Chapter 44

Rain On Me

 Somewhat of a double update. Read chapter 43 if you haven't.


“Eunjung, you going to get up today?” I sniffled and shook my head, not looking at Yoonsan who sat next to me on the bed. I heard him sigh before I felt his head rest on mine.

“Alright, jagiya. I won’t rush you. Just know that I love you and I’m always here for you.” I felt him kiss the top of my head before getting off the bed.

“I’ll see you when I get back from work.” And with that, I was left alone in the darkened master bedroom. I to my back, pushing the hair out of my face that stuck to my cheeks because of my tears. I don’t even know how many days I’ve been in here but it’s been a while. I’m not even sure if I’ve actually eaten but I don’t feel hungry. The only thing I’ve known for sure is that I don’t smell because I showered.

After Junhyuk oppa had dropped me off at home, I hurried into the bedroom, wanting to be alone so I could process everything but when I looked down, I saw that I had some drawings and papers with me. I had looked through all them and then I just out. Yoonsan had explained to me later that he heard me scream and when he came to see what was wrong, I was clutching the drawings to me as I wailed on the floor. He had to carry me to the bed after I had finished crying because I had no strength to move. When I ‘came to’ it had been late, like, really late, and Yoonsan was getting ready for bed. His eyes had looked red like he’d been crying and when he saw me ‘awake’ he sat down next to me and pulled me close in a tight hug.

“Jagi, I’m sorry. I had no idead.” He whispered. “Timo hyung called and told me everything. Eunjung, it wasn’t your fault. Don’t let what your mom said get to you, okay.” It was easier said than done.

“I don’t know. I just need to process everything right now.” And that’s what got me into this state of not leaving the bedroom and not eating.

“Miss Eunjung, are you going to eat? It’s already noon. San called and wanted to make sure that I got you to eat. It’s been a whole week and you’ve only eaten two bites this entire week.” Sooyoung eonni stood by my bed with a tray of soup.

“I’m not hungry.” I felt tears come to my eyes again.

“You need to eat, Miss Eunjung.” Sooyoung eonni persisted.

“I don’t want to eat! Why don’t you get that?! Just go back to your kitchen or something! You’re nothing but an employee!” I snapped out, but just as the words left my mouth, I wished I could bring them back.

“You’re right, I’m just an employee. When you say you don’t want something, I should just listen. My apologies, Miss Eunjung.” And with that, Sooyoung eonni was leaving before I could even apologize.

“I’m so sorry.” I sobbed into my hands. What was wrong with me?

 

Yoonsan’s Point of View

 

I sat at my desk, ignoring the phone that was ringing for the fifth time today. It was my dad, I already knew that, but I wasn’t feeling like dealing with him right now. I didn’t even want to come to work this whole week. I just wanted to stay home and care for Eunjung. This month has just been hard on her. First, she can’t go to college, now, she remembers a sister she used to have who died trying to save her. Knowing Eunjung, she would be blaming herself entirely for that and that could cause her a lot of trouble. It’s one thing to blame herself for me getting hit, but to blame herself for someone’s death? The guilt will eat her alive. It’s already eating her alive and I’m worried.

“Yoonsan, your mom is here. She wants to see you.” I looked up at Nayoung noona. When did she come in?

“Uh, okay, I guess.” I sighed. I didn’t feel like dealing with my mom either but if she came all the way over here, I might as well just humour her.

“Hey, so, Sooyoung texted me. Eunjung isn’t eating. Is everything okay?” Noona asked once she gave the secretary the okay to send my mother over.

“Yeah, Eunjung’s just dealing with some stuff.” I knew that if I specifically told her what was going on, I’d probably end up crying.

“Alright but if you two need anything, just let me know, okay.” I nodded just as my mom came in. She greeted Nayoung noona who left after greeting my mom.

“Hi mom.”

“Hello my son! How have you been? How’s Eunjung?” I got up to greet my mom but only got pulled into a tight hug.

“We’ve been…okay.” She pulled away immediately but still held me at arms length.

“Okay? Just okay? What’s wrong?” She led me back to my chair and then sat down in a chair across from my desk.

“Mom, I really don’t want to talk about it.” I put emphasis on ‘really’.

“Nonsense, I’m your mom. Tell me everything and I will gladly show you how it’s your fault.” My mom grinned. I rolled my eyes.

“Mom, it’s not like that. We just, it’s complicated.” My mother sighed and shook her head.

“Sounds like it’s your fault. Well, whatever it is, just apologize and say she’s right. Buy her something and you’re fine.” My mother smiled.

“No mom, it’s really not what you think. Eunjung has basically fallen into a depression and I don’t know what to do.” I dropped my head onto my arms that were folded on my desk.

“What? A depression? Was it because of not being able to go college?” I could hear the worried tone in her voice.

“No, not because of that. She got her memories back and she remembered that she had an older sister and her sister got killed trying to save her and she hasn’t left our bedroom for over a week. She’s always crying and doesn’t want to talk about it and hasn’t eaten anything. The only reason I even know anything about her sister is because Timo hyung called me drunk and explained everything. He also talked to their mother and she told him that she blamed Eunjung and how Eunjung was at fault and all these other things that I had to hang up so I could cry. Eunjung hasn’t told me anything and has hardly talked and I’m just worried and I don’t know what to do, mommy.” Okay…don’t judge me…

“Oh, my poor baby. Don’t cry, mommy’s here. I know I haven’t been the best, but I’m here for you and Eunjung. I am putting my foot down and whatever you need me to do, I will do it.” My mom came around my desk and pulled me into her arms, wiping away my tears.

“Sweetie, it’s okay to not know what to do. You’ve never really been in an actual relationship and this may be difficult for you to handle but it’s good that you’re worried. Sometimes, all someone needs is to know that they’re not alone. That they have people supporting them. If you want, I can get her an appointment with a therapist.” My mom offered.

“No, Eunjung wouldn’t really feel comfortable talking to a stranger.” I knew Eunjung, she really wouldn’t. Then an idea struck me. “Mom, do you think, maybe, if you could stop by and try talking to her.” My mom quickly retracted from me.

“Oh no, no, no, no, no. I can’t do that.” I stood up, confused by this.

“Why not? You said so yourself that sometimes all someone needs is to know that they’re not alone. Maybe if she saw that she had a mother supporting her, she wouldn’t blame herself so much.”

“No, San, really. I mean, I haven’t talked much to her and I’m not that good with these things and what if I say the wrong thing and make her feel even worse.” I couldn’t help but smile at my mom’s worries.

“Mom, you’ll probably do better than me since you’re a mom. I know you’ve done some questionable things but your heart is in the right place. It’s more right than Eunjung’s mother at least.” I muttered the last part.

“You think she’d be fine with me going over and talk to her?” I nodded my head.

“Yes mom, you’re probably what she needs right now.”

 

Eunjung’s Point of View

 

“I can’t do anything right. Why am I even here? Why did I live and Hyeonsu have to die? She probably wouldn’t be as big of a mess up as I would.” I didn’t even bother with the tears that fell. That’s all I’ve been doing this week is crying.

“I’ve let Yoonsan down because I’m a crappy wife and I hurt Sooyoung eonni’s feelings and I killed my sister.” I began to sob again, curling myself into a small ball.

“Eunjung? Eunjungie? It’s me.” Mina? What is she doing here?

“Oh, Mina, come in.” I sat up and tried to get my tears to stop but they wouldn’t.

“This is a surprise. What are you doing here?” I wondered, hoping the minimal light in this room would mask my tears.

“Hi sweetie. San told me everything.” I began to feel my chin quiver as a new batch of tears began.

“Oh, Eunjung, it’s okay.” She was rushing to my side instantly and pulling me into a hug as she sat next to me on the bed. “Let it all out, it’s okay.” She rubbed my back as I sobbed.

“That’s all I’ve been doing this whole week. I’ve just been crying and lying in bed. I’m a loser and a that hurt Sooyoung eonni’s feelings and I have no reason to be alive. My whole family hates me and I’m a failure.” I sobbed.

“Kim Eunjung, I never want to hear you repeat those words, ever.” I jolted at her stern tone.

“Now, I know how this must’ve been difficult for you. You lost your sister who saved you from getting killed and it must be hard for you but never call yourself a loser or a failure. You’ve been like this because you never got your time to mourn her loss. You lost your memory of her and recently just got it back. It’s hard for you to adjust, but that’s okay. And your whole family doesn’t hate you. I’ve seen how your brother gets when your parents speak to you. He wants to protect you, I can tell. At our very first dinner, he wanted to speak up for you. If he hated you, why would he even want to do that in the first place?” Mina held me at arms length.

“You’re an amazing person. You’re beautiful and smart and funny and sweet and you make my son so happy. Every person that meets you, either falls in love with you or hates you because they know they can’t be as amazing as you. I’m not going to lie, I was one of those people at first but as I got to know you and talk to you, I fell in love with you and wanted to take care of you like you were my own daughter. You were meant to live for a reason. Don’t let Hyeonsu’s death be in vain.” I began to sob again as Mina pulled me into another hug. As I cried this time though, I felt preassure leave my body. Mina rocked me from side to side as I cried, rubbing my back as I cried.

By the time I finally finished crying, I felt freer. It felt like I wasn’t going to be crying anytime soon either.

“Thank you, Mina, really.” I wiped at my eyes, getting the tears that had lingered away.

“It’s fine. It’s what mom’s are for. And as for Sooyoung, I’m sure she’ll forgive you when you apologize. She really does care about you.” She assured me. I sniffled and nodded my head.

“Now, you ready to leave the room and get some food. I’m sure you’re starving.” I smiled a small smile and nodded my head. Mina took my hand and guided me out of the room and down to the kitchen.

When we got to the kitchen, Sooyoung eonni was working on dinner and Yoonsan was just coming in from work.

“Eonni, uh…” Sooyoung eonni turned to look at me and smiled.

“Oh, Miss Eunjung, you’ve come down. Is there anything I can do for you?”

“Uh, I just wanted to apologize for what I said. I didn’t mean it. I really am sorry, eonni.”

Sooyoung eonni came over and pulled me into a tight hug. “It’s alright, Miss Eunjung. I understand. I forgive you.” She kissed the top of my head before letting me go.

“So, what are you hungry for?” I smiled a sheepish smile.

“Anything that you’re making is fine, eonni.” Yoonsan came over at that time and kissed me on the cheek.

“I’m happy to see you up.” He quietly said. I smiled a small smile at him.

“Oh, also, you got something in the mail.” Yoonsan got the stack of mail and pulled out the envelope and handed it to me. I opened the envelope with my nail, not seeing who it was from and pulled out the paper. Everything had been written in English.

Eunjung Kim,

We’re proud to inform you that you have been accepted into Georgetown University…


A/N HIIIII!!!! Also, in the last chapter, the Spanish that "I" spoke...is not nice...don't say it around any full blooded Spanish speakers...haha...no-no...no-no. Anyways, LOVE YOU ALL!