being.

So I guess no café after this?” I meekly shook my head, sad about not being able to enjoy some time with my friend.

No, I’m sorry.” Edward smoothed down my hair.

It’s fine. But I’m going to keep my phone on all night. Call me as soon as something happens. I want you to text me when you get home, when you eat, and when you go to sleep.” I laughed at his demands, but agreeing anyways.

Okay Edward, whatever you say.” 


A/N The classmate Kangjun, I was picturing Kangjun from C Clown. He's not really important but I wanted a name for at least one classmate instead of just saying 'classmate' all the time. I might use names of other kpop idols but like, ones who left their groups or groups that disbanded. Besides HotShot, I don't think no other groups will make an appearance. Probably just have a song or something mentioned but they'll stay idols.