Heading To Ming

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Despite the protests from some scholars and doctors against the unjust punishment of the members of the royal infirmary and pharmacy, the officials gathered to congratulate the King for his efforts in restoring the peace in the capital. Minister Kim looked very somber despite this. His daughter lost the King's child and hearing rumors that the King found a new house for former concubine Sun made him even more uneasy. Minister Lee, however, surprisingly suggested a very unprecedented idea, coming from someone from the Southern faction.

"Jeonha, former concubine Sun has contributed greatly to the progress of this issue. Furthermore, she was falsely accused of running away from her isolation in the temple. Please consider reinstating her to the hugung!"

Everyone was at a loss for words. Former concubine Sun's father was from the Northern faction. Why is Minister Lee from the Southern faction, advising the king to reinstate Lady Sun Hae?

"I will think about it," Yi Sung retorted, making everyone even more shocked. Seeing that the King was quite favoring Minister Lee's suggestion, the Southern faction and even those from the opposite supported the Left State Minister, making Kim Byungchul even more furious.

 

Meanwhile, at Kwon Jiyong's estate, Sandara caught the news of Kwon Jiyong's departure to Ming from Moo Yeon. She rushed into the household but paused just right in front of the door to Kwon Jiyong's study. Despite living together, Kwon Jiyong stayed most of the time in his study, except of course, when he's having her for his meal. Sandara hesitated on knocking on the door, the feeling of invading her husband's privacy making her step back until she heard his voice.

"Come in." Kwon Jiyong spoke from inside just as the door slid automatically open. Sandara peeped in before taking small steps towards the wide desk in the middle where her husband was perusing some documents. "Why didn't you knock?"

"I'm afraid I might disturb you."

"Then you shouldn't have come in the first place."

Sandara frowned at him, annoyed by his arrogance. But before she could even storm out of the room, Kwon Jiyong was in front of her in a blink of an eye. With a sly grin, he bent down so he could see her scrunched up face.

"What did you come here for?"

Sandara looked away. "I heard you're leaving for Ming."

"Mhm." Kwon Jiyong straightened up as he admitted. "So you've heard."

Sandara scoffed at him. So he was never planning to tell her at all!

"Tomorrow, I'd wish to visit my family. I've been terribly missing them. It's been a while since I've gone home." Sandara told her husband, her stance showed she was not taking a no for an answer. She was in no mood to see him off when he leaves the day after tomorrow. 

Kwon Jiyong thought for a moment, but nodded in the end, to her surprise. "Take Jo Sanggung and Hong with you. I'll also assign a few guards to keep watch outside your family's home."

"How about Ryung? My mother is very fond of him." Sandara said. If Kwon Jiyong plans on getting on her nerves, then might as well annoy him too!

When Kwon Jiyong's mood darkened, Sandara inwardy grinned in satisfaction. Meanwhile Kwon Jiyong was wondering. 

Just what makes that little rat so likeable that even his mother-in-law adores him? "No. I'll take him with me."

Sandara could not believe her ears. However, she was somehow relieved to know there would be someone to accompany Kwon Jiyong to Ming. Besides, Ryung was one of her people. Whatever happens in Ming, for sure the boy would inform her. "When are you leaving?"

"The day after tomorrow."

"How long will you be gone this time?"

"A week, the most."

"I see. I shall pack our clothes separately then." Sandara turned away and left quickly, upset over the fact that Kwon Jiyong was being cold and indifferent. He didn't even bother telling her he's leaving. And for goodness' sake! He was heading to Ming where that cunning little minx named Zhu Yunhe is!

Sandara's blood was boiling. Even after packing their clothes and arranging her husband's things, she was still seething. She even slept in her old residence and what made her even more furious was that Kwon Jiyong seemed to be oblivious of her anger!

She didn't even see him when she left their home!

When she arrived at their home in Yeoju, her mother wondered why Sandara was in a sour mood. As she approached her daughter, she smiled an ever so kind and sweet smile knowing that all of Kwon Jiyong's people were surrounding them.

"Mama, perhaps the long journey made you so tired. Come and have some rest inside." Madam Park told Sandara.

"Mama, come let me assist you," Jo Sanggung was about to rush to help Sandara to her room but Madam Park stopped her.

"Jo Sanggung, why don't you enjoy the snacks my people prepared for you? You've been serving my daughter well for the past months. This mother is really thankful."

Jo Sanggung bashfully smiled and waved her hand dismissively. "Manim, this one is only doing what needs to be done. My duty is to serve Her Highness with all my heart. But if you insist…" Jo Sanggung could not help but grin. Come to think of it, this could count as a day off for her! Dragging Hong to sample the food on the table, Jo Sanggung smiled thankfully at Madam Park. The Park's estate had always made any visitor feel at home because of the family's hospitality and warmth.

When Madam Park was sure no one was keeping an eye on them, she almost dragged Sandara to her room.

"Eomma! That hurts!" Sandara frowned. As far as she could remember, her mother only uses force when she's mad, and when she's mad, she is even scarier than her father! What did she do this time?

"Tell me the truth! Why did you come here alone!" In Joseon, it wasn't really a good thing for a married woman to come home to her family without her husband.

"It's not as if thi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter