His Excellency Has Arrived

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Two days had passed and it was a surprise to everyone that Park Sandara was still in her room, all locked up. She refused to let anyone in, save for Byeol and Seol. She was a woman who disliked being confined in her room, so even the Head Mistress sniffed out there was something wrong. Soon, doctors and nurses paraded towards her residence inside the Cherry Blossoms House, but before Byeol and Seol could even knock at her door, she already walked out of it, making everyone halt their steps. The bearded doctor furrowed his brows. This lady didn't look sick at all. She was a little pale and sullen, yet she looked perfectly fine overall.

"Agashi, these are the doctors that Head Mistress sent to check on you. Please go inside your chamber. It's cold." Seol said as she urged her lady back into the room but much to her surprise, Sandara avoided her touch. Instead, the lady just stepped out and went to stand in front of the two doctors.

"I am fine." Sandara stated. She was used to meeting doctors and nurses and even used to aid them in infirmaries but she disliked being checked up by them. Probably because taking pulse needed contact and she didn't like reading complicated diagnoses of these geniuses. It made her headache. She just recovered her wits from the last time she had a 'lapse' of her so called gift, and she didn't want to see another nightmare. But how can she be checked without her pulse? She took a deep breath and said, "Quickly take my pulse if you have doubts," she said as she offered her wrists. She made sure to say 'quickly' louder. Soon the nurse put a handkerchief on her wrists before the first doctor took her pulse.

"Lady Park seems fit and well. Just a bit weak. I will prescribe a tonic so that you could regain your energy in no time." The older doctor, the Cherry Blossoms House trusted doctor, Doctor Ho, said. He stepped aside and beckoned the other doctor behind to step forward. This man was younger and tall. He quite has a dashing looks, a pair of gentle eyes, and his skin white and smooth as porcelain that Sandara unconsciously touched her face to check if her skin was any better after confining herself inside for two days. The younger doctor bowed politely at his teacher before bowing again at Sandara. This was Doctor Lee Donghae, Doctor Ho's student, as the latter briefly introduced. The tall man gently placed three fingers on the cloth against Sandara's wrist and felt her pulse.

"Hm. Lady Park seems to be bothered with some things. Please rest your mind and heart at ease. Worrying too much isn't good for health. I suggest Lady Park to drink calming tea at night."

Sandara stared at the man as he retreated behind Doctor Ho. His motions were as light as a feather's touch that she didn't see any flash of anything about the man when upon contact. Earlier with Doctor Ho, all she saw was sincerity, whatever the man said was clearly what was in his head. This Doctor Lee however...

Sandara shook her head. Is the handkerchief too thick? She was probably just overthinking things. Is her telepathic gift starting to malfunction?

She hastily stepped back and bowed a bit. "If there's nothing more then, I shall head back in," Sandara gracefully turned away and was about to enter the room when she heard someone spoke once more.

"Doctor Ho, if I may add, a mother's care is still the best at times like this, isn't it?"

Sandara let go of all the reservations she had and instantly rushed down the stairs when she heard Doctor Lee spoke those words. What an angel! She thought. Could this mean there's a chance for her to go home?

She excitedly wore her shoes and rushed towards Doctor Ho but the old man just glared at her and cleared his throat. She looked weak earlier. Was she faking it?

She actually wasn't, in all honesty. Doctor Lee's words just boosted her mood. By tons!

Sandara lowered her head as she stepped back. When she felt her two servants close behind her, she carefully stopped so that she won't bump into them, especially into Seol, still afraid of seeing another horrible scene.

"This lady would appreciate it if Doctor Ho tells Head Mistress about Doctor Lee's suggestion." Sandara looked away as she coughed a bit, not noticing the handsome doctor was already suppressing his laughter. A little while later, she secretly glanced at the handsome young doctor and when she saw the man was discussing some more with the older doctor, a sly smile crossed her face.

"We will discuss with Head Mistress then," Doctor Ho finally said that almost made Sandara jump up and down in joy. She clasped her hands and bowed again as she mentally thanked that younger doctor she only met today. She stood there until the doctors and nurse were already gone and when she turned around, she was welcomed with two pairs of prying eyes.

"What?" Sandara regained her composure and raised her chin. "What are you two on about?"

"Aigoo, agashi! That doctor... Who was he again?" Byeol asked and it was a refreshing to see her giggle and act her age sometimes.

"Doctor Lee Donghae!" Seol answered as she went beside Sandara. She started poking her lady as she teased- "You two look good together, agashi!"

"You! Stop it!" Sandara caught Seol's hand to stop her and when she realized it, she immediately let it go. It was weird though. She didn't see anything wrong now. This time, she didn't see anything in the girl's thoughts!

Truly weird!

Sandara then pulled the girl into a hug, and was the same. All she heard were her thoughts, so pure and childish. Seol was wondering why her lady was acting really strange today, and thinking if she should with the doctor some more.

"Stop! Don't even think about it!" Sandara scolded as she hugged the girl tight. "Seol-ah, if Head Mistress allows me to go home, will you come with me?" She asked. Though there were no scary scenes this time, she was still worried for the girl. She pulled away and beckoned Byeol as well.

"You too. Will you come with me?"

The two just nodded and looked at each other happily before they answered in chorus. "If Head Mistress allows, we will!"

 

------------

 

The hondam arrived earlier the next morning, almost just after Governor Park arrived from Hanyang. Madam Park was pacing back and forth as the Governor opened the scroll in his study. He read the contents and simply rolled it back once more before gently setting it down his desk.

Madam Park was frantic. She didn't understand why her husband was still so calm about it.

"Yeonggam! How is it that you're still sitting there calmly when our daughter is going to be the King's concubine!"

The man just looked up at his wife before rising. "Hm. You're right. We only have a day to prepare."

"Yeonggam!" Madam Park sighed hopelessly. They had talked about this before. What's the use of keeping Sandara away? Had all their efforts been put to waste? They haven't even found a perfect husband for her yet!

Who would even imagine it's going to be the King in the end and that their daughter now was going to be reduced as a concubine?

Well for others, being the King's concubine might sound a big opportunity, but words about the Queen maltreating the other concubines had been going around for a while now. To top that off, the Queen's father, Minister Kim, was an ambitious man. He wouldn't just sit down and allow any other woman to get the King's favor besides his own daughter.

"This isn't what we want for her!" Madam Park angrily whined but the Governor just walked past her and towards the door.

"The King already declared this marriage. We cannot say no to this, nor step back from this."

"How about Sandara? Have our efforts become all useless in the end? Our daughter is going to become a concubine!"

Governor Park gritted his teeth. Sandara was their house's treasure, a very special one. What kind of father would want his daughter to be reduced to a concubine. Of course, he won't allow his daughter to become one!

But he trusted the King's plan. And if he had to lie to his wife just to protect their plan, he would.

He patted his wife's shoulder to calm her down and smiled at her gently. "Do you trust me?" He asked. When Madam Park defeatedly sighed, Governor Park smiled even wider.

"The King will never forsake us. Trust me. Sandara was not someone destined to be only a concubine. And this marriage might as well save our daughter and keep her safe. It's not like we can make her stay in Cherry Blossoms House forever, right?"

Madam Park seemed to have calmed down a bit as she nodded but the husband and wife were startled when the door suddenly swung open revealing Sandara who's face was full of shock.

"D-d-ddal!" Madam Park was surprised to see her daughter in front of their doorstep. Why did she suddenly come home?

"What happened? Are you sick? Did something go wrong?" She asked as she cupped her dear daughter's face but Sandara was still completely dumbfounded as she stared at her guilty father.

"I'm... I... Me... I'm..." she couldn't go on speaking without stammering. "I'm..." she covered before she finally was able to say it.

"I'm going to get married???"

 

 

A few moments when it finally sank down in her head, Sandara was smiling goofily while slapping her leg. How she wished Head Mistress allowed Seol and Byeol to stay with her so that she'll have someone to giggle with. Sadly, the two servants only accompanied her home along with her four guards and then went back immediately to Busan.

When earlier, it was her who was shocked, this time, her parents were left speechless upon seeing their daughter seemingly delighted to hear the news.

"My little girl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter