A Brewing Storm

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Just because she didn't look like it, didn't mean she wasn't curious. In fact, Sandara had always wanted to meet people with the same abilities like hers. She even thought of meeting shamans before. Her ability to read minds and see the future seemed to be a taboo for a noble married woman like her. How could she just keep on touching people to hear their thoughts and penetrate into their minds?

At the moment, she just wanted to see how other people do it. How come the commoners could use it to earn a living while she had to keep her it all to herself? She barely could even put it to good use except for her little mischiefs and accidental encounters.

As she walked into the bunch of people, she was tiptoeing and stretching out her neck to get a better view when she suddenly noticed a high establishment behind the shack in front of her. She wasn't sure if it was instinct or what, but when she switched her gaze tothe balcony of the top floor, a familiar man stood there with a lady in tow but it was too far for her to see their faces. Still she couldn't help but think the man was way too familiar. Was that Kwon Jiyong? She asked herself, for Kwon Jiyong's presence was undeniable. But when the two figures disappeared, she shrugged off her thoughts and realized that that seemed too impossible.

Since when did Kwon Jiyong enjoy going out? And with a woman? How preposterous!

She was already in the middle of the crowd when she saw Hong coming her way. She didn't drive him off, instead, she felt at ease that he followed her, but as she kept bumping and touching other people, she kind of regretted her decision.

How could she even manage to squeeze herself into this mob of people when her head was already starting to ache after hearing all these people's thoughts? Her ears were already buzzing, as if an alarm to tell her to get out of there but going back was also difficult. In the end, she was pushed into the crowd even more until she bumped into a man in front who was sharing his testimony to the onlookers.

"Thank you so much for helping me find my son's dead body! After we gave him a proper burial, at least he'll finally be in peace!"

Everyone roared, seemingly convinced by the man, but Sandara had long figured out what's inside his head. She tried to keep it within her though, not really wanting to interfere with matters that doesn't concern her, until she saw the people throwing all their monies just to get the chance to meet the seer. Just what kind of horrible person rips his fellow commoners just to earn money? Ah, surely, this so called clairvoyant and his witnesses are scammers!

"You foolish people! They are only tricking you! They are swindling your money!" Sandara shouted earning everyone's attention while Hong who was still a few arms away, wanted to cry upon hearing their lady's words. Why can't this Park Sandara just stay still? Why was he assigned to her of all people? Grieving at his own misfortune, he pushed everyone on his way aside, and he immediately rushed to get near Sandara, but a man in straw hat suddenly blocked his way.

"Out of the way!" Hong tried to walk past the man but he was already using so much force yet the man still looked unbothered. "Yah!!!"

"This man is their accomplice! There was no way his son died because he has no family to begin with. He was lying to gain sympathy so that you would pay a fortune to meet the fake seer!" Sandara continued with a loud voice.

"How did you know, young lady?" An old man asked followed by a thug-looking guy. "Right. How can you prove your claim?"

Sandara took a step back when the people started questioning her. What is this? She asked herself. She was only trying to save them from these frauds! But then again, it could be dangerous when everyone was already trapped by blind faith.

"Mama!" Hong was trying to reach out to Sandara but the man in straw hat suddenly grabbed Sandara away from the crowd in such a movement so swift, everyone had to blink their eyes twice. Meanwhile, Sandara almost stumbled and fell if not for the man suddenly hauling her up on his shoulders. Sandara couldn't understand, but she felt dread and unexplainable anxiety that she almost puked her guts. Is this man helping her? Or was she being kidnapped?

"Let me go!" Sandara finally was able to utter something. The man immediately stopped on his tracks and carefully lowered her, and despite her fear, Sandara realized the man probably just saved her. She carefully fixed the jang-ot coat over her head and covered her face once more before taking a few steps away from the man whose face was hidden under the shadows of his straw hat. "T-t-hank you for helping me. But... You shouldn't really go around touching women just like that. Do you understand?" Sandara both thanked and reprimanded, but was left speechless when the man only turned around and left in the same speed he did earlier. 

In no time, she heard Hong coming. "Mama! Are you alright? Where is that bastard???"

"It's alright. I wasn't hurt—" Sandara hasn't finished yet when Hong saw a group of thugs heading their way.

"Mama, this way!" Hong grabbed her by her arm and she could only follow the young guard and run for her life, holding the coat which fortunately was still covering her face while her feet sprinted nonstop even if no one was already following them. When they reached where the street forked, Hong finally let her go and fell on his knees.

"Forgive me for touching you, Mama..." He panted as he bowed before her. "Please punish me now!"

Sandara took a lungful of air until her back and chest hurt. She waved her hand as if asking Hong to give her a moment and when she was finally able to calm down, she started laughing, scaring Hong out of his wits even more.

"Were you that scared of His Highness? You'd rather get your punishment from me than him?"

"Mama..."

"Who said I'm going to tell this thing to His Highness? I'm not the type to put others to blame when it was me who was at fault. Arise. More than anyone, I am sure you did that to drag me out of that mess." Sandara raised her sleeve to inspect her arm only to find some red marks from Hong's tight grip. "Oh... It doesn't look bad either. No bruises, see?"

But Hong was already crying without tears. What if His Highness sees those marks? Would those red marks be gone when they reach the palace? One way or another, he knew he was doomed.

And doomsday arrived to him a little too early than he expected. As Hong rose to his feet, a certain figure loomed over him and cast a dark shadow of death at him. He didn't want to look up but an invisible force made him lift his head and meet a pair of cold-blooded eyes that made him fall back to his knees once more.

Sandara who was facing Hong was oblivious to this but it wasn't long until she realized what exactly was going on. She felt a spine-chilling coldness behind her and when she turned around, she gasped at the displeased look on Kwon Jiyong's eyes.

Well he wasn't just displeased. He was very angry!

Of all places, why did she have to meet him here when it was so hard to see him even inside the palace???

"What are you doing here???" His voice boomed and filled the entire small street, and thankfully, i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter