Kwon Jiyong Takes A Day Off

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Meanwhile, Sandara had finished her bath and was looking for Ryung. The boy had a habit of running towards her everytime she finishes her bath to help Jo Sanggung carry her used clothes and other bath essentials. 

"Where did that little rascal go?" Jo Sanggung wondered as she looked around but after seeing the light coming from Kwon Jiyong's study, Jo Sanggung had completely forgotten about Ryung.

"Mama... Daewongun Mama is finally home a bit earlier than the usual. Why don't you pay him a visit?" Jo Sanggung asked as they entered Sandara's room. 

Sandara considered the idea, but felt embarrassed having had to always be the first one to reach out to him. If she continues to act like this, wouldn't it make her look too clingy? Besides, she fully understood that Kwon Jiyong's rank required him to work at extended hours more than before.

"No need. My whole body is aching from all the inspections and tidying up we did earlier. I want to rest." Sandara sighed before started drying her long hair. "You may retire to your room now, Jo Sanggung. Perhaps Ryung went to bed already. You both have walked too far back and forth. Thank you for your efforts today, Jo Sanggung,"

"Aigoo, that was nothing, Mama... I'm here to serve you and His Highness with all my heart."

But Jo Sanggung was an old lady who is very sincere and would go on great lengths to serve her masters a little bit more than what's needed whenever she had the chance to. After bidding goodbye to Sandara, she talked to Hong who was guarding outside. "Little Hong, are you sure you didn't see Ryung?"

Hong hesitated for a moment, but realized the old lady needs to know this so she won't create unnecessary disturbance in the estate. "His Highness took him. Be quiet, Jo Sanggung, alright?"

"My goodness!" Jo Sanggung gasped. His Highness still wasn't done with bullying the boy after all this time? Jo Sanggung tried to regain her composure and instructed Hong in the end.

"Then... You go tell His Highness this. Her Highness had tired herself out the whole day and is not feeling well."

Hong gave the old woman a strange look. Such things would only be a nuisance to His Highness. "His Highness didn't even ask me... Besides, General Choi was inside as well."

But Jo Sanggung refused to be defeated. "Then should I report it myself? Aren't you in charge of guarding Her Highness?"

Hong was at a loss for words. How could he win against Jo Sanggung after such a threat? The young man was about to march into His Highness residence when Kwon Jiyong suddenly appeared out of nowhere and blocked his way.

"Your Highness!" Hong and Jo Sanggung bowed before him. Just how long had this iceberg been out there listening in the dark?

"Next time, report these things to me immediately." He coldly said, before he walked past the two and went straight into Sandara's chamber. Jo Sanggung started giggling while Hong was left slack-jawed.

Did the iceberg hear it? Was he really that quick when it comes to Park Sandara? Unbelievable! Hong looked at Jo Sanggung with so much respect for understanding His Highness' heart and vowed to listen to the old lady's words in the future. No wonder the old servant was able to preserve her life this long!

Inside the chamber, Sandara was so startled to see her husband visiting her all so suddenly. She stood up and greeted him, and was about to give him her seat, but Kwon Jiyong only held her hand and guided her to sit down once more. He then went to sit behind her and took the piece of cloth from her, and soon he was drying her hair.

"Didn't I tell you to just let your family stay here?" He spoke sternly, the coldness of his voice traveled down to her spine, the chill made her skin form goosebumps.

"Your Highness, we've talked about this before."

Kwon Jiyong sighed. "You've really become even more disobedient lately,"

"I just don't want to add up to your burdens, Your Highness."

"Starting tomorrow, you're not allowed to go to Yeouju." Kwon Jiyong said. firmly. "I'll order other people to see things there for you. How's that?"

Sandara turned around to face him, and his ever so serious face welcomed her view. Sandara smiled when she saw him furrow his brows. Easing the crease on his forehead with her delicate fingers, she said, "Don't even bother,"

"I'm bothered." Kwon Jiyong refused to be moved. "Everytime you need to go somewhere without me.. Everytime I leave you alone for work... It bothers me."

Sandara looked up at him, stunned this time not by the length of words he said, but the words and the meaning itself. Does he miss me too? Sandara's heart was starting to do cartwheels inside her chest. Oh how she wished he could say it.

Unfortunately, Kwon Jiyong started to get awkward immediately. Where did his words come from? He only planned to check if Sandara was looking for the boy or if she knew he took the boy with him but why did he start blabbering such nonsense? Looking away, he almost threw the towel at her face when she started looking up at him with a foolish grin. She found it adorable so she started giggling even more. When Kwon Jiyong threw her a puzzled look, she gave him a peck on his cheek and held his big cold hands in her warm, small ones.

"I missed you, Your Highness," she said, looking up at him with so much sincerity and innocence that Kwon Jiyong felt uneasy.

"Mhm..." He retorted simply, and patted her head awkwardly. Enjoying his discomfort, Sandara wrapped her arms around his waist and rested her head on his chest making Kwon Jiyong finally laugh.

"You missed me this much?"

"Mhm!"

Kwon Jiyong finally let loose, and wrapped an arm around her. Tapping her back as they enjoyed the comfort of peace and silence, he was reminded of something suddenly.

"Have you heard of imoogis before?"

"Hmm. When I was young. That creature back at the top of the hill in Gwangju I was telling you, they say it was an imoogi. Aren't they horrendous?"

Kwon Jiyong didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Here she is bringing it up again. Should he just tell her it was him and make her judge for herself if he's really that horrendous? He shook his head, a defeated sigh escaping his lips.

"What's wrong?" Sandara pulled away and asked him anxiously.

Kwon Jiyong shook his head then stood up, taking her hand in his as he guided her into her study. He sat on her chair and pulled her to his left to make her sit on his lap. Sandara waited curiously as she watched him grab a brush and paper. And soon he started painting in black ink. 

"Does it look like this?" Kwon Jiyong asked when he was done and Sandara couldn't agree better.

"Imoogis are dragons that haven't developed yet. They are serpent-like, wingless dragons. They can look like humans if they wish to. They have powers, great strength, and wealth." Kwon Jiyong said, carefully gauging her reactions, but Sandara only listened intently. Kwon Jiyong drew another image which soon resembled to the creature she saw in Andong.

"Your Highness, that's an imoogan right?"

"Mhm." Kwon Jiyong nodded and put the brush down. "Most imoogis were good natured, which leaves some malevolent. When these bad imoogis mate or assault female humans, their offspring becomes an imoogan."

Sandara only nodded, carefully digesting the fact Kwon Jiyong was revealing. 

"And I kill these creatures for the kingdom. To maintain the peace in Joseon." Kwon Jiyong's jaw tightened when he spoke such lies. He knew it would be harder, for this was only the beginning. Sooner than later, he knew he would be spitting out more and more lies and the thought left a pang of guilt in his heart.

"Then the King knew about these creatures too?"

"Mhm."

"But what do I have to do with these imoogans? Why do I seem to attract them without this bangle?"

Kwon Jiyong heaved a sigh and cupped her face. "Because you're still a . And these creatures crave for your kind."

Sandara's cheeks turned heated and red and sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter