Recalling The Prophecy

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The general could not believe his eyes. It was as if the prophecy was unfolding before him.

Choi Seunghyun, he was only four or five when he learned about his real identity. His mother, a noble woman, and his father, the former general, revealed it to him when he pestered them with questions on why he was stronger by ten times than his normal playmates. He was told that he was also an imoogi— a water, lesser, dragon. Their roots were to be traced in the older dynasties of the North, somewhere in Tang, and that as they shape shifted, they evolved more into humans than dragons, with the abilities to control their power. He learned that their ancestors built Silla, and that their ancestors rose to the heavens when their human form died. That's when they become immortals.

But as years went by, the struggle for power ruined them. They wronged each other, even killed each other, even harmed the humans, making the heavens curse them, thus, some enlightened humans calling them 'cursed dragons'. Instead of being great dragons after their human lifetime passes, one has to wait for a thousand years in order to ascend and become one.

Then, a prophecy broke the moment King Munmu became the King.

It was said that the prophecy was written down on a scroll but a fire broke out in the palace almost thirty years ago. The original scroll contained more, sadly, half of it got burned. The only remaining visible words were: "The highest shall become the lowest of all the lows, the lowest shall ascend to the sky as the highest. The Gods in the Heavens are just. No malevolence shall not be paid, no benevolence shall not be rewarded."

When it was revealed to the kins, their family included, everyone had a haunch who might be the one being pertained to in the scroll. King Munmu grew weary and made sure to shut all of their mouths afraid that his sons might suffer the consequences of knowing the prophecy but no secret can be kept forever. It was Hyuk who grew very curious and as he learned about it, he began to torture his brother Young in different ways. The King was helpless. 

He was not very vocal about favoring Young. In fact, oftentimes he would avoid and set his younger son aside just in case Hyuk became envious. Unfortunately, despite the King's efforts, Hyuk became overwhelmed with greed. 

And now, before the general's eyes, the ferocious beast that was roaring and soaring up in the air was no other than the second prince who was calm, youthful, and gentle. Wingless, his flight was quite lower than a normal dragon yet his eyes and long scaly flesh could tell he's an imoogi. He hovered above everyone and spat flames of destruction. He was uncontrollable, and that was understandable for he was way ahead of his time to learn transformation and shape shifting.

Even the general himself couldn't transform easily at his current age!

Because the people of Silla were fully aware of their Kingdom's secrets, the soldiers' hearts was filled with veneration for the prince instead of fear. The sight boosted up their confidence and if only they weren't in the battlefield, they've already had knelt before the creature in front of them as if it was their God.

To them, it was hope.

But to the general, it was a catastrophe.

For Young to show such power when his older brother, himself, couldn't even take the form of a viper what more an imoogi, that would mean a huge disaster. The new King's envy knew no bounds and though they might take the victory today, the general was afraid it would add more fuel to the fire.

His mind was blank for a moment until he hea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter