The Samjinal

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After another long day traveling via carriage, they finally reached the entrance to Gyeongju by daybreak. Since the road was narrow and uphill, the women had to transfer to their respective palanquins while the men rode their horses.

When they reached a highly guarded residence that was prepared by the local government, Sandara's father was there to greet and welcome them firsthand being the province's governor, while Sandara's mother assisted the women.

Sandara was the happiest among everyone but she didn't dare approach her parents while they were on their duties, afraid to disturb them. Besides, she didn't want to attract attention so she just followed the protocols.

Everyone had the chance to wash up and prepare. The men picked their preferred bows and arrows, spears, and knives, while the women dressed up prettily and donned their hair with expensive accessories.

When Sandara showed up, this time, she was well prepared. Her new hanbok was a top robe of white over an old rose skirt which matched her simple and elegant beauty. Her pin was of gold with flowery designs that accentuated her hair that was tied to a bun. She wore her monarch jade bracelet beneath her sleeve, even if it wouldn't be visible, she liked it so it's the only accessory she often wears.

"Aigoo... My daughter is really the most beautiful woman in the whole Joseon!" Madam Park clasped her hands together as she marveled at her daughter. There wasn't really so much time to catch up with each other since there was a schedule to be followed so she wanted to see her as much as she could.

Sandara just grinned at her mother. "Eomma, all mothers say that their own daughter is the prettiest in their eyes. So isn't all daughters with mothers adoring them just so lucky? Eomma, I'm thankful you're my mother," Sandara retorted making Madam Park tear up.

"You grew up so well, Dara-ah... This mother is really so proud of you," Madam Park held her daughter's hand and sniffed but a voice behind them startled the small reunion.

"Abeoji!" Sandara sprung to her feet and hugged her father, making the latter stumble a bit.

"Abeoji!" It was Won-hee who caught Governor Park and stopped him from falling. "Are you alright?" He asked before scolding her sister a bit. "Dara-ah. Abeoji's knees weren't as strong as before. Be careful,"

"I'm sorry," Sandara pulled back but she hugged her father nonetheless.

"It's nothing... I'm fine," Governor Park said as he laughed, patting her beloved daughter's back. "How's your stay in His Excellency's house?"

Sandara pulled away and smiled widely. Governor Park gave her cheek a little squeeze.

"I'm glad that it shows on your face. You even grew heavier. It means His Excellency is taking good care of you,"

"Uhm! He fed me with good food and gave me a pretty residence, and also he sent me a lot of gifts. This hanbok too," She twirled around to show her parents. "He had this especially made for this event!"

Won-Hee's lips curved down in disapproval. If he didn't know his sister was a bad liar, he would think she was lying but he knew she was telling the truth by the wide foolish grin plastered on her face. Seems like their little girl has finally opened her heart to the aloof royal uncle, and that was like a warning alarm in his head. Kwon Jiyong isn't an easy man to deal with. He doesn't want his sister to go heartbroken.

"That is why, you have to serve His Excellency really well. Daegam is a very busy man so bear with him and always try not to be a bother to him."

"Yes abeoji. Don't worry about me. Who's daughter am I, after all?" Sandara cupped her face and smiled ever so sweetly.

From afar, Kwon Jiyong has been watching the family. He found himself smiling at Park Sandara's antics. No wonder this woman was the Park's little bundle of joy. He saw how her family adored her. While Madam Park proudly wrapped an arm around Sandara, Governor Park patted his silly daughter's head, and Won-Hee would pinch her nose making her frown.

"Daegam," Kwon Jiyong's view was interrupted by Moo Yeon that his eyes immediately switched back to their icy look.

"Speak,"

"I've checked the route. There's nothing suspicious."

"Keep an eye on her," Kwon Jiyong ordered. Moo Yeon bowed before finally preparing the guards that he will be taking with him.

Kwon Jiyong was a little anxious. While of course, the King had the area checked already, Kwon Jiyong wanted to make sure as well, especially when they were to leave the women in the care of the guards. It's not that Kwon Jiyong didn't trust them, but Kwon Jiyong was sure they were not fit to fight a creature who is stronger than hundred soldiers combined.

While Sandara's scent was faint today, still, he couldn't gamble. Choi Seunghyun and elder Dong had been talking about her scent since they've seen her and he couldn't risk her safety at all. There was something to it that draws them to her, Kwon Jiyong most especially, and he worried if there were any imoogans or imoogis around, she might accidentally attract them towards her.

When Yi Sung told him about dragons and s, the man was not actually making up those words. Kwon Jiyong just felt it was preposterous at that moment but years and years ago, humans have done rituals wherein they'd offer a to the seas and rivers where most imoogis prefer to live, to ease the drought. Most of these s were by imoogis, or eaten alive by imoogans so such act wasn't acceptable to the Dragon Realm. While it was true that s have that attractive smell to their kinds, Kwon Jiyong himself has never encountered anything like it.

Back with Ara, he had no idea about it at all so he didn't pay much attention to it but it was true that Ara had him drawn to her, the same exact way that Sandara was unconsciously doing now. More than before, he was sure that Park Sandara was someone significant for her to attract him, and to think she was even born with the same physical form as Ara. What her essence is for his ascension, that, he wasn't so sure.

A heavy feeling enveloped his chest. All these centuries, they haven't found Lee Seungri and Lee Chaerin yet... And more impossibly, Hyuk. He felt uncomfortable now that he and Ara were both in Gyeongju, the same exact capital of Silla years ago. Perhaps, it was just his mind overworking and realizing a lot of connections during his discussions with elder Dong. Or maybe, he just worried for Sandara.

While before, Ara was aware of his roots, Sandara was only an innocent woman who doesn't know anything about him at all.

"Daegam," Kwon Jiyong was suddenly distracted from his thoughts when Park Sandara walked towards him with a smile. She was wearing the hanbok that he personally ordered to be made for her and he had to approve it really suited her.

"You're ready?" He asked and Sandara nodded. She couldn't help but look up at him. Kwon Jiyong was wearing a red robe that suited his royal air. His sleeves were snug around his forearms which made him look even more masculine. She wished she could go with them to the hunt instead of going to the cherry blossoms fields. She pouted when she remembered she'll be seeing Sun Hae there again.

"What's the matter?" Kwon Jiyong wondered why she was frowning.

"Nothing," Sandara shook her head. Soon, Seol informed her that the palanquins were soon be leaving. Sandara bowed at Jiyong before finally retreating. 

Kwon Jiyong followed her with his gaze. He saw concubine Sun Hae approach Sandara with a smile but somehow that smile made him feel uncomfortable.

"Uncle, we need to go," Yi Sung approached him and despite his unease, Kwon Jiyong nodded and soon they were on their way to the hunting site.

 

Meanwhile, the women rode in their respective palanquins as they traveled to the cherry blossom fields. Sandara wanted to boast that the best blooms were at the Cherry Blossoms House but too bad, Head Mistress closed the institution. Besides, the route had b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter