The Terror At The Capital

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Deep in the night, loud feral wails were heard deep in the cave in Mount Bukhan, the extreme Northern boundary of the capital. Not too long, a pack of monstrous humanoids emerged from the open iron pit in the cave and rushed out, scattering in all directions. Soon the shrieks of the villagers nearby filled the entire night. The once peaceful place was filled with horror.

"Your Highness…" Moo Yeon's voice was filled with hesitation for the first time. Things were different now that their lady is residing with his lord. It would take more than an hour before sunrise so it was still dark. What if their lady gets disturbed in her sleep? Thankfully, Kwon Jiyong heard him loud and clear, and sensing there was an emergency, he hesitantly, but in the end carefully moved away from her wife's sleeping form and tucked her in bed.

"What is it?" Kwon Jiyong asked as soon as he opened the door.

"There was an attack at the village near Mount Bukhan, Your Highness. Dong Youngbae nauri sent in this message." Moo Yeon handed it to Kwon Jiyong and his face turned dark at the detailed report.

His men had been very careful all along to clear each area of imoogans. How come they reached the capital's borders easily?

Unless… They have been inside the capital all along!

When he reached the village of Dobong which is just at the foot of Bukhansan, Dong Youngbae who went there ahead of him met him immediately.

"Fortunately, no one died." Dong Youngbae reported. "However, six young women ages 14-18 were missing. All of them said the same thing. They're description pertains to imoogans."

"How long had it been since the attack happened?"

"About four hours." Dong Youngbae answered. "Young-ah, we've been keeping an eye on different provinces but we failed to secure the capital. Hyuk is already making a move. I suspect he is also the one creating chaos in different regions even before."

Kwon Jiyong closed his eyes and balled his fists. The secret they had been keeping from the public will soon be the talk of the town. What could pacify the hearts of the families who lost their daughters? What could relieve these villagers from their fears of being attacked again? If this goes on, Kwon Jiyong knew he would lose all his men fighting these packs of imoogans.

"Elder Dong, I need the council's support." Kwon Jiyong said. "If Hyuk uses imoogans then what chance do my men have?"

Previously, one man died while over a dozen were left wounded just by catching just one imoogan. How much more if Hyuk is controlling them… Or worse, breeding them?" Kwon Jiyong knew his brother's evilness had no bounds. If he was only after young women, then he's trying to breed more imoogans to instill fear among people and create chaos in the kingdom which could shake the foundation of the entire Joseon!

By noon, Dong Youngbae sent a message to his fellow elders at the Dragon Realm to inform them of the current events. Kwon Jiyong went to see Yi Sung who was having a serious talk with Minister Kim.

"Did I interrupt you?" Kwon Jiyong asked Yi Sung when the old minister left.

"No, uncle. That was just a personal talk. He's worried for the queen's health as well."

Kwon Jiyong nodded. Somehow, rumors of the queen having poor health started to spread in the capital but he has no intention to tell this to Yi Sung and make his anxiety worse. He was also reminded by Ryung who knows a lot of things when it comes to medicine. On how he would approach the little fellow about this, he was not sure. 

He shrugged at the thought and went straight to informing Yi Sung about what happened at Dobong village, only to learn that someone already informed the King.

"Uncle, I'm afraid we cannot hide this anymore. It's not your lone fight. You have been protecting us for so long."

"But people will be scared and the court might have divided opinions."

Yi Sung subtly smiled. "Uncle, when did those old hags ever unite? They were always arguing in front of me until my ears bled. I will meet with the Minister of Military Affairs to create a special army to help you and your men. As for the Investigation Bureau, they will surely probe deeper into this so it's best it comes from me. I will find a way to stop the civilians from spreading stories about last night's encounter so as not to instill fear among people."

Yi Sung's words sounded like a plan, but Kwon Jiyong knew that even if the young King succeeds, he would still need to come up with an effective back up.

 

In the afternoon, he arrived in his estate with a terrible headache which somehow dissipated into thin air as soon as he stepped into the front yard. Sandara, who was standing at the main hall obviously waiting for him, welcomed him with a smile.

"You left early. Was there a problem?" Sandara must have noticed how heavy his heart was so she dragged him to sit at the wide seat of honor inside the main hall, before sitting beside him. "You can tell me. I'll listen,"

"A group of imoogans attacked Dobong village. Six young ladies were abducted."

Sandara gasped in shock. She had an encounter with an imoogan before and up to now she could still remember the horror. Somehow, she remembered that Kwon Jiyong told her once that imoogis and imoogans alike were attracted to female s. After these young ladies were abducted, what do these creatures do to them? She shivered at the thought that goosebumps started to appear on her skin.

Kwon Jiyong must have noticed her sudden unease so he held her hand and gave it a squeeze.

"How about the other villagers?" She asked.

"Fortunately, there were no casualties. But some were wounded."

"These people have seen imoogans. It might traumatize them. Then soon, it will be the talk of the town."

"The King will try to control the situation while I ask for reinforcements. Majority of my men were with General Choi in the North. While the remaining were spread out in the provinces still dealing with other imoogan sightings."

"How about the abducted women?" Sandara asked in concern. "What did the King say about them?"

"My men will do their best to find them, don't worry."

"Your Highness, please allow me to go out and see the villagers. Imagine the pain the parents of the abducted women feel. I would like to comfort them. I also want to bring some food and medicine to them and somehow comfort them. I'll talk to the queen and borrow some of the palace servants to go with me since we only have a few female servants."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter