Treading Dangerous Waters

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Lee Donghae finally heaved a sigh of relief when he realized Kwon Jiyong only went to the Hidden Seclusion, probably to inform elder Dong about the matter. He decided to return to the estate only to find Sandara gone. The doctor shook his head as an ache brewed in his head. He just arrived and now he had to leave again to find her. Somehow, Lee Donghae had an ominous feeling about this. It wouldn't take long until these two finally argue again.

Meanwhile, Sandara and Hong spent the entire day in Gyeonggi province upon receiving a report that Jo Sanggung had a relative there. They wrote notices and spread posters of Jo Sanggung all over the city but failed to see even Jo Sanggung's shadow.

"Mama, we can't stay here for too long. We need to be back at the estate before sunset." Hong told Sandara who was busy sending posters of Jo Sanggung to the passersby. Sandara stopped for a moment, acknowledging Hong's advice and decided to return home.

Somewhere in the woods where her porters and palanquin await her, Sandara felt a stinging pain on her back, just below her shoulder. She managed to ignore it, until she remembered a dream she had before. It felt too real back then, is it coming true now?

She touched the back of her right shoulder, rubbing it to ease the pain, but it was still there.

"Mama, are you alright?" Hong asked which made Sandara straighten up and force a nod. She was about to enter her palanquin when she heard a ringing sound in her ear, the same thing she heard every time she tried to read Kwon Jiyong's thoughts, and when Ryung tried to send her a message earlier. Soon, the ringing was replaced by a voice she's heard before.

"I know where the old lady is. If I prove myself right, would Her Highness finally grant me an audience?"

Soon there was a swooshing sound and Hong quickly positioned right in front of her when he saw an arrow coming their way. But much to their surprise, it only landed on the ground. Hong pulled the arrow and took a note.

"Mama, I think this is for you,"

Sandara read the note carefully. It contained Jo Sanggung's poster, as well as a certain location.

Sandara looked around only to see a man wearing a straw hat on top of the hill. A smirk formed on her lips as she rolled the paper into her sleeve before turning to Hong.

"Let's go back. It's already sunset. We don't want Daewongun finding out about this, do we?"

"Yes Mama!"

 

_______________________

 

Kwon Jiyong returned to the estate immediately after talking to Dong Youngbae about Hyuk and Lee Seungri. He was still preoccupied by emotions, which was so unlikely of him, but he admitted to himself he was wrong for being impulsive and leaving Sandara alone when Lee Seungri was inside his estate. When he arrived, he went directly to find her. The two maidservants just outside Sandara's chambers were startled though when they saw Kwon Jiyong. 

"What's the matter?" Kwon Jiyong asked coldly, giving the two young girls a fright. How could they possibly tell him their lady still was not home?

"N-n-othing, Your Highness!"

Kwon Jiyong directed his eyes to the door and immediately took a step up the stairs only to be blocked by the maidservants.

"Her Highness said not to let anyone in, Mama. Forgive us."

Preposterous! This is his estate! Which door can't he open? Which room can't he enter? Kwon Jiyong glared at the two making them shiver in an instant. Sensing something was off, Kwon Jiyong immediately barged in only to find the room empty.

"Where did your lady go?" Kwon Jiyong asked once more, making the two quiver. "Speak!"

"Your Highness, forgive us!" The two maidservants chorused as they fell on their knees.

Just in time, Lee Donghae arrived after not being able to find Sandara. Not knowing Kwon Jiyong had already come home, he went straight to ask the maidservants if Sandara already returned, only to find them kneeling before Kwon Jiyong. He was about to retreat but it was too late for him to realize another trouble was about to happen. 

Behind him, Park Sandara was looking up at him innocently.

"Doctor Lee, what's the matter?"

Sandara's voice was enough to catch Kwon Jiyong's attention. As soon as he saw his wife with Doctor Lee, his face darkened as if storm clouds were all over his head. Meanwhile, Sandara finally noticed the gloom in Kwon Jiyong's face.

"Your Highness," She walked towards him and greeted him but Kwon Jiyong remained glaring at Lee Donghae. "Your Highness?" Sandara called him once more only to earn his scowl.

"Where have you been?" He asked coldly.

"I…" Sandara turned to Hong who was just behind Lee Donghae. "I just went out for a while with—"

"Never mind," Kwon Jiyong threw Lee Donghae a look of contempt before suddenly turning around and marching away, leaving Sandara hanging open.

Just what is wrong with him? Sandara clicked her tongue and walked towards the two servants.

"Get up, it's alright," Sandara told them. Meanwhile Lee Donghae was just as surprised as Sandara, despite understanding what Kwon Jiyong has been going through. Hong walked past him and eyed him with a grin before speaking to Sandara.

"Mama, I think His Highness misunderstood!" He chuckled. "I think His Highness is jealous!"

Sandara rolled her eyes and shook her head in disbelief, but the thought made her even more curious. Is Kwon Jiyong really jealous?

As she soaked herself in her bath after a tiring day, the thought still lingered in her head. She laughed all to herself when she was reminded of Kwon Jiyong's expression earlier. How ridiculous!

But somehow, it reminded her too that Kwon Jiyong had always been wary of Lee Donghae despite allowing him in his estate. Could it be, he is really jealous of the doctor?

"Pfffft!!!" Sandara tried to suppress her laughter but ended up laughing out loudly. She shook her head and thought how silly Kwon Jiyong could be, until she was reminded that there was still so much to know about him. Just why won't he just simply tell her about him?

And this man named Hyuk… How did he become Kwon Jiyong's brother? As far as she knows, the late King only had one brother and it's Kwon Jiyong. How in the world did Kwon Jiyong become another man's brother? And why is this Hyuk starting to help her? What does he want from her? What book of prophecy is he looking for in Kwon Ji

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter