New Beginnings?

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The entire dinner, Kwon Jiyong and Governor Park talked nonstop about the issues in the province over some wine. Governor Park even brought out his precious ginseng wine after they finished all the azalea wine. Sandara wanted to stop her father, basically because she didn't know Kwon Jiyong's alcohol tolerance but the latter just accepted the drink without any hint of refusal or hesitation on his face.

She was surprised though, at how familiar Kwon Jiyong was about Gyeongju. She didn't have to tell him twice the direction to their home when they traveled earlier, and now that her father was enumerating his concerns in the province, Kwon Jiyong seemed to be aware even of the smallest villages, oftentimes saying it out before her father could. Kwon Jiyong remained as distant and stern as before, but at times would smile and nod like an obedient son in law. Sandara found herself smiling as well.

If only abeoji know how lucky he is for making this block of ice smile. She couldn't even make him smile like that often.

Soon she decided to ask for her mother's help to prepare the beddings at one of their guest house just in case her husband would want to retire to bed. Though Seol and some of their servants cleaned the room earlier, she still wanted to make sure everything was to His Excellency's liking.

"Dara-ah..." Madam Park held held her hand when she finished spreading out the beddings. "I'm glad we gave you to the right person. My heart was finally at ease,"

Sandara smiled and hugged her mother. Whatever Kwon Jiyong was showing her parents, it must be for real right? She asked herself. Well, even if it's not and they were all just for a show, she was still thankful. At least her parents won't be worrying about her anymore.

"Seems like the rumors were true," Madam Park said, obviously delighted. "The people in Hanyang have talks about you and His Excellency. They said, he pampers you too much,"

Sandara was shocked to hear this. There were rumors about them? Well it's true... Lately, Kwon Jiyong had been really nice to her. Well, he's still cold and aloof most of the time, but sometimes he would suddenly change as if possessed, and do all the sweet things a husband should do to a wife.

But all those times, she was only thinking he did those things to protect her from humiliation. After all, if the royal uncle's wife loses face, it would count as him losing face as well.

But how did these things reach the knowledge of the people outside? Most of the time, they were inside the estate or at the palace. Just who could have spread the news about them?

She turned to her mother with a sheepish grin, not knowing what to say. Even her, herself, she was still bewildered with her husband's actions.

"Dara-ah... Your duty as a wife, you should be aware of it. Don't neglect His Excellency, alright?"

Sandara wanted to protest. When did she neglect him? More like he was neglecting her!

"You should nourish your body and prepare yourself for bearing a child."

*Cough!

"Eomma!!!" Sandara choked and coughed at her mother's words. Her cheeks became heated, turning  to a shade of crimson.

"Why? Did I say something wrong? I'll pack some herbs before you leave tomorrow."

"I'm not ready for it," Sandara mumbled making Madam Park slap her leg lightly.

"Park Sandara! Your duty is to give His Excellency an heir!"

Sandara only pouted.

Just the thought of seeing another stone cold being with Kwon Jiyong's face coming from her womb made her feel uncomfortable.

"Alright... Alright..." She pouted. "This daughter understands,"

Madam Park laughed at how silly her daughter looked. 

The mother and daughter's conversation only stopped when they heard a sudden sound just outside the room. When Sandara opened the door, it was Kwon Jiyong.

"Daegam... Where's abeoji?" Sandara wondered, while Madam Park stood up behind her.

"I sent abeonim to his chamber. He was very drunk," Kwon Jiyong said ever so naturally as if the wine had no effect on him.

"Aigoo! That old man had the guts to drink to his heart's content when his body couldn't keep up with it!" Madam Park angrily marched out of the room. When she remembered Kwon Jiyong was there, she shuffled back and bowed before finally leaving.

Sandara felt worried. She has never seen her father become so drunk all her life. Seeing this, Kwon Jiyong patted her on her head.

"He's fine. A bit drunk, but he's fine,"

Sandara looked up to him, still with an anxious expression all over her face. "How about you? Are you alright?"

Kwon Jiyong only nodded. Even if he was to chug down jars and jars of wine, he would still be fine.

Sandara then ushered him inside. "Daegam, we were short in preparation but we did our best to make this room comfortable enough for you. I hope it's up to your liking," she said, showing him the interior of the guest room, but Kwon Jiyong only looked at her with an icy stare.

"I don't like it," he said, making Sandara look around.

"Should I change the beddings? The lamps? Ah! I'll change the pillows to a softer one!" She rushed about as she took everything into consideration but Kwon Jiyong only left and walked away.

"Daegam wait!" Sandara ran after him. Damn this ice berg! How could he be so picky? So now that my parents were out of sight, he's finally showing his true colors while earlier he looked really harmless and nice?

What a total show off! She panted as she tried to catch up with him only to realize she had reached her chambers. When she looked up, Kwon Jiyong was already removing his boots before stepping inside.

Sandara stood stiffly to her spot. Why did he come here?

"What are you spacing out for? Come in quickly!"

Sandara felt her feet were planted to the ground, her ears filled with warning bells. Is he going to sleep with me in my room?

Well, this isn't the first time they've been inside the same bedchamber. But during the first time in his estate, she had no recollection that he slept beside her. This time, her room was small and she had no space for another set of beddings... Would it mean...

Sighing in defeat, Sandara could only stop dawdling and rush inside. When she got in, Kwon Jiyong was already in his sleepwear, his robes hung on her very own clothes rack. She hesitated but still slid her door close.

"Daegam... Are you going to sleep here?" she asked while Kwon Jiyong just casually nodded. Why did she even ask the obvious? The man was comfortably seated on her mattress and even acted as if it was his own home.

Sandara in a cold breath. She was so nervous but then it's not like she could prevent this from happening right? Park Sandara, listen to your mother. Remember your responsibility as His Excellency's wife! 

She decided to pull herself together and act as normal as she could. Soon, she removed her outer wears, leaving herself in her silk inner robes, skirt and pants. After that, she quickly ran towards her side of the bed and went underneath the blanket. She sensed Kwon Jiyong stood up, and when she took a peep, he blew the lights off before lying down beside her.

Sandara found herself catching her breath, her heart rammed wildly in her chest. Their arms were almost touching so she scooted to her right until she bumped into the wall. Hours dragged, and still sleep didn't come to her. She just waited for her to pass out due to the lack of air in her lungs.

A few moments later, she noticed Kwon Jiyong hasn't moved for so long. She thought he already fell asleep so she turned to his side and found herself mesmerized by the view. The faint moonlight from her window illuminated his handsome face and it has always made her wonder how could such a distant man look so peaceful when he sleeps.

She sighed. Does this count as me taking a step towards you or you taking a step towards me?

Either way, she was thankful he didn't step back. She even wished they could stay in Gyeongju longer. Once they're back in Hanyang, he would have to leave her in the estate again without knowing when he would come back.

She smiled as she recalled al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter