Strangers and Familiar Faces At The Imperial City

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The troop to Ming the next day consisted of only four front guards and four rear ones, with Moo Yeon on the lead and Hong at the back while Kwon Jiyong and Sandara boarded the royal carriage and Ryung sat beside the two coachmen. Sandara wondered why Kwon Jiyong left the rest behind but she didn't dare ask, seeing Kwon Jiyong's serious mood. While she made sure to enjoy the autumn foliage along the path and kept the window on her side of the carriage open, Kwon Jiyong remained seated on the other side, still preoccupied with a book he had been reading ever since they left Lijiang, not even giving a single damn to nature, and even to her. Despite his mood swings, she couldn't help but get mesmerized by him. She took a deep breath and sighed as she rested her elbow on the desk in between them, watching her handsome immortal husband longingly as she cradled her face.

Just how many falls had he witnessed that he seemed too uninterested to even pay a little attention to nature's beauty?

"Bored?" Kwon Jiyong asked as he flipped a page. He didn't pay her any attention and kept his eyes on the book. Sandara rolled her eyes. How long must she endure his coldness? Well, he's really not as cold as he used to when they first met, but for a husband and wife who already shared bed, wasn't he being too much? He was so into her yesterday, and suddenly he stopped and left her alone inside the bedchamber again. Why wouldn't he sleep with her these days?

"Yes. I'm so bored I could die." Sandara mumbled all to herself. Truth be told, what was there to be excited about this trip except for new sights and places to see? Every time she remembers that they were entering the dangerous den of a little minx named Zhu Yunhe, it was enough to make her skin prickle in irritation. What more when they cross paths again? Oh well, she reminded herself quickly that she would behave and tolerate the princess. After all, this visit concerns the welfare of the entire Joseon.

"Uncomfortable?" Kwon Jiyong asked again as he flipped another page.

"Both." Sandara answered briefly. "Your Highness, can I ask you something?"

"Mhm."

"How old are you?"

When Kwon Jiyong snapped the book close, Sandara finally grinned. She watched her husband narrow his eyes, his long lashes fanning his soft cheeks as he thought for a moment before asking her back in a very serious tone. "Are you sure you really want to know?"

Sandara nodded eagerly and waited patiently for his answer.

"I just turned nine hundred ninety nine years old two months ago."

Sandara's jaw almost reached the floor as she gasped in shock. She knew Kwon Jiyong had lived for so long but she did not expect he was that old! Well, he mentioned something about Silla before but still, it just would not sink into her mind. Was she blessed or cursed? If her parents learn about this in the future, how would they react? Definitely, things will never be so easy.

Meanwhile, Kwon Jiyong only flipped his book open and went back to reading once more. She was about to nag at him why he didn't even tell her about her birthday when Moo Yeon announced that they were approaching the main entrance to the Imperial City. When Sandara looked out, the huge gates of the fortress wall which was heavily guarded by the Ming army welcomed her view.

While she expected they would head directly to the palace, Kwon Jiyong suddenly ordered a detour towards another estate he owned. Sandara hadn't come down from her shock yet when she was yet surprised by Kwon Jiyong's estate inside the Imperial City. It was like a smaller version of a palace with tons of servants and guards.

"This was gifted to me by the emperor himself. This is where I stay whenever I am at the Imperial City." Kwon Jiyong said as he finally closed the book and inserted it into his robe. "However… I believe the emperor was just being nosy. Everyone working here are Ming people. It would be better for you not to trust anyone inside except the people you knew back in Joseon."

Sandara nodded, fully absorbing what her husband said as she took his hand when they alighted the carriage. Besides, which Joseon people should she expect to see aside from Ryung, Moo Yeon, and Hong and a few of their guards?

When the husband and wife entered the dream-like place, all the servants bowed as they passed by. Kwon Jiyong coldly ignored them and Sandara who saw this did the same. Kwon Jiyong noticed it and let out a small chuckle as he squeezed her hand.

"Was that too much?"

"Just act normally." Kwon Jiyong whispered but Sandara immediately let go of his hand when she saw something in the inner courtyard.

"Wisterias!"

Leading to Kwon Jiyong's chambers was a trail lined up with wisteria trees on either side. Despite its yellow foliage instead of purple since it's fall, it was still a sight to behold. Kwon Jiyong held her hand again and guided her as she walked forward, still looking up at the magnificent old trees.

"There are wisterias in Joseon too."

"Not too many," Sandara finally turned to him. "I've always found them beautiful and mysterious." Sandara paused for a moment before she smiled and went on. "Just like you."

Kwon Jiyong was taken aback by her sudden remark. He uneasily looked away and patted her head. "You only saw these trees and you are already in awe. What more when we go inside?"

Truth be told, Kwon Jiyong had been full of surprises lately. When they entered the room, Sandara let out a squeal of joy when she found Seol, Byeol and even Head Mistress waiting for her. She learned that the three arrived two days earlier upon her husband's request to assist her since it was her first time in a foreign country. Besides, even if Kwon Jiyong preferred Jo Sanggung over anyone when it comes to taking care of his wife, he knew that the old loyal servant would probably have a hard time traveling this far to a colder country considering her age.

 

Meanwhile at the Imperial Palace, Zhu Yunhe sat uneasily before the wide mirror. She wore a purple dress accentuated by a gold belt that highlighted her tiny waist and full bosom. As the maidservants combed her long black hair, Zhu Yunhe recalled Park Sandara's small face with abhorrence. Despite the fact that the Joseon woman had always pulled her hair up to a tight low bun and rarely wore rogue and cosmetics, her beauty still shone among all other women. In Ming, young women usually have their hair tied to a half bun, their long hair let down freely with delicate fringes making their face smaller. Ming people make use of so many jewelries too compared to Joseon people. In this case, does that mean Kwon Jiyong preferred simplicity over fancy, extravagant things?

"Remove all my makeup." Zhu Yunhe ordered. "And I want my hair tied to a low bun. Cut on too much gold jewellery too."

The maidservants were all confused. Since when did their lady dislike these eye-catching, fancy luxuries?

At the banquet hall, all the officials and invited guests had been waiting for the main event. Weren't they told that the King of Joseon and his royal uncle would be gracing the emperor's beloved princess's birthday? When all the members of the imperial family arrived including the emperor himself, everyone at the banquet hall stood up to pay respect. A few more minutes later, the eunuch announced Kwon Jiyong's arrival.

"Grand Internal Prince of Joseon Kingdom has arrived!"

Everyone fell silent as they waited for the entrance of the man considered as the adopted son of Ming. However, what they did not expect was the absence of Joseon's King and a presence of a woman whose enchanting beauty they have never seen in the entire empire before!

Standing beside the great and lofty Kwon Jiyong was his wife unexpectedly wearing a white dress from Ming. Her pale neck was donned with exquisite gold necklace, her long black hair tied to a half bun and was secured by a golden flower pin and flowed like a water as she walked with so mu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter