Everyone Has A Story To Tell

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Back In Joseon, Yi Sung had been dealing with political matters at day and secretly investigating about the queen's miscarriage at night. It was suspicious that the Northern faction had been silent for so long while Park Wonhee continued to report activities of the Southern faction. Meanwhile, Sun Hae showed no communication with the Northern faction where her family belongs to ever since she was found which made Yi Sung wonder if she already abandoned her clan. Concubine Bae Joohyun who was also from the Northern faction had always been silent as ever. She was someone who showed support for the queen even before, which somewhat excludes her from the suspect list.

That night, Yi Sung and Park Wonhee decided to spy at the villa where Sun Hae was currently residing. Disguised in Yangban's clothes, Yi Sung almost got a cramp while waiting for any suspicious guest that could arrive. It was almost midnight when he finally stood up and decider to call it a night.

"Wonhee-ah, let's go back to the palace."

"Yes, Jeonha," Park Wonhee bowed but just as Yi Sung was about to turn around, he saw someone arrive at the gates of the villa. He even rubbed his eyes to make sure what he was seeing was true!

What in the world was his mentor, Sandara and Wonhee's father Minister Park Ki-Hong doing here???

"Is there something wrong, Jeonha?" Park Wonhee asked, missing the sight of his father as he straightened up. Does Park Wonhee not know about his father's activities? Yi Sung wondered.

"Nothing," he answered in the end. He wanted to observe more and probably meet with Minister Park one day to ask why he met with Sun Hae.

 

________________

 

 

Inside the villa, Sun Hae served some tea for Minister Park Ki Hong.

"Please don't bother anymore. I'm going to leave quickly, anyway."

Sun Hae stopped pouring tea midway and smiled as she put the teapot down. "What is it, Daegam?"

"I am glad to see you recover. Minister Sun's soul would be finally at peace." The mention of her late father and the gentle face with a pure fatherlike smile of Minister Park stirred something in Sun Hae's heart. However, she refused to waiver. Replying with a tight-lipped smile, she nodded. "Thank you."

"The Southern Faction solidly decided to support your reinstatement as a third rank concubine."

"I am very grateful for your faction's support. I wouldn't be able to go back to the palace if not for your efforts—"

"However, I cannot give you the same support."

Sun Hae was taken aback by the sudden blunt and straightforward remark. Her hand shook a bit and almost dropped the tea cup she was holding. She took a a breath and tried to regain composure as she handed the Minister a cup of tea. "Minister Park, if the Southern Faction has given their support to me, it is obviously out of my hands. I cannot do anything about it. Why are you telling this to me?"

"I am only afraid we might misunderstand each other. A reinstatement after your deposal is just too sudden."

"Your faction greatly supports you and your daughter. If they turn their back against the queen one day and decide to support me, are you still going to ignore your faction's ideals?"

The old man bowed, his delicate brows knitted as his lips formed a delicate smile. "Whether I belong to the North or South politically, in my heart, my loyalty as well as my entire being only belongs to the King."

Sun Hae clasped her hands tightly. Just as expected, this old man was trying so hard to look like an upright official. How dare he come to me and tell it right on my face that he does not support me!

Minster Park rose to his feet and bade goodbye, but before he left, he spoke once more in a very solemn manner. "Lady Sun, one more thing. I hope, whatever misunderstanding or past differences you had with my daughter and the queen, I hope you find it in your heart to cast them all away and start anew. If the internal court is at peace, His Majesty will also be assured and unburdened. In the future, let us support the greater cause that Jeonha and Daewongun Mama had been working on for so long."

Minister Park had long been gone but Sun Hae was still blankly staring at the doorway. How convenient it was for Park Sandara to have a father who takes care of her misunderstandings with other people!

"Tomorrow, you shall enter the palace as a concubine again. You are slowly getting what you want, yet you haven't proven your use to me."

Sun Hae turned to the window only to find Hyuk sitting on the ledge lazily. A wicked grin played at the corners of the imoogi's lips. "Even the estate in Busan that you told me about was already empty."

"The Cherry Blossoms House?" Sun Hae asked. "It was closed?"

"It was sold off. Another Yangban owns it now."

Sun Hae wondered why Head Mistress would suddenly let go of the estate when it seems as if it meant so much to her. Come to think of it. There even was a time that she stopped accepting students after taking in Park Sandara. Could she also be only after the woman? And why is it that even Hyuk seemed so concerned about her?

Who is Park Sandara? Why does it seem that everyone was so engrossed about her?

"Why do you keep digging information about Park Sandara?" Sun Hae asked, making Hyuk narrow his eyes dangerously at her. Before Sun Hae even realized it, Hyuk was already before her, painfully crushing her jaw with his strong hand.

"You have no right to ask me questions. I spared your life. All I need for you to do is make sure to gather information about her and all the activities inside the palace. We're already clear about it, weren't we?"

"Y-y-es! Yes!" Sun Hae answered as she shuddered in fear. When Hyuk let her go, she slumped down on the floor and massaged her face. How would she show up tomorrow with a bruised face?

"Oh, by the way. That foolish King was spying outside with his guard." Hyuk scoffed as he retreated. "I wonder what you have done before that made him so suspicious of you even now."

When she lifted her head, Hyuk already vanished into thin air. Was the King still suspicious of her? 

Now that she was able to get her former position, she wanted to ditch the imoogi and keep siding with the Southern faction who is now backing her up. Who would have thought those old men would pick up something their enemies have thrown away just to establish their power in the court? Sun Hae snorted. Minister Lee Sungjae was one cunning man. All along, she thought Kim Byungchul was the bane among the King's subjects. It turns out, everyone else is just the same.

.

__________________

 

 

Inside the Minister Lee Byungchul's residence, the members of the Southern faction gathered to congratulate the Minister for his efforts to uplift the faction. Who would have thought supporting Lady Sun whose family used to be backed up by the Kims, would benefit them? It was as if installing their own representative inside the internal court. Ever since the Northern Faction's influence had become greater than theirs, the Southern Faction was not able to contribute any royal consort from their clan. Park Sandara was a failed attempt, although seeing how Kwon Jiyong favored her gave a sudden realization to Minister Lee.

Once Lady Sun shakes up the whole internal court, the King would definitely not sit idly while his beloved queen was being deposed. When the King is at his most vulnerable state, that was when they would launch a rebellion against him and put Kwon Jiyomg on the throne. In short, Lady Sun would only be used as a bait, after all, inside the pa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter