Ulterior Motives

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Though Young wanted to travel the fastest they could back to the capital, the sudden rain with strong winds made it impossible for them to. Their troop decided to take shelter in a cave, while the Dark Den camped outside and kept check.

The King on the other hand had turned the palace upside down in search for Ara. Apart from this, the white celestial dragon's words kept him reminded that he was not the "One". His rage went beyond his limits and the first thing that he ordered his men to do was to find all of Ara's family and interrogate them so they could trace Ara's whereabouts. "Kill anyone who wouldn't cooperate!" He ordered ruthlessly. He also ordered the palace guards to find all elders and officials who supported the second prince and kill them all. 

The Queen was mortified by the news.

"Did they find Ara yet?" She asked her servant and when she learned that the lady was still missing as they spoke, relief washed through her. She thanked heavens that the girl managed to escape. 

She put the Dark Den at risk just to save the second prince. What was the use of saving Young when Ara was in the hands of the King? Young would never be able to accept it if Ara became the King's concubine. She was close to loathing Ara herself, but she still managed to keep her rational thinking. As long as Ara's safe and alive, the more she can get a hold of Young.

The Queen was a very smart woman and even before she married into the palace, back when she was still a crown princess, she had always been observant between the Hyuk and Young. They grew up together, being almost same-aged. She had always believed Hyuk was stronger and more befitting to be the King but in the end, she definitely chose where she would benefit the most. Young is the Chosen One. As long as she can guarantee the safety of Young and Ara, Young, when he finally turns into a great dragon, would definitely reward her.

And great dragons were never frugal. They were magnanimous and extravagant and could give you anything you want in the world. Though's she's a pureblood herself, it would take a thousand years for her to ascend. But the Chosen One, as everyone believed, will become a great dragon even before it reaches its thousandth year. She'll decide what she would wish for later on. As for now, she had to beat the King in finding Ara.

She rushed to her feet. She wasn't sure where Ara was but she had to find her first no matter what.

"Stay here and sleep in my bed." She ordered her maidservant. "Pretend that you are me and don't get up until I come back." When she went out, she made sure to tell the awaiting maids to tell anyone who comes that she's asleep and didn't want to get disturbed. 

With that, she took one other servant with her and rushed into the rain. She used the secret passage near the Southern part of the palace which she had always used whenever she had to meet with the Dark Den. When she and her servant passed through the thick shrubs, she noticed something.

"A pair of footsteps!" She gasped as she traced back where it came from. Turns out, the footsteps came from the right side of the palace. For the person to travel Southwest from the King's palace...

"She used this exit! Quickly! Let's go!'" The Queen didn't mind her dress getting soaked in mud. When she and her servant was able to pass through the thicket, they should be facing the walls covered with vines. But instead, even the secret door was open! The Queen was even more sure this time that she could find Ara.

Delighted, she and her servant followed the footsteps which trailed towards the forest but as time went on, their pace became slower and slower.

They were familiar with the path but the rain and strong winds made it hard for them. What made it worse was the fact that the Queen didn't have a healthy body to begin with. She had been the spoiled and sheltered one. While the cold wind would chill her to her bones, the rain would make her even bedridden for days! "Your Highness, this won't do!" The servant said before dragging the Queen under a bigger tree. "I'll go find some men to help us."

The Queen understood how serious the situation was and immediately agreed. She had always been the one with a good plan yet tonight she realized she could also be impulsive. But who wouldn't panic? A lot had crossed her mind as she waited. Would Young still be grateful to her for saving him if he comes back and Ara was still missing or worse, Ara had been in the King's possession? Certainly not. Hell, Young might even think she's an accomplice. No, she thought. That would never happen. She was even here to find Ara herself.

Dark Den guards however were everywhere, always on the lookout and all prepared just in case the Queen needed their help so it didn't take long before the servant came back with two dozen men trailing behind her. A young man in the same black garb as the others went forward and bowed before the Queen.

"Your Highness! I've told the others to track the footsteps! You can wait safely in one of our safehouses." Baek, a junior Dark Den commander reported and ushered her to safety.

They headed towards the nearest Dark Den safehouse. On the outside, a Dark Den safehouse might look like a simple wooden cabin used mainly as storage for woods and kindling but once the secret trapdoor was opened, the refuge stretches down under into a bigger hall at the basement, complete with a few barracks, a guest room, a kitchen, and a comfort room. At the lowest part was a small dungeon.

The Queen went int

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter