A Tacit Understanding

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

That night, Sandara sat by her favorite spot, by the window in her tea room, which has a better view of the huge residence just across hers. She used to think the courtyard felt lonely everytime the lights were out in His Excellency's residence, but now that the lamps inside were lit, she somewhat still felt despondent.

Unknown to her, Kwon Jiyong was sitting on the rooftop of her quarters. He took charge of guarding her residence every night the entire week that he was home, only retiring to his own room just before sunrise.

Kwon Jiyong felt tormented these past few days. He should be glad that Sandara was finally being obedient but why did he feel only worse? Whenever they'd see each other, the woman would only greet him half-heartedly, or sometimes, over the top politely, which was not her usual attitude. 

As foolish as it may sound, Kwon Jiyong felt he had lived for almost a millennium yet he'd never encountered anything as puzzling as his wife.

The next day, Sandara was surprised to see Jo Sanggung, Seol and Byeol arrive in her room to serve her.

"Manim, how have you been?" Jo Sanggung's smile was kind and heartwarming. Even if Jo Sanggung was the one who tainted her innocence, she still missed her kind and motherlike care. "Manim, Daegam finally lifted the punishment. This one is back to serve you."

"Really? Jo Sanggung, I'm really sorry for causing so much trouble," Sandara was so happy upon hearing the news, yet still very guilty for making Jo Sanggung and Moo Yeon receive punishments.

"Manim, it's nothing. I hope you can find it in your heart to understand His Excellency as well... I've known that boy for so long. He wouldn't act like that without a reason,"

Sandara nodded. Definitely, Kwon Jiyong has his reasons, but how would she understand if he's not willing to talk to her about it? 

Meanwhile, she noticed Seol and Byeol's unusual silence in a corner. "What's wrong with the two of you?"

"Manim... We received a message from Head Mistress earlier. She was asking us to go back already," Byeol explained making Sandara's smile fade.

She knew that the two girls were only here because they were given a break by Head Mistress. Of course she has no right to object Head Mustress' decision now that she wanted them back. Still, she felt disappointed and sad. She was banned from going out and now that Jo Sanggung was back to serve her, these two were saying goodbye? She already felt empty these days and she realized she was about to feel more suffocated inside the estate on the coming days.

"Manim, if it's possible, can we have an audience with His Excellency?" Seol asked. "We just want to thank him and say our farewell."

Sandara forced a smile and nodded. Seol and Byeol's thoughts were sincere. How could she say no?

After washing up and having her breakfast, Sandara went to visit her small garden beside her residence. She decided to look for Kwon Jiyong after.

"Manim!" Ryung rushed to her with a dipper in his hand. "Good morning!"

"Well, good morning to you, too, little Ryung!"

The boy only smiled widely when she patted him on the head. "Let me see how well you were doing your job..."

Ryung stepped aside, allowing her to check his work. He rubbed his scrunched up nose like an old man, beaming with pride for taking care of the small garden.

Sandara smiled in approval, seeing how Ryung took great care of the plants. The vibrant pink azaleas were in full bloom and the purple irises started to blossom as well. Sandara crouched down when she saw there were more little iris flower buds beneath, but then in the cornermost plot, a few small white and yellow bulbs caught her attention. 

She couldn't remember she planted some daffodils in here before. Was it one of the servants? She stood up and in a breath as memories of the same flowers came back to her, bringing her mood down once more.

"Is there something wrong, Manim?" Ryung approached her but she only faced the boy with a tight-lipped smile, rubbing his hair dotingly.

"You worked hard, Ryung-ah."

"Manim is very kind and generous. This one shall serve you until this one grows old!"

"Aigoo! Look at how you've become sweet-tongued, huh?"

Ryung only looked at her in amusement. Since he found a master to serve, then he shall make sure to serve her no matter what! Besides, master smells really sweet and nice that he wished she would hug him close to her again. Since that day he was roaming the streets of Hanyang aimlessly after waking up with a bandaged head, no one ever treated him kindly except for this lady.

"Since you did a good job, and you made me very pleased, I'll share my afternoon snacks with you, how about that?"

Ryung's cute little eyes widened in excitement as he smacked his lips in anticipation. He had long wandered in Hanyang but the best food is here in His Excellency's household, while the safest and warmest spot is beside Manim. 

 

However,the sudden thought of his master's husband made him frown. What if he sees him with her and bullies him again? 

That big bad old dragon!

"Manim, I think it's not a very good idea." The boy said. "If Daegam learns you are sharing your food to me, he might throw me out again."

"That's not going to happen. Didn't Jo Sanggung tell you? Daegam might look really scary but he isn't that bad,"

Ryung only nodded but when he looked up, his chubby hand flew to cover his mouth when he saw a cold and frightening form behind his master, looming over him.

"Manim..." Ryung's voice trembled. The man was looking at him with a dagger-like gaze, piercing through his soul making him rooted to his spot.

Sandara wondered why the boy looked so scared. When she turned around, Kwon Jiyong was already standing before her.

Sandara clutched her chest in shock, closing her eyes while she gasped for breath. How long has this ice berg been standing here?

"You look like you've seen a monster." Kwon Jiyong had his hands clasped behind him, his expression looked very much offended. He then glared at the boy.

"You, get lost!"

The poor little fellow could only run away as fast as he could. But after a while, he realized his master's husband seemed nicer today. At least he didn't pluck him up and toss him across the courtyard. It saved Jo Sanggung the effort of sewing and repairing the collar of his robes.

Sandara noticed this as well. Somehow she was relieved Kwon Jiyong didn't hurt the boy again.

"Daegam," Sandara finally bowed and greeted him properly. "I was just about to find you,"

Kwon Jiyong looked at her with interest and somewhat anticipation. She was going to look for him? "What for?"

"Seol and Byeol received a letter from Head Mistress telling them to go back. They were asking if it's possible to speak with you,"

Kwon Jiyong's face fell, yet somehow, he found himself nodding in agreement. "Mhm. Tell them to meet this Lord in the main hall. What time are they leaving?"

"Before the sheep's hour, Daegam."

"Then I'll see them later,"

"Thank you, Daegam." Sandara bowed.

Somehow, Kwon Jiyong felt uneasy. He really wasn't used to Sandara being so polite and formal to him. It only made him feel awkward. When Sandara turned away to look at the flowers again, he cleared his throat before speaking once more.

"I suppose, you liked the daffodils from before... So... I had a few ones planted here when we arrived from Gyeongju." Kwon Jiyong said before hurriedly turning his back to leave, feeling even more awkward than before. Suddenly wanting to add something more, he took a few steps back to her, this time looking every inch imposing.

"Water them carefully and don't

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter