The Storm

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 
"I can smell your envy all over the palace. Young made another mistake for being able to get what you cannot, again." The crown princess sauntered into the court but the Crown Prince was not interested at all. He was still dazed, body slumped down the throne.

"My, my... Don't you look really hurt? Here we are stuck with each other without a choice while they were out there freely with their own lives to lead. " The crown princess was about to reach out to touch him but he caught her wrist and glared at her with his snake-like eyes.

"Get out of here before I kill you!"

The crown princess pulled away with a smirk. "You are getting closer to the crown and throne. You would not dare do something irrelevant to taint your hands."

"Right now, I am very tempted to," he hissed. "Get out." He sighed and sank back down to his seat.

"His Majesty has gained consciousness, just so you know. And he is looking for Young,"

The Crown Prince raised his gaze and for a moment he was silent. The crown princess smirked as she walked away.

"You might want to thank me for telling you immediately about it. I'll take a tour outside the palace as a reward."

 

************


"Have you prepared everything?"

"Yes, my lady. I gathered the best from our men. Well of course, I need to think first about your family's safety so I still left some competitive ones around." The man bowed before the woman in a cloak. The latter turned around and scanned the men lined up before her. She raised a brow and about to face her servant once more when a scent hit her.

"You sent one from our kind," She stated and the servant bowed again. "You sent your own son?"

"Don't worry, my lady. The whole clan knows that my son is gifted with enormous strength."

"Goguryeo is aware of that as well. And I don't think they went to the war unprepared for it. Look at what happened to His Majesty!"

"My lady... Us half breeds do not deserve such concern from the pure, noble ones. I could only thank the Dark Den clan for taking me and my son in. We vowed to protect our few remaining kins until the last of my breath, and we are even more willing than before when I heard you decided to serve the chosen One."

"Those who could not choose a side are cowards. Afraid of the consequences, how long are they going to stay in between? Besides, if the Chosen One ascends, aren't we going to benefit from it as well?"

"You are right, my lady. The prince might still be young but all of you three grew up together. I believe in your heart, despite being married to the Crown Prince, you still care for your childhood friend."

The crown princess regarded the man's words for a while before faintly smiling and directing her gaze towards the army. "Since you have prepared so well, I'm taking my leave."

The crown princess walked down the hall and past the training ground when she heard someone spoke behind her.

"You haven't changed one bit," It was the leader of the Dark Den troop that would go to war. "You certainly won't pick something that you cannot benefit from,"

"Say whatever you want to say."

"I was just wondering what made you suddenly change decisions. Does the Crown Prince not visit you in your chamber these days?"

"You!" The Crown Princess glared at the man but the latter just smirked at her. "Just don't forget your job. Protect the second prince at all cost,"

"If my lady says so."

 

******************

 

"Father," the Crown Prince rushed towards his ailing father after dismissing the royal doctor. The queen helped the King to sit up. She tapped her son's shoulder before standing up to leave but the King stopped her.

"Stay..." the King asked. Delighted that the matter might be about his coronation, Hyuk smiled to his mother and held her hand before turning once more to the King.

"Father, you have called for me. I'm here."

"Hyuk..."

"Yes father?"

"Son..."

Hyuk's enthusiasm was replaced with anxiety upon hearing how his father called him. He pulled his hand away from his mother and stood up. "What is it... Father?"

"Your brother Young... Where is he?"

Hyuk's lips twitched in anger. He balled his fists and  stepped back a bit. "Ah... Your beloved son?"

"Son..."

"Don't call me son!!!"

"Hyuk!" The Queen stood up and tried to calm him but Hyuk just pushed his mother away.

"How could you be so selfless, mother? This man only remembers us when he needs someone to take care of Young!"

"He is your father!" The Queen slapped Hyuk before kneeling down before the King. "Your majesty, please spare Hyuk. He is just worried about the current situation of the Kingdom. Please be more understanding of him—"

"Mother how can you be so shameless?"

"Queen, please stand up. I'm sorry but I might need you to leave us alone this time," The King weakly said and the queen could only do so.

"How could you easily dismiss my mother after she knelt and begged in front of you?"

"Your mother is very kind and understanding. I could not understand why you did not take after her. I was wondering if you took after me." The King chuckled bitterly. He took a deep breath, yet still sounded even weaker when he spoke once more."Where is your brother?"

"I don't know."

"Hyuk... Whe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter