Chapter 43

Rain On Me

Author’s Point of View

 

Angie tried to look around all the people for Rani, cursing herself for not moving closer to the doors that passengers usually come through when she had the chance. She’s definitely also not going to tell Rani that she stopped at Starbucks on her way over to the airport and had woken up way past her alarm either. Nope not going to tell her. When Angie saw Rani, she pushed past the other people to go and greet her. They hadn’t seen each other in over a month and that was a lot for the two girls who were used to seeing each other everyday.

“Eonni! I’ve missed you!” Angie fake sobbed, wrapping her arms around Rani. Rani tried to push Angie off but wrapped only one arm around the small girl after a while.

Well if you had Skyped me…” Rani muttered once Angie let go. They must’ve been a sight for everyone else. Angie was 5’0” exactly and Rani was 5’8”, making her practically a head taller than Angie.

Let’s go, it’s getting crowded in here and I hate it. I just want to get home.” Rani grumbled, pulling Angie away from the crowd since she could easily maneuver around everyone. Rani got her bags, with the help of Angie and the two were out the airport and to Angie’s car.

So, tell me everything. How was Korea? How was the wedding? What did you and Junhyuk do? Did he take you to nice places? Did you bring me back something?” Angie fired question after question, not giving Rani any chance to speak.

Oh my God woman, let me ing speak!” Angie pouted at Rani but shut anyways, waiting for Rani to answer her questions.

Okay, Korea was beautiful. We seriously need to go together one day. For sure, next summer, we’re going. The wedding was so ing cute and so pretty! You should have seen Eunjung’s dress, it was so gorgeous. Her and looked so happy even though literally Eunjung got told at the begininning of the week that she wasn’t going to college.” Rani put her arms out as she lurched forward after Angie slammed on the breaks.

ing Angie, are you trying to kill us?! I called you about this!

What? Oh, no, I didn’t slam the breaks out of surprise, I slammed them because this pinche pendejo ing cut right in front me then just ing stopped! Hijo de la chingada, watch where you’re ing going you piece of ! Chinga tu madre!” Angie continued to blare her horn as she screamed at the car in front of her. She drove around the car, making sure to have her window lowered and flipping the car off as she continued to curse at the driver in both English and Spanish.

Dear God how did you survive without me for so long.” Rani muttered as she let Angie continue to curse the driver who’ve they long since passed.

So Yoonsan and Eunjung looked happy, then?” Rani cocked an eyebrow at Angie’s 180 but decided not to comment.

Uh, yeah, they looked really happy. Eunjung was throwing up too but I haven’t heard much about that though so I’m not sure if she’s really pregnant or not.” Rani shrugged her shoulders.

Probably was just nerves or something.

Could be.

So what about you and Junhyuk?” Angie glanced over at Rani before looking back at the road.

When Junhyuk and I weren’t with everyone else, he was either taking me sight seeing or we were just relaxing at his place. And when I say relaxing, I mean” Rani smirked and nudged Angie’s arm but only when they were at a red light. Angie jolted easily and Rani didn’t want her swerving.

You guys did the dirty-dirty?” Angie’s eyes widened as she dropped her voice to a whisper. You would think Rani just told Angie she robbed a bank.

Yes, Angie, two grown adults had , many times.” Rani laughed at the blushing Angie. “You’re such a baby.”

Okay, you and Junhyuk had , then what? Where did he take you? Did he introduce you to his family? Are things hella serious?

His parents were out of town so I didn’t have a chance to meet them…formally. They skyped him while I was there and we met through that.” Rani smiled at the memory. She had been making them dinner so Junhyuk’s parents saw her in a very housewife type element. That gave her extra points with them. They loved her though, and asked when the wedding was going to be, causing a flustered Junhyuk.

Sure, rub it in that I’m single and will die single.” Angie muttered just as she backed into their garage.

You know, he has single friends.” Rani laughed as she got her suitcase from the trunk of the car.

And you haven’t given me numbers or names?!” Angie exclaimed as she opened the door that lead to the kitchen, dropping the car keys into the bowl on the counter. “Hook it up, like damn!

Don’t worry, Junhyuk and I have someone in mind. We just need to set up a meeting.” Rani patted the top of Angie’s head as she walked past her.

You better.” Angie grumbled as she walked to the fridge in search of food.

I’m going to go and unpack. If you wait long enough, I’ll cook dinner.

Spaghetti and meatballs?” Angie perked up. Rani sighed and rolled her eyes.

You’re such a ing princess.” Rani muttered before assuring Angie that spaghetti and meatballs will be made for dinner.

Woo! Thanks, eonni!” Angie cheered as she ran to her room.

Rani was in her room, working on unpacking her suitcase when her phone rang. She recognized the ringtone as the Kakao ringtone so she knew it wasn’t anyone from the states.

“Hey Junhyuk. What’s up?” Rani put the phone on speaker so she could use both hands to unpack.

“Hello my love. How was your flight?”

“It was fine. Are you okay, baby? You sound like you’ve been crying.”

“Oh, I’m fine. I just…it’s…” Rani heard Junhyuk sigh. “I miss you, a lot. You should move out here.” Junhyuk laughed. Rani smiled a small smile.

“I’m working on it.” Rani and Junhyuk continued to talk as Rani unpacked.

“Alright, my love, I’ll let you go. I’m sure Angie wants you two to do something. I love you.”

“I love you too. Oh, and speaking of Angie, we need to set her and Taehyun up soon.” Junhyuk laughed, agreeing. They hung up and Angie was immediately bugging Rani for food.

A few days later and Angie and Rani were walking into work.

Ugh, I need a vacation.” Angie grumbled as her and Rani walked to their neighboring desks.

If you had just saved your days, you could’ve come with me.” Rani sang, placing her bag on top of her desk.

Not my fault I was in and out of a hospital for a whole month.” Angie sighed, sitting down at her desk.

Don’t get too comfy, we have that meeting with boss in a couple minutes.” Rani reminded.

Soon, Angie and Rani were heading to the elevator to go to the floor their boss’ office was on. Rani was holding a laptop under her arm.

So, before we get there, I should probably tell you that I think I’ve found the girl that we’ve been looking for.” Rani looked down at Angie who was looking at the stories from her friends on Snapchat.

Do you have any proof?” Angie asked, not even looking away from her phone.

No, I have a gut feeling.” Angie looked up only to an eyebrow before looking back at her phone.

We’re cops, we don’t go off gut feelings.

They do in the movies! You’re obsessed with Chicago PD and they do that all the time!” That got Angie away from her phone.

Don’t bring my show into this. We agreed NOT to bring my show into this!” Angie exclaimed as they stepped off the elevator. They continued to argue as they walked to their boss’ office. They stopped arguing though as soon as they got to their boss’ door.

Okay, let me do the talking when we get there. I know what I’m doing.” Rani whispered to Angie before the short girl opened the door.

You better because our friend’s future rides on this meeting.” Angie whispered back.

Trust me, we got this.

The two walked into the office, nodding their heads at their boss.

Lopez gave me an idea more or less of what this meeting was about but I’m still a little confused. I agreed though since you two are some of my best.” Their boss explained.

Well, sir, thank you, first of all for your time. Second, I have a strong feeling that I’ve found the girl you assigned us to look for.” Angie glanced up at Rani, eyes wide. Where was she going with this?

A strong feeling? What about proof?” Their boss questioned.

Sir, I have photos of girl and they match with the age progession photos.” Rani opened her laptop and showing the photos to their boss who leaned forward in his chair to get a better look at the photos.

What does this have to do with the meeting?” Their boss wondered after silently looking at the pictures.

That girl is the sole reason that a very good friend of ours can’t go to college and it’s all she’s been working for her whole life. She’s basically been blacklisted by every college.” Rani explained.

Sir, we know this isn’t something you usually do but, our friend’s life is practically ruined because of this girl. Also, if our friend were to move out here, the girl might follow and we have a better chance of catching her.” Rani added on. Angie stood silently next to her, working on her puppy eyes.

Their boss looked at Rani then over at Angie but only to look back at Rani because Angie’s puppy eyes were the reason he allowed her to do field work with Rani and that’s nearly bitten him in the a couple times. He sighed, closing the laptop and pushing it back to Rani.

I’ll make some calls and then let you know.” Their boss said, not missing the wide grins that Angie and Rani gave him.

Thank you so much, sir! You have no idea how happy you’ve made us and will make our friend.” Angie was practically buzzing.

I think I can tell. And you’re sure that if your friend comes out here, Bridgette will follow?” Rani nodded her head.

Yes sir.” Their boss gave the girls a small smile.

You two have been the only ones to have actively followed this case on top of your other work. Thank you for that.” Rani and Angie smiled at their boss as they walked out the office.

Thank you sir, we won’t let you-“ Angie cut herself off as she slammed into the opening door, causing shouts of surprise from Rani, their boss, and the worker on the other side.

Don’t worry, I’m fine. It’s all Gucci.” Angie assured them with a smile, ignoring the fact that her glasses had broken…again.

I have tape in my desk.” Rani sighed as she pushed Angie out of the office.

Is it normal to see double?” Their boss shook their head.

How did I even think she was okay to handle a gun?” 


A/N A bit of comedic relief but it'll be sad again next chapter.