The Little Burglar

The Last Imoogi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(banner credits to @marraroma ❤)

 

When Sandara, Byeol and Moo Yeon came back that afternoon, Kang Daesung gladly reminded their lady that His Excellency will be coming home tomorrow. Sandara didn't understand why, but somehow the news made her excited.

The whole night, she sat at her favorite spot and stared at the dark residence across her, wondering about the man. There were so many questions in her head. It has been almost a month since they got married, and so many things have happened during those time, but their moments as husband and wife were very limited. 

She wondered if there will come a time that Kwon Jiyong would open up to her, and share his burdens with her.

Kwon Jiyong, what's keeping you busy?

Kwon Jiyong, where do you usually go?

Kwon Jiyong, why do the servants know more about you?

Kwon Jiyong... 

She sighed as she cradled her face and rested her elbows on the window ledge. 

Kwon Jiyong, why are you so mysterious and cold?

The walls of her tea room have been pulled close, and the only left open was the window she was leaning on to. As she stared across the courtyard, she found herself getting drowsy with all the questions in her head.

The next day, Sandara decided to ask for Jo Sanggung's help in the kitchen. She wanted to prepare some dishes for Kwon Jiyong when he arrives, though she wasn't sure what time the man would come home.

Fortunately, Kang Daesung gave her a tip. He said, His Excellency might arrive after sunset. So Sandara and Jo Sanggung made sure to prepare dinner for him.

But it has been hours since dinner yet Kwon Jiyong still didn't show up. Soon, a message came in and Moo Yeon informed them that His Excellency had arrived in Hanyang but will be staying somewhere else. Of course, Kang Daesung, Jo Sanggung, and Moo Yeon knew His Excellency was pertaining to the Hidden Seclusion. But Sandara felt bad because she knew nothing about His Excellency's whereabouts. Besides, what husband would prefer sleeping in a different house than his own? 

Sandara lifelessly walked back to her quarters.

Seeing how disappointed Sandara was, Jo Sanggung nagged at Kang Daesung. The man put their lady's hopes up only to be shattered by this announcement.

Inside Sandara's room, she started to have dinner on her own. She cooked a lot of hearty dishes and sweets, but to her surprise, she had no appetite at all.

When Seol and Byeol arrived, the two urged her to eat more.

"I'm sorry, I really can't anymore. Maybe it's because I've been sampling and tasting all of these in the kitchen since earlier?" Sandara laughed but the two just pouted, feeling sorry for her.

"It's alright. As long as His Excellency is safe, it's alright. Wouldn't everyone be happy about it though? There's so much food in my kitchen for everyone to enjoy," Sandara just smiled at the two. She decided to take some rest before washing up.

After an hour, Jo Sanggung, Seol and Byeol told her that her bath was ready. She dismissed Seol and Byeol and made them have their dinner.

Jo Sanggung helped Sandara ease out of her clothes inside the bath and helped her undo her hair. 

She sighed in regret for her master. No matter how cold a man is, how could one ignore such beauty? Shouldn't he feel excited to see his beautiful wife after a long journey? 

But Sandara wanted to leave all her cares to the world. When Sandara stepped into the bath, she let out a long hum of satisfaction.

Ah, what a long day! She sighed as she scooted to the side of the tub. Too bad, all her efforts were only put to waste. Jo Sanggung was about to help her scrub her back when she suddenly remembered something. "Aigoo! Forgive this old servant! I forgot to bring some chamomile essential oil! This one shall quickly get it!"

Sandara just laughed at the old lady as she left her. She would always drop a few chamomile or rose oil in her bath water and the old lady must have noticed her habit. 

Feeling her taut muscles relax in the warm bath, Sandara leaned back to the edge of the tub and closed her eyes for a bit. She was enjoying the calm and peace, nearly falling asleep when suddenly, she heard a commotion outside.

"Thief! There's a thief!"

Sandara's eyes flew open immediately. That was Byeol's voice. There's a thief? She gasped. His Excellency's household was heavily guarded inside and out. How could such a burglar easily break in?

And of all the times, it had to be now that her husband, the head of the household, was not here? Sandara couldn't help but wonder but before she could even think further, she rose from the tub and wrapped herself in her white silk underskirt. Hearing that the commotion getting nearer, she slid the door to the side entrance of the bath and walked towards the service exit. She opened it a bit to take a peep on what was going on outside but then a force suddenly flung the door open, causing her to stumble back a few steps.

Sandara was overwhelmed by the shock and she let out a loud shriek before she clamped when she finally saw the little intruder.

A familiar cute little boy not more than six years old, blinked up innocently at her. His eyes were big with puffy dark circles underneath, his nose as cute as a button, his mouth still smudged with mung bean cream and some pastry crumbs. While he was in tattered clothing, both of his hands were securely holding some sweet and colorful rice cakes, his chubby legs were dirty, his small feet bare.

Having arrived to a dead end, the boy must have finally realized he took the wrong path. His lips quivered as he stepped back, about to run away but the guards were already heading their way. Sandara gasped as she turned to the familiar little boy once more.

"It's you!" Sandara exclaimed. "It's you right? At the market!" She couldn't be wrong. Isn't this the same boy who asked for rice cakes instead of money?

The boy nodded and finally recognizing her, he held the rice cakes in one hand before fumbling through his dirty robes. Soon he fished out a small blue purse and gave it to her.

Her purse! "Where did you get it?" She didn't have to check the contents for it was still heavy.

"I found it and was looking for you but I couldn't find you. I was passing by and sniffed out some food from here so I..." the boy his lips and wiped his snot making Sandara laugh at him.

So this boy is the thief? How could someone so small break into the household easily? Poor thing must be so hungry to muster up his courage to barge into the estate!

Sandara immediately locked the door before pulling the boy by her side and crouching

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter