The Hidden Flower at The Cherry Blossoms House

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Any news about uncle's whereabouts?" Yi Sung paced back and forth, giving off an air of an old man despite his young age. Chief Eunuch Lee Soogeun could only follow him go left and then right with his eyes making him dizzy for a while now, while the man being questioned, the King's personal trusted guard Park Won-hee was kneeling on the floor. He was a man about twenty seven, tall and dark, he was manly and strong in every inch. This man was Governor Park's eldest son, the one who topped the military exams at his young age of twenty one.

"We weren't able to meet him personally but—"

"But?" The King suddenly grew curious and stopped pacing finally. The Chief Eunuch found himself sighing in relief.

"On our way to Ming, we met Kang Daesung, the one who manages His Excellency's estates and this servant learned that this week, His Excellency might arrive. As a matter of fact, Kang Daesung was on his way to prepare His Excellency's residence,"

Yi Sung's eyes brightened in delight. He clasped his hands and started walking back and forth once more, now excited and livelier than before. "Anytime this week? That soon? Seems like uncle finally heed my call!"

Park Won-hee's ever serious face lit up a bit with a smile, mentally congratulating the King's efforts in wooing the aloof and cold royal uncle. But can that uncle say no to the King? That guy obviously favored Yi Sung so much!

"Chief Eunuch, prepare a grand banquet to welcome my uncle!"

Chief Eunuch Lee Soogeun deliberated for a moment. He didn't want to ruin the King's mood but what the monarch wanted sounded like a very bad idea. This is where the King's true age showed, it was his weakness. He was still quite impulsive when he gets excited.

"Chief Eunuch, why aren't you still standing there? What? Do you have anything against it? Speak!"

"Jeonha!" Eunuch Lee cried out helplessly, "Please listen to this loyal servant of yours! A grand banquet seems inappropriate in a trying time such as this. If the people learn that we are welcoming His Excellency with a grand banquet here in the palace, the people might harbor hatred towards you, Jeonha!"

"You!" Yi Sung's cheerful mood was replaced with annoyance but later on, he realized that his eunuch was right. Feeling helpless, he sat down as he pondered while tapping his feet on the floor. He turned to Park Won-hee and waited for the man to say his piece of mind but what can he expect from the man? That man had always been so quiet that unless he was reporting to him, his answers would always be yes or no.

"Won-hee... What do you say?" He deliberately asked for the man's opinion. Surprisingly, the latter's answer was somehow longer than the usual.

"This loyal subject believes Chief Eunuch is right. The general public is sensitive because of the drought and holding a banquet at this time might make things worse. Please reconsider your decision, Jeonha."

Now the King felt even more sulky. He had always been wanting to impress his uncle after all, how many years had it been since they last saw each other? Three? Four years? He missed him dearly and had always sought for his fatherly care. It was a shame already that Joseon was facing a huge crisis now that his uncle is returning and it was even more shameless that he was even looking forward to his advise regarding the matter, so of course he wanted to welcome him with something grand.

But how when he has to consider the Joseon citizens' feelings as well?

"Jeonha," Eunuch Lee spoke once more. "If this servant may add, His Excellency himself was never fond of celebrations and is very private. His Excellency even disliked entering the palace except for important matters. Jeonha should be clearer about this than anyone else."

The King understood what his eunuch meant. Honestly, his young pride was hurt. He was turning eighteen, just about a year and a half after he rose to the throne, when his uncle left Joseon. He only wanted to boast a bit to his uncle now that he was already king for six years, wanting to show off a bit that he's become more matured now.

But the truth in his two loyal subject's words made him look amateur and incompetent. He sank even lower in his seat as a sigh escaped from his lips.

What did his uncle like the most? He wondered for a moment until a sudden idea ignited in his mind.

"Prepare me a set of clothes for two days!"

Chief Eunuch Lee side-eyed the King, his small eyes turning into even tinier slits. "Jeonha... Don't tell me—"

"I'll welcome him in his residence! I'm going out of the palace in disguise!"

The Chief Eunuch was about to complain and even turned to Park Won-hee for help but the latter just paid respect to the King and bowed before retreating. Chief Eunuch Lee Soogeun whined all to himself. What's the use in nagging when the King, finally after a long while, had become livelier and enthusiastic?

He was about to withrdraw as well when the assistant eunuch outside announced someone's arrival.

"Jeonha! The Chief State Minister is seeking audience!"

 

 

"Please, Jeonha... Allow this marriage to happen."

The King stared at Kim Byung Chul in disbelief. He was the father of the Queen. Why would he want another concubine to enter the inner court? Wasn't it his opponent, the Left State Minister Lee Sungjae's idea afterall? Why did he seemed to fully agree with him?

He didn't speak, but listened more to gauge his intentions.

"Jeonha, if it's what could calm the heavens, then by any means, we need to make all things possible to provide you an heir. Forgive this official's daughter for not serving you well for the past years. But do not blame it all on Jungjeong Mama. This official, instead, is to blame for all the things she lacked."

Ahh... The King finally realized. So this man wanted to clear the name of the Queen from all the gossip. He now understood. A part of him though wanted to defend the Queen, yet he didn't know what appropriate words to say, so he simply asked a question.

"When do you think is Minister Lee coming to propose this matter?" He asked, purposely staying away from the mention of the queen.

"Tomorrow morning, the earliest. I've heard that the other faction has picked a very promising family."

The King simply nodded, not one bit interested in his next concubine. "I'll consider your advice."

The official bowed and thanked him briefly before leaving. 

When the senior official was outside, he made sure no one was following him when he made a turn towards the Queen's quarters.

He carefully summoned his sister, the senior court lady taking care of the queen, and handed her a porcelain bottle.

"Was she able to take the previous one?" Kim Byung Chul asked.

"Yes. But when she discovered about it, she refused to eat her meals."

"Useless wench!" Kim Byung Chul angrily snarled.

"Don't worry, I already disposed that servant."

"You better did! This time, make sure you do it yourself! The inner court is about to be shaken by another concubine and that ungrateful daughter still hasn't conceived any child!"

The court lady quickly understood and hid the bottle in her sleeve before running her way to the kitchen.

 

 

The King's high spirits that afternoon was replaced with unfathomable unease and discomfort. He gave up on sleep and stayed the whole night pondering on things. One, Minister Lee's marriage proposals which he received early in the morning, exactly as what Minister Kim had predicted; two, Minister Kim supporting the proposal despite his status as the Queen's father; and third but the most shocking of all, Gyeongju Governor Park Hong Ki's daughter as the nominated concubine.

So his trusted mentor has a daughter? Meaning, his trusted guard has a younger sister? How come he didn't know?

He tossed and turned all night, pessimistic about the intention of the two clashing factions, but the mention of his teacher's family in the marriage today made him take into consideration the pos

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter