Who is Kwon Jiyong?

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was a relief that Gyeonggi province was just outside the capital. They headed straight to Anseong and followed the location on the small map and before daybreak, they were able to reach the city.

"Mama, what if His Highness finds out about this?" Hong asked as they looked around the still quiet central market of Anseong.

"Didn't I tell you that Doctor Lee's sleeping pill is very effective? That was what he said. Since I used five of them on His Highness' food and tea, that should make him sleep for days."

"Mama… Please don't get me wrong. I know finding Jo Sanggung is important but why do I feel this is very wrong?" Hong blabbered only to be ignored by Sandara. Wearing one of Kwon Jiyong's clothes and making sure she was carrying the jade token Kwon Jiyong gave her before, she disguised herself as a male so as not to earn attention and so that she could move freely. Besides, if Jo Sanggung sees her before she could even find the old lady, then everything she went through would be useless.

As they walked past the city square, Hong guided her to a small shop which sells rice cakes and other sweets. Sandara viewed the map again. Is this the place? She could not help but feel a little sorry for Jo Sanggung. She had a high rank among the palace servants and now she's alone in this place selling rice cakes. Kwon Jiyong, you are so heartless!

Hong looked around but the establishment looked like it was not open yet so he asked one peddler passing by.

"Excuse me, is this woman working here?" Hong showed the man a portrait of Jo Sanggung and the man thought for a moment. Realizing the man might think they were up to no good, Hong further explained. "Don't get us wrong. My Lord here only wants to repay the old lady for her kind deed."

"Ah… That old lady in the portrait is the owner, sir. But the shop is still closed. You might want to wait for a bit. She lives nearby."

"Do you know where?"

 

Soon, Sandara and Hong found themselves at the foot of a small hill. The peddler pointed on top of it and prepared to leave. Hong gave the man some gold coins before they went uphill and soon, a wide estate welcomed their view. Sandara looked around, unable to believe that this is where Jo Sanggung was staying but there really was no other house nearby. Hong immediately ran towards the gates.

"Excuse me! Anybody home?" Hong knocked on the wooden door but no one answered. Hong cautiously went in and looked around. "Anybody home?"

"Yes! Who is there?" Not too long, a woman wearing a wide farmer's hat ran towards them from the backyard. Sandara covered as she gasped in surprise.

It really was Jo Sanggung!

"Jo Sanggung! It's me! Hahaha!" Hong met the old lady and held her hands.

"Little Hong!" Jo Sanggung dotingly cupped the guard's cheek and smiled gleefully until Hong stepped aside.

"Jo Sanggung, someone came with me." Hong told her and soon, Sandara removed her hat and smiled tearfully at Jo Sanggung.

"Jo Sanggung, how could you leave just like that?"

 

________________

 

 

"Mama, forgive this one." Jo Sanggung said as she knelt before Sandara. "I am unworthy of your presence. Please go back to the estate before His Highness finds out!"

"Jo Sanggung," Sandara squinted her eyes at the old lady. "Are you shutting me out? Are you telling me to leave when I just arrived from a long journey?"

"Mama! Please don't misunderstand!" Jo Sanggung bowed even lower until her head reached the wooden floor. Sandara immediately rushed to help her rise and sit down.

"Jo Sanggung, please come back with me."

Jo Sanggung looked at Sandara, scanning her from top to toe. Despite her unfading beauty, her eyes seemed to have lost its usual life and luster. She still sounded as determined and willful as before, yet her expression looked a little confused and scared. Jo Sanggung sighed. Did Her Highness finally find out? Still, she owes her life to His Highness. How could she possibly break her word with him?

"Mama, I am already old and useless. I'm afraid I'd be more of a burden than a help in the estate. Please go back and—"

"Kwon Jiyong is one arrogant and mean and cold and heartless detestable bastard for telling that to you! He's ungrateful! After taking care of him, this is what he repays you?"

Jo Sanggung was taken aback by her curses but smiled when she finally got to the bottom of her ramblings. "Mama, is that what His Highness told you? Do you believe he let me leave the estate because of the reasons he told you? Mama, you have misjudged your husband."

"Huh?" Sandara stared at her in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"I betrayed His Highness' trust and hid Ryung's mistake. I deserve to be punished but he did not punish me. I knew the weight of what I did, and planned to take my own life but His Highness stopped me. I decided to retire out of guilt but he bought me this house and that small shop downtown. I decided to stay away in the end, and leave all my knowledge about him in the estate. But here you are, as curious as ever. I feel terribly sorry for leaving you, but I feel like I couldn't face His Highness anymore."

Sandara felt guilty for accusing Kwon Jiyong of being heartless when it was the other way around. How did things come to this? Why does Jo Sanggung feel so indebted to Kwon Jiyong?

"Jo Sanggung… I need you to tell me the truth… Who really is Kwon Jiyong?"

"Mama… Have you found out?" Jo Sanggung asked her back and Sandara shook her head.

"I have a few hunch and I deserve to know the truth. He told me he'll let me know one at a time but it's taking so long. I'm already so confused."

Seeing how Sandara looked so perturbed and troubled, Jo Sanggung straightened up and served her some tea before further going on. "I told you the royal uncle, who was once that little prince I took care of, has a red birthmark on his lower hip, right?"

Sandara nodded. "But I didn't see it on His Highness!" When Jo Sanggung smiled knowingly, Sandara felt heat rising to her cheeks. "I mean, we haven't consummated the marriage yet but there were certain unexplainable circumstances wherein—"

"Forgive this one, but at that time, I was only giving hints to you, Mama. I didn't know you would be here questioning me this soon. I told you that the royal uncle had that birthmark when he was young. But I never told you that the current Daewongun has it. It is because they were two different persons."

Sandara was left speechless as Jo Sanggung went on. She didn't want to interrupt, afraid she might miss a detail.

"It is true that the prince was sickly and was kicked out of the palace at a young age. Everyone thought he died one night, but the late King took his son's body and said that the prince had survived. When he came back as a young lord who had come of age, I started serving him once more but he refused to let any servant in his residence. He looked distant and aloof, cold and imposing, yet

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter